Opinions wanted on market for used speakers

Jibe01

I hope this is the right place to post. I recently got into vintage audio. My primary source has been yard sales & thrift stores. I've picked up some decent speakers for my home system, & always looking to upgrade. So, really, I'm set on speakers. But I do keep seeing desirable, used speakers that I hate to pass up, but I don't think the wife will want to see me fill up the house with used audio equipment, like so many stray cats that followed me home. Some speakers may need a cabinet polishing up, or a refoam or other minor refurbishment, which I can do. So I'm asking opinions of others here - is much of a market for used speakers? I could try selling on Craigslist, or Facebook locally. What has been your experiences?

Is much of a market for used speakers? Yes and no. Yes, if you have highly regarded used speakers at the right price. No, for all other used speakers.

So, if you pick up every speakers you come across, the answer will be no to you. But if you only pick up speakers with high-demand and right price, the answer is Yes.

That's said, you need to do a quick research of the SOLD price on EBay before you buy it.

Last edited:
I'm in the same situation - got 3 times as many speakers as I need. I'm a sucker when it comes to buying them, especially if it's a good deal or can get them for cheap because they need repair. You sort of have to do some math when you're selling them, most people want them for as little as possible. I also think that people just don't need them as I see the same ones on CL for months at a time. Speakers aren't as desirable as old amps/receivers and turntables.. When I go to sell them, I figure what I have into them, see what the market price is and knock off about 10 % from that. If what I have into them exceeds what I can get for them, I don't sell them(at least not right way). Speakers are a hard sell, just be prepared to sit on them for a while.

Selling speakers is very difficult. I have 10 pairs for sale at reasonable prices. The market is presently dead.

the market is dead becuase its almost looked upon as shamefull to pay retail for speakers. unless you score it for $10 nobody wants you to talk about it.

I only buy speakers that are a clear upgrade from what I'm currently running. IMHO there's no real reason to fill the house up with mediocre stuff that no one else is going to want later.
I do the same with all gear really unless I know of someone looking to get into the hobby who I can help build a system.
I'll admit it is fun to play around with a variety of gear but once you start poking around in some nice stuff lateral moves seem a lot less fun.

The speaker market is flat right now but is still reasonably good for nice JBL's, AR's, ESS's and other high end brands. Just pass on mediocre stuff and you'll be OK.

Agree with all of the above and will add one thing. At least in my market it is much easier to move respected small speakers than it is to move large ones. I had a set of Rectilinear HighBoys that I had to practically give away. I don't regret it because they were something I'd been very curious to hear, but the buy didn't make a lot of sense on a purely fiscal basis. But when I get a little pair of Mirage or even Andrew Jones Pioneer it seems I get my asking price rather quickly.

When I was a kid, big speakers were cool. It seems not so much these days.

My wife gets nervous that I'll bring bedbugs (or worse) into the house in old speakers -
god forbid I should look at old furniture!

I had 5 pairs of speakers circling my main system (2ch tubes system) at one point,
took FOREVER to pair them down to the 2 pairs that I want to keep.

I have found that once I own a particular speaker and sell it, I never really feel the need to buy another one.

But if I come across something I've never owned, I'll buy it to see what its all about... then pass it on, usually losing money.

I have found that once I own a particular speaker and sell it, I never really feel the need to buy another one.

But if I come across something I've never owned, I'll buy it to see what its all about... then pass it on, usually losing money.
I largely agree, but I would buy another ADS L-710 or B&W DM-14.

I've paid pretty much full fair retail for several pairs in the past 18 months, mostly large models like Bozak Symphonies, Altec Model 19's, K-horns and Dahlquist DQ-10's. They're for me (despite the vague promises to What's-Her-Face that I would only keep "the right pair").
But I keep an eye on CL and fleabay just to see what's going on. And what's going on is that folks trying to sell any of these advertise for a long, long time.
I met a guy (in Charlotte) that said the only interest he got was from buyers that wanted to know all the negatives. When he told them they were in good shape, they lost interest. I think right now, the market is sort of like the antique market...basically just one dealer/fixer/flipper selling to another.
I was the last retail buyer. I am the original Bag Holder :) . But I ain't whining, I got what I was looking for at a fair price.

Thanks. Kinda what I thought. I certainly agree that a lot of people don't want the large speakers. I listened to a local talk show recently where they interviewed a person who helps retirees downsize, and sell off what they do not want. She said that the market for old large, dark furniture is pretty much dead. I can see that. In my Charlotte, they are building apartment units by the thousands. The Millennials are filling them up, but these apartments are very small - one bedroom for over $1000/month rent. I can see why someone younger would not want a large floor speaker - they barely have enough room for a sofa & coffee table.

Right now I've picked up a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22-LRs that I'm enjoying in my office. A pair of Boston Acoustic CR 75's that I'll give to my Daughter at college. A pair of Marantz Imperial 7's that I'm re-foaming & recapping for my den. That leaves me with a pair of JBL 2500's and a pair of KLH V-02A that I picked up that I really do not need.

Speakers are tough, unlike electronics which you can put on a shelf even fairly small speakers take up lots of room.
I try to have a few extra pairs on hand for the basement system and sometimes you can sell them along with a receiver for folks looking for a system.

If you have a local tech that has a storefront, and sells rehabbed audio gear, he/she may be interested in some of your speakers, (depending on brand, condition, rarity, etc.). I've "dumped" my overages that way. Didn't get a lot of money for the pieces, but got it out of the house.

Everyone agrees on speakers. Just wanted to add my experience - I have 30 pairs of speakers right now but can only listen to a few, but they are hard to sell short of giving them away. And I bought them because there were all good to great deals. Why? People were moving and don't want to take the big speakers with them. I just posted Dollars and Sense a link to a CL ad in N. Cal , $100 for a pair of Klipsch Forte with grilles and badges. On selling - like everyone else, no one is buying the speakers I have listed. Well...the ADS 910's did sell past weekend, but that one was the holy grail for a lot of people. Bottom line, for every pair of speakers you pick up, either plan to live with them for a while, or you have a plan already on how to pass them on...

Those of us who want the old, quality speaker are used to buying them at throw away prices. The generations that follow have no interest in any of the stuff we have or want. If I offered my daughter or son-in-law my SX-1250 with my TF-600s, they would stare at me like I had gone mad. My daughter is perfectly happy with a little pink, plastic speaker that she plugs into her phone. It sounds like a tin cup with a driver in it.

We all have to enjoy all this stuff, because it will be dying with us. It is even dying without us, when you consider how much we are snagging out of the trash. :dunno:

This has been a slow period of the year for every year I've been doing it.

Yes, you could hang onto some speakers for a while. I had trouble selling a pair of JBL L46s and L26s. Eventually did, but for lower than I wanted. Just be careful to buy low and price for a reasonably fast turnaround. The more highly regarded a speaker is, the easier it will be to sell. I find the best way to sell "difficult to sell" speakers is to package them with a receiver or amp. Especially good for someone who is just browsing. Make sure the cosmetics are good. If they sell right away, they were priced right or you under priced them. If you made money on them, you did well. The reason you want to make money on them is for your time and gas. And for your mistakes.

Every now and then, I'll offer someone a bunch of gear I'm having trouble selling in trade for some gear he has. It works out well for both of us. :beerchug:

Back
Top Bottom