Opinion on Setup

not2quick

I have a sx-828 paired with some clean cs911a's. I really have my heart set on some HPM100'S or CS99a just because they're classics and I've never owned them. Some HPM100's are available but they're pricey $350. Pretty clean but pushed woofer caps(looks very fixable) and a planter ring on one. My question is how would the sx828 compliment those 100's? They would be under powered a little I guess. Also thinking what a fair price on the HPM's would be.

Justin

The 828 has plenty of power for either set you speak of. Both are very efficient. Can't really speak about price on this forum. Just go on ebay and see what HPM's bring and I think you'll figure out pretty quickly what kind of deal you're getting. Incidentally, the 828 may be just about the nicest piece of eye candy Pioneer ever produced in its receiver line.

I have a sx-828 paired with some clean cs911a's. I really have my heart set on some HPM100'S or CS99a just because they're classics and I've never owned them. Some HPM100's are available but they're pricey $350. Pretty clean but pushed woofer caps(looks very fixable) and a planter ring on one. My question is how would the sx828 compliment those 100's? They would be under powered a little I guess. Also thinking what a fair price on the HPM's would be.

Justin

Hi Justin,

Welcome to AK!

The 828 is a good receiver, and will pair well with the HPMs.

Not really allowed to talk money as gbroot stated... But since you asked...

Run, don't walk! $350 is a deal you probably won't ever see again..

Would love to see the set up if you get them!

Good luck.

Kind Regards,
John

HPM 100s are excellent speakers. They sound fantastic. You will love them. As others have said, they are very efficient and will sound great with your receiver.

Well previous deal did not go through. Found another set in great condition. They are the 200watt version though. Will I be severely underpowering these if using my sx-828? Just don't want to damage the speakers.

Justin

You don't understand. 200 watts would be the recommended maximum to power these speakers with. They are very efficient which means you only need a little power to play them and have them sound great. Speakers from the 70s were often rated with how much volume they'd put out with one watt of power. The higher volume from that one watt of power, expressed in dB, the more efficient the speakers.

Or you could equate it with HP per pound....... a Ferrari FI is more efficient than a F150 because it has less weight for the horsepower than the F150, based on approx 2800# with 500+ HP, vs. 6000# with 175HP from a 302 in the truck(I'm talking about 1990's F150 here).

Speakers are rated for efficiency on how many db they push based response of a microphone to a 1watt signal, 1meter from the cone face. Higher db rating = higher efficiency. IIRC Anything over 94db is usually rated as a high efficiency speaker, and takes less power to reach window shattering levels. 89 to 94 is considered medium efficiency, with below 89db a low efficiency speaker. The lower you go in efficiency, the more the volume knob has to be advanced for a given Sound pressure level. Put a speaker on one channel that is low efficiency (87db) and another of high efficiency (95db) on the other channel. With the Volume knob all the way down and the balance control centered, turn onthe unit and SLOWLY advance the knob so the pointer if facing to 9:00. Note the level imbalance. THAT is the difference between a 87db and a 95db speaker. It takes less power for the high efficiency speaker to hit and maintain a certain SPL than a low efficiency speaker.

The HPM's will handle the 828 with absolutely NO PROBLEM, no matter whether they are the 100W or 200w versions. The 828 will run out of steam before either version.

Unless you want to become hard of hearing, doubtful you'll ever push either pair past 10 o'clock on the volume knob regardless of the source.

Back
Top Bottom