Opinions please - Affordable automatic turntables without pre-amp

13characters

Hi all,
Wondering what's people's thoughts are on an under $500 turntable that is automatic (at least self-return), doesn't need a pre-amp or USB, reliable with good sound. It won't be my main turntable, one for pottering around the kitchen, so doesn't need to be audiophile quality but auto off is a priority. Thanks in advance!

New or vintage? If vintage, there are lots, it all depends on what's local to you. One table that is currently on my test bench is an Aiwa AP-2200, it is surprisingly a solid and cheap table.

If vintage is ok and cheap and reliable are the keys one cannot go wrong with a Technics SL-D2 - auto-return, but not the fuss and complexity of full auto.

Was thinking new, only because it's slim pickings here in Tasmania for a vintage table that ticks all the boxes and isn't overpriced, power is also an issue for international units. If a good vintage table that's recommended pops up for sale I'll definitely check it out, otherwise new it will be. Cheers

If I remember correctly, the Marantz Tt-42 is automatic without a preamp. The 42P has a preamp.

For a kitchen, wouldn't a CD player or streaming make much more sense? Food and records don't mix well.

Back
Top Bottom