Opinions on Denon DRA-335R or DRA-435R receivers

e30_325is

I have seen a few of these pop up locally. I believe these were made in the 90's On paper, these appear to be comparable to the lower end NAD receivers I have been looking at -- more powerful than NAD but with a weaker tuner section, maybe a slightly better phono section.

Anyone have experience with how these units sound particularly when compared to NAD? Are there particular problem areas for Denon equipment from that decade or are they fairly reliable?

Last edited:
I have a DRA-335R which I like a lot. Nice sound, well built. I especially like the Variable Loudness control which was discussed in this thread.

This is the only Denon that I have experience with. It has had no issues. It was lightly used when I got it and I have used it only occasionally.

Last edited:
I like Denon POA-series amps and have a couple of their TTs, but only one receiver, a DRA-750 from the 80s. It`s a decent unit, but I don`t think many Denons were any better than NAD in the phono section, something they`ve been renowned for.

Old thread but what ta heck. The Denon dra435r is a sweet unit. Ive owned one for years & they wont disappoint. Ive hooked them to Klipsch Polk Advent speakers & performs well. I did try to use it as a pre for my POA-2200 & it did a crappy job IMO. Back to 2 channel it went & never disappoints ta this day

Well, I really like someone got this started, as I bought two exactly the same DRA-435R receivers, and sound quality was really amazing!:yes:
I was so much pleased with purchase that I decided to keep one that is in better condition, because I've been listening all sorts of brands, such as Onkyo, Sony, Kenwood, NAD etc. but comparing to Denon receiver, well you may guess, Denon become my number one brand since I have DRA-435R. I think I will buy any similar, if I find it again :)
Someone mentioned variable loudness. Yes, it is amazing control. Also, it has much much more power than it's written in papers.
Denon receivers, especially older ones (90s) cannot be mistake.
Also nice thing to say, no matter price range od Denon stuff, they always, I mean always, have aluminium front plate. Much other companies don't do that, especially in lower price range!
Also Denon receivers are indestructible (unless you take hammer :) ):thmbsp:

I bought a Denon DRA-635R new in 1993.
It was in my system and saw lots of use until 2011 when I resurrected my Infinity RSM's.
With their 4 ohm rating I didn't feel they were a good match for the Denon which was rated for 6ohms or higher.
Never had a bit of trouble with the Denon. Sounded good and the fact it had remote control was handy.

I am reviving an.old thread because I really have found these to be fantastic receivers. I have now owned Denon dra 335r, 345r and 545r. All have sound clarity that are amazing and the small form factor goes well with modern and vintage setups. Very impressive receivers. Picked up a 335 for 20 with a dcm320 cd player this weekend. Amazing sound. Picked up a 345 for 20 before that and the 545 for 50. One of the best bargains on the vintage circuit. Sound has just the right amount of 'thickness" and can be adjusted readily with the variable loudness. Excellent. I have had many different amps that I post on here about and these have made me sell quite a few including my Rotel rx-855 and nakamichi av-1. What's more is that they can be controlled by remote and look very good with their compact size and metal faceplate.

A very old thread, but the previous post was Monday? meaning Nov 14, 2022? Can that be? Well, anyway, I will provide $0.02 for the benefit of surfers wondering if their $25 Denon amp was a bargain. I have a $25 Denon DRA-435r (55watts x 2) that needed one cap replaced for the VFD to stop flickering. EZ. This thing really holds its own! Side by side with a Sansui 4000, and Pioneer SX-636, it sounds distinctly better to my old ears. Granted, those two veteran receivers could probably use a freshening but I have played them every day for several years and they are good friends and I know their sound. Move over to make room for the Denon, I'm keeping it! Deep tight lows, cleaner highs without breaking up and sizzle. I am re-playing a lot of records and cds to see what it reveals, and it continues to impress. I'm not a fan of the look, though - display reminds me of a microwave oven - and black push buttons on a black face plate does nothing for me. But the sound? Oh, my...

A very old thread, but the previous post was Monday? meaning Nov 14, 2022? Can that be? Well, anyway, I will provide $0.02 for the benefit of surfers wondering if their $25 Denon amp was a bargain. I have a $25 Denon DRA-435r (55watts x 2) that needed one cap replaced for the VFD to stop flickering. EZ. This thing really holds its own! Side by side with a Sansui 4000, and Pioneer SX-636, it sounds distinctly better to my old ears. Granted, those two veteran receivers could probably use a freshening but I have played them every day for several years and they are good friends and I know their sound. Move over to make room for the Denon, I'm keeping it! Deep tight lows, cleaner highs without breaking up and sizzle. I am re-playing a lot of records and cds to see what it reveals, and it continues to impress. I'm not a fan of the look, though - display reminds me of a microwave oven - and black push buttons on a black face plate does nothing for me. But the sound? Oh, my...

Lol all due respect the previous post was 2015 so that was 8 years ago but glad you like the receiver!

The sound is great indeed! Even the lower wattage 345 and 335 sound excellent and all of them can be controlled by a remote which is extremely convenient!

Since I just picked up a 435 R along with a Denon DCD 570 cd player for $25 at a yard sale. The sound is great, clean and crisp, but when I turn the loudness toward flat the right channel gets louder, if I keep the loudness at about 1/2 way to flat, the channels are equal and sound great. Any experience with this quirk? Thanks

... when I turn the loudness toward flat the right channel gets louder, if I keep the loudness at about 1/2 way to flat, the channels are equal and sound great. Any experience with this quirk? Thanks

The Denon loudness circuit cuts mid (or upper mid, lower treble) frequencies when turned away from flat. This is contrary to the way that loudness works in many other amps/receivers, which is to boost highs/lows or perhaps only lows. In the Denon circuit, cutting mids, in relation to highs/lows, is similar in concept to the way other circuit designs boost highs/lows while leaving mids the same.

The idea might take some getting used to. When activating the the loudness circuit on your Denon, (turning the knob away from flat) overall volume decreases. On the other type of loudness circuit, pushing the button increases overall volume. I much prefer the approach used in the Denon, but YMMV.

As for the loudness not affecting both channels equally in your amp, that may indicate some type of issue warranting further investigation, i.e. your own dedicated thread here in the Solid State forum.

Welcome to AK

Last edited:
Since I just picked up a 435 R along with a Denon DCD 570 cd player for $25 at a yard sale. The sound is great, clean and crisp, but when I turn the loudness toward flat the right channel gets louder, if I keep the loudness at about 1/2 way to flat, the channels are equal and sound great. Any experience with this quirk? Thanks
I just picked up a Denon DRA-335R receiver with the same Variable Loudness control and it's exhibiting the same symptom you describe. Did you ever find a solution or has anyone else encountered this problem? Pat

Back
Top Bottom