Opinions on used speakers

Hello all, I've posted a couple of time on here about recently beginning my audio journey. So far I have a turntable and receiver and am now trying to decide on a set of speakers to go with them. I believe that I have found 3 decent candidates for sale in my area, but wanted to come to you guys, the experts, and get your opinions before I pull the trigger on any of them. The speakers available are as follows:

JBL L166
Looks like a pretty sweet speaker, by the subs have been replaced with MTX eliminators and one of the tweeters has a dent in it. They are asking $350 so I'm not sure if they are worth it in their current condition.
View attachment 968681 View attachment 968683 View attachment 968686

Cerwin Vega HED 1230
Looks pretty decent and from what I've read they're decently well made and kind of rare. Priced at $180
View attachment 968692 View attachment 968693 View attachment 968695

Technics sb-cr77
Pretty clean looking speakers, from what I've read on here they're decent, but that's about it. I think $150 is a little steep but I'm pretty good at haggling.
View attachment 968701

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Woofers in a two or three way speaker are not "subs" regardless of their size. They are simply woofers. Subs are almost always separate and self powered.

I'm in Fredericksburg, Tx. About an hour from Austin and San Antonio.

Become an AK member, then place a WTB (want to buy) ad in Bartertown for a speaker pair, local sale. It'll be the best $25 ever spent.
Put a price limit also, so you don't get overwhelmed with offers.

Recognizer, you are already a member, what eiraved means is become a subscriber to get access to Barter Town.

LOL I guess I did'nt even comment on the Technics speakers...
I'll just say those are'nt the model of Technics speakers that I'd be looking for and I'll leave it @ that.

JM2¢ on those...

Bret P.

I'm on my phone so it would be too much work to quote everyone who posted info, but thank you all, you've given me a lot to think about. I'm driving into San Antonio this week to look at a used mitsubishi lt22 turntable, I think I'll leave a little early and check out some pawn shops/thrift shops as well.

Welcome to AK. For the money being asked, I would keep looking! Have you considered perhaps a kit model, Parts Express has several nie kits to choose as well as other builds that people have made!

If you can find your speakers needing small repair work like a cabinet refresh or the foam surrounds needing replacement you can safe a lot of money using a little sweat equity. Good quality names (with original drivers) EPI, ElectroVoice, ADS, Altec, AR, Time Window or Time frames, and other well known names populate with great sound.

Do a bit more homework so you''ll_recognize some when you see them . Listen to some if you can, such as Acoustic Suspension design, Vented designs, Horn designs, and a few more.Good luck.
DC

Those MTX woofers were probably put there because they are very cheap but they are not a good match. You can go to a company like Parts Express and purchase more appropriate woofers for the JBLs. (Woofers, not subs). With better woofers the JBLs will blow the others away. Not a big fan of the Cervin Vegas but they are better than the Technics.

Speaker sound is purely subjective and what I hate you may love and vice-versa.

Back
Top Bottom