Opinions on HPM 500 Speakers...

VintagePlus

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I just picked up a set of Pioneer HPM 500 speakers in perfect condition except the foam needs to be replaced. What are you guys opinions on these speakers?

Every set I've ever seen needed the foam re-placed. Never listened to a set that was in any better condition then that so I can't really say anything about the sonic quality.

I have 1500s and I like them a lot with my Pioneer gear. If you refoam them, be VERY careful with the cones.

Sorry guy's for offending some of you with that post of the speaker runoff! Suffice to say that I'Ve heard them many years ago, and Thought they sounded realy good. We all know there were many speakers out there that had great sound. The ns1000's and HPM100 being just two of them.

Last edited:
My father had a set of HPM-500's.. Let's jsut say for powerful music they rock!! they even have great detail and clarity to them..I say refoam em and enjoy!:music:

I Had a speaker runoff at my place many years ago. Pioneer HPM100 vs. Realistic
Mach1 vs Yamaha ns1000's. The HPM100's were a clear winner, have'nt heared the 500's they should sound very good. ...

If the HPM 100s were a clear winner over the NS-1000s, it probably says more about the gear you had behind them, or possibly the set-up of the space/environment or the method of testing, than it does about the speakers. I have both of these, with hundreds of hours of listening to each of them, and while it's possible to make HPM-100s sound better in some respects, overall the NS-1000 is a clear winner in most respects.

I'm not trying to dispute the findings you had with your particular situation --I wasn't there-- but just saying that it might not be the ultimate answer in someone else's situation.

To get back to the OP's question: If you have a chance to pick up HPM-500s for a reasonable price, I'd say get them and listen to them. You may very well like them; many owners do. (I've never owned a pair, only the HPM-100s, and am basing this recommendation from what I've seen of and read about the 500s.)

If the HPM 100s were a clear winner over the NS-1000s, it probably says more about the gear you had behind them, or possibly the set-up of the space/environment or the method of testing, than it does about the speakers. I have both of these, with hundreds of hours of listening to each of them, and while it's possible to make HPM-100s sound better in some respects, overall the NS-1000 is a clear winner in most respects.

Curious, have your HPM-100s been recapped? Like so many others on AK, I recapped mine and then added more insulation inside the top of the enclosure and threw a 31-band graphic in the chain. The sound I am getting is pretty darn good for a 30 year old design. I wonder how my HPM-100s would stack up against the NS-1000s..

Back
Top Bottom