1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Pioneer HPM-60 ?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Markoneswift, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Markoneswift

Markoneswift Quartz locked n ready to rock

Hey all,

I have been given a pair of HPM 60s by a colleague and they are in great shape. I was just wondering how they compare to their more famous relatives the HPM 100.

Cheers

Please register to disable this ad.

2. NeedForSpeed

NeedForSpeed Living In The Past Subscriber

Have heard a pair and liked them, Good bass response, Set up is crucial, They were powered with a Pioneer SX 1050

3. Markoneswift

Markoneswift Quartz locked n ready to rock

Mine will be powered by an SA-7800 :)

4. KeninDC

KeninDC Speedfreak Jive Subscriber

I like 'em. In fact, I prefer the HPM 60 tone over the HPM 100. A bit more natural w/o that accentuated mid-bass slam.

5. jozeppy26

jozeppy26 Active Member

Aren’t they nearly the exact same speaker except with thinner walls?

6. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

Not really with a different woofer
    Like Kenin, I think the 60 had smoother presentation, perhaps you could say more refined?

Please register to disable this ad.

7. jozeppy26

jozeppy26 Active Member

By smoother are you meaning less mid-bass?

8. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

I bought a pair brand new circa '78. Mom still has them. I gave them to my parents within three years of the purchase. Didn't like their bass performance, at all. Boomy, one-note port bass, was my take at the time. They're still working well, so I'll give them kudos for longevity, but I like the sound even less now than back then. I moved on to better speakers, and there were many available at the time, but I was green when I bought the HPM-60. It did lead me to avoid Japanese speakers back then, and to discover American brands and models, which I preferred.

Even given all that, they were still the best speaker I'd owned at the time, and I loved them for more than a year, until their bass alignment grated on my nerves. Sounded unnatural to me. Just one man's opinion, of course.