Opinions on a Marantz 2252B receiver?

pabs911

I have the opportunity to get a very nice Marantz 2252B here locally. I wasn't able to do a thorough audition, but what little I did hear sounded very very good. I presently have a Sansui AU-717 integrated amp in my best system. Is the Marantz in the same ballpark? The Sansui is absolutely wonderful, but is nowhere near as pretty to look at as the Marantz. Yes, I'm a sucker for a pretty face... lol ... but I still want/need the Marantz to sound awesome. Opinions?

I have one that I use in my bedroom. I like it an awful lot. Don't know how it compares to the Sansui, but I'd recommend it.

A good friend of mine has a 2252b hooked up to a pair of jbl 4311b monitors and yamaha yp-d71 turntable. The setup is in a roughly 14x10 room. And...it is an absolutely awesome sounding system. The marantz was rebuilt a couple of years ago. It puts out more than 52 wpc and really sounds great. Plus, it's a beautiful unit. Definitely a conversation piece...that is, if you want to be distracted from the music. Which nobody ever does.

I have a couple 2270's and an 18 and 19. I bought a 2252b on kind of a gamble because I like the looks (beautiful at night). Very happy with the sound too.

Don't know how it would compare to your Sansui but I think you'll be happy with it.

Tough call, you really should try and audition both. I always found the 2252b to be sort of an oddball in the lineup. It's a very crisp, clean sounding amplifier in contrast to most models which are very warm sounding. On some speakers it can be overly bright but can sound great with the right speaker. I've never heard a Sansui AU 717 but I certainly wouldn't count it out (even though she isn't quite as nice to look at).

Marantz 2252B is a pretty face. You got to hear it and it's sticking with you, perhaps it has your name on it.

The build quality of the 2252B is below that of the AU-717, but I have not heard an AU-717, only seen one.

I had a 2252B in one of the bedrooms hooked up to some Large Advents. It was nice. I'd stick with the Sansui integrated.

marantz_2252B.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys. My Sansui is probably the better sounding unit, but the 2252B just might be the best looking receiver I've ever seen... and the one I'm considering is almost mint. Hmm...

^^^BTW, wonderful photo!

If you have the opportunity to get a Marantz 2252B, get it, then decide after you put some time using it. Also never hurts to add what you already have if that's an option.
Your room acoustics may differ - it may or may not grow on you. If you don't get it, you may or may not wish you gave it a shot.
Get it to clear the mind then decide - IMO. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to move should you decide not to keep it. There is a Marantz following out there
To many may or may not - but one way to find out for sure

I don't have a Marantz - that sure is a nice looking unit I wouldn't mind myself

The Marantz is a good looking unit, no doubt about that but the Sansui's sound is an step up for sure.

I’m tempted by a 2252 (I’m in the UK) but I like the Marantz warm sound. Is this model too ‘cool’ sounding? Speakers are Epos and aren’t too bright

Hello everyone. i have a question.... I have 2 vintage receivers, one is a Marantz 2252B and the other is a lafayette-lr-120db, i have only one set of speakers, (JBL LX44) is it possible to hook up both receivers up to one set of speakers? When i am ready to listen to one receiver, just keep the other receiver off and vice versa, is that safe enough to do?

I use one of these. It requires a 12V power supply, but that's cheap enough. You plug the 12V power supply into the 'Switched' power outlet on back of receiver #2. Then wire both speaker terminals to the box as shown in the instructions.

When Rec. #1 is powered on, it uses the 'default' side A of the switches.

When you use receiver #2, the switch is auto-magically :) pulled to side B via magnetism because the 12V supply plugged into it makes that happen. Pretty slick.

Never had any trouble with it.

Almost forgot to say that I have an unrestored but serviced 2252B and greatly prefer it over my recapped 2270. It's more detailed and revealing - also retains proper heft & punch at the level volumes. I also have a Sansui 5900Z which, IMHO, is between the 2252B & 2270 sound-wise.

I don't think you could go wrong with the 2252B. Love mine - top of the pyramid.

I’m tempted by a 2252 (I’m in the UK) but I like the Marantz warm sound. Is this model too ‘cool’ sounding? Speakers are Epos and aren’t too bright

I own a Marantz 2252b and my dad has all separates, (marantz 140 with marantz 1060 preamp), I have heard both and would love to clear things up. To me, the separates have that classic warm Marantz sound to them with undeniably buttery mids and deep fat bass but struggle in the high section above 17khz. Plenty of bass from both units but the 2252b is a completely different animal. It is one of the last receivers made so it has every conceivable upgrade imaginable because they learned from their mistakes along the way and added all the bells and whistles to it. The 52b sounds warm and deep in the bass, buttery in the midrange but also is as bright as it gets in the highs. The 2252b is rated 10hz - 60khz @ 0.05% total harmonic distortion and the 140 is rated @ 20hz - 20khz @ 0.2% total harmonic distortion so the 52b's specs look a little better. That's a techy answer, here is the short and sweet one:

Marantz 140 - Sounds warm and deep on bass, buttery mids, and decent highs with treble knob and midrange knob up two clicks.
Marantz 2252B - Warm deep bass, buttery mids, and the highest highs you've ever heard with treble, bass, and midrange controls set in the middle.

Verdict: Depends on your speakers!!!!! I do not like the 2252B using speakers with horn loaded tweeters. It hurts my ears.
The brightness must be considered when purchasing the 2252B. Cheers. :)

P.S. If I owned the Epos speakers I might be tempted to try the 2252b as it does add brightness to that classic Marantz warmth. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom