Opinions about the Oppo UDP-203 as an audio player?

toomuchvinyl

Hope this is in the right forum, I tried a search and found no posts here about the Oppo UDP-203. I need a new audio disc player and would like to cut down to one device to play DVD/Blu-ray discs as well as audio discs. The old line Oppo "BDP" players (103-105) were very well respected as audio players as well as video players. Does anyone have a new UDP-203 and do they have any opinions or observations as to how they stack up against the UDP's for audio?

I would guess that a few people are waiting for the UDP-205 which is supposed to be the audiophile player when it comes out.

The 203 unfortunately has been plagued with quit a few issues. If you read the review and owners threads in various forums you hear some nasty reports. Oppo really stands behind their products. I know they have taken returns with no questions asked for a full refund.

Right now the player with the best track record is the Panny. Maybe the 205 and additional firmwares will make the 203 good again? I loved my 103 and then 105. They held their resale value very well. Since no player can be the DAC for Atmos I decided to put all my money in a pre and just get any 4k transport. The other huge downside of the 203 is that it doesn't have any streaming capabilities. I'm personally waiting to see how the IC version of the Sony is. After I see it I'll decide between it or the Panny.

Thanks folks. Any opinions I've seen are related to their use as a video player. The price point on them made me a little doubtful about the UDP compared to the BDP as far as the quality of the DAC and the loss of some other features.

Hope this is in the right forum, I tried a search and found no posts here about the Oppo UDP-203. I need a new audio disc player and would like to cut down to one device to play DVD/Blu-ray discs as well as audio discs. The old line Oppo "BDP" players (103-105) were very well respected as audio players as well as video players. Does anyone have a new UDP-203 and do they have any opinions or observations as to how they stack up against the UDP's for audio?

Hi, I recently(early last month) upgraded my OPPO BDP-103 for the UDP-203 and they(IMHO) both sound excellent with all inputs playing from the DSCN0016.JPG DSCN0016.JPG optical "lowly" red book 44.1 CD, SACD, Pure Audio BluRays to my 24/192 10 K+ songs ripped music to a 256 Gig. usb thumb drive stuffed in to ether player`s usb ports through 3 of the 5 room`s high resolution audio systems in my house.. I have had my 103 for about 4 years and until recently only played optical media through it.. I bought the UPD 203 for it`s direct 4K resolution capability(the 103 up-converted to 4K) and with the serious expenditure of the Sony 4K digital projector purchased around the same time, I wished to see what a "$ 25,000.00":yikes: Sony digital projector could do .. I was told last fall that the UPD-203 was becoming available via my most trusted A/V dealer in January of this year, but felt OPPO wasn`t going to let me down on the all important audio quality of the new 203 player.. And it has not disappointed me yet :thumbsup:.. FWIW... YMMD.. Regards, OKB

Attachments

• DSCN0018.JPG
    DSCN0018.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN0023.JPG
    DSCN0023.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 16
I finally broke down and bought an "open box-like new" BDP-103 at Amazon. Still waiting for it to arrive, but I think I'll be happy with it. Though it cost a bit more than a new UDP-203, I will take the streaming capability in exchange for the price difference. Thanks again to all who replied to this thread. You all gave me more to consider before making any purchase.

I finally broke down and bought an "open box-like new" BDP-103 at Amazon. Still waiting for it to arrive, but I think I'll be happy with it. Though it cost a bit more than a new UDP-203, I will take the streaming capability in exchange for the price difference. Thanks again to all who replied to this thread. You all gave me more to consider before making any purchase.
You should do very well with the 103 for your intended purpose.. I`m not getting rid of mine with the purchase of the 203, as it has served my very well, and has the ability to watch all regions/zones DVDs after a non- invasive(external, or internal mounted if desired) device attached to its rear connectors(usb/RS 232 and a few remote control key pad button pressings.. Good luck and enjoy Sir. for it`s very revealing audio wise.. Regards OKB

Good luck with your Oppo 103, TMV. I recently bought one here in Bartertown & am very impressed with this machine. I am not into video too much but cannot help be impressed when watching Blu-Rays of Game of Thrones. Last Saturday I played a couple of CDS on it & then switched to my Rotel RCD-1072, which is well regarded here on AK & could barely tell the difference in audio quality. I think you will be very happy with your purchase.

Just out of curiosity, when you play something in a Oppo UDP-203, does it heat up the disc quite a bit?

I saw some reviews comparing the 205 to the 203 that said the 205 outputs much more heat than the 203, so it's no surprise any disc that was playing in a 205 will feel like it's been heated up quite a bit. I'm hoping discs playing in a 203 will feel relatively cool so as to help preserve any discs I have, especially recordable ones.

Just out of curiosity, when you play something in a Oppo UDP-203, does it heat up the disc quite a bit?

I saw some reviews comparing the 205 to the 203 that said the 205 outputs much more heat than the 203, so it's no surprise any disc that was playing in a 205 will feel like it's been heated up quite a bit. I'm hoping discs playing in a 203 will feel relatively cool so as to help preserve any discs I have, especially recordable ones.
My use of my living room`s A/V system`s rack mounted UDP-203, for the past 6 or so yrs. of ownership, the temperature of any optical disc, even when the unit has been asked to play multiple music discs (both commercial and my burned optical media over many sustained hrs. of use, I`ve not found any of the disc`s temperature to be more than mildly warm when it was removed, and the warmth was not unexpected, nor of a alarming level.

Couldn`t say about the UDP-205`s operating temperature, as I don`t know anyone else in my area with any OPPO player !

My other UDP-203 (primary all day playing digital music source) located in my sunroom is not asked to play optical discs except very, very rarely, as it is powered (with UPS backup) up 24/7/365 since purchase & installation continuously playing a 1 Terabyte Corsair brand flash drive with all my WAV. ripped music stored on it configured in the repeat all/shuffle mode.

I maintain a house temperature of no "higher than 77` F." during the summer, which my house`s various 24/7/365 operating electronics seem to approve of by remaining very long lived and failure/issue free, which is of course is A-OK by me.

Back
Top Bottom