Opinions requested on Pre-Amp

PlusLT

Hi folks,

So my HK PT2300 has never been my favorite but it has served me well over the last 20 years. Add in that I bought it second hand at the time, and I certainly got my money's worth. Now I'm in the market for a good used pre-amp to pair with the following:

Onkyo M504 amp
Nestorovic Type 5 speakers
Turntable not yet purchased but it is important part of the system so the pre will need phono input
Pioneer 707 reel to reel.
Yet to be purchased CD player

All that said I'm shopping in the $300 range give or take 100 for the right find.

I've been looking at the following:

Rotel RC 995
Adcom GFP 565
Rotel RC 1070
NAD 1700

I'm leaning heavily toward the 995, and I do not like the looks of the NAD at all, but I would be willing to consider if its a fan favorite.

Music type ranges from Country, Classic rock, Hard rock, Crooner. Lots of guitar and vocals. Very little jazz or classical.

So any opinions on any of these from personal experience?

Thanks in advance.

Look for an Acurus R10 or 11. Much better than any of those, built to a higher level with military spec parts and very upgradeable. Look around on the Internet you'll see lots on it. $300-400 should get you one easily add you'll be able to resell it for the same.

If your interested in the NAD contact member Leesonic.
I think member bostown was selling a nice parasound that might work well for you in that price range.
Honestly I'm not too familiar with your list. I think other members will jump in with more useful info. Good luck in your search

Just an FYI here but that NAD 1700 is a pre-tuner,not just a stand alone preamp,it's part of their monitor series of gear.
If you wanted just the monitor series preamp itself then you would be looking at the 1000 -or- 1300 preamps.

I have both the 106 (the 1000 preamp w/XLR outputs = 1000s/106) and the 1300 preamps and I like them both very much.

Some other nice NAD preamps include the 1130 & 1240 units.

Others to consider:
APT Holman
Denon PRA-1500
Hafler DH-100/DH-110
Kenwood Basic C1/C2
Sanyo C55 Plus

Among numerous others,,,I'm sure you'll get plenty more suggestions...

FFT ~ HTH

Bret P.

Don't overlook the Nikko Beta series of preamps. I have the Beta-40 and it is a giant killer. Phono cart capacitance switching up front, and built like a tank. It's 19'' rack mountable, so it may or may not look ok with your other components, but the bang for your buck is killer.

Another one for your consideration is the Schiit Saga for $360. It's a passive preamp and a tube buffered preamp. You can switch between both modes with a remote. I prefer the tube buffered most of the time. I've been having fun rolling tubes.

This is a very detailed preamp. I would not classify it as warm, if that is your preference.

One caveat, the credit card remote is rather cheesy. But you can buy a learning remote and transfer functions. Also, it is smallish but solid.

I like the PS Audio option for a used preamp - I would tend toward a used 4.5. Make sure you get the outboard power supply.

Good listening...

Hey there, thanks a lot folks. The first notification I got from this thread was yesterday, which is weird, but ok. Anyway I ended up finding a Rotel RC 995 on fleabay for a decent price and I scooped it up. System sounds great sitting in my workshop, but that is not its final resting place. I'm remodeling my main basement area now with the central point being the stereo. Hopefully I get this done before winter sets in. Too many projects....

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom