Opinions Wanted on Replacement Ear Pad Options in 2 in or 51 mm Size

Retrovert

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
My question is:
(1) What replacement options exist in the 2 inches or 51 mm size
(2) Do small headphones like this work with velour pads, or is a tight seal required.​

I have a pair of the Plantronics Pulsar 590 bluetooth stereo headphones and headset. (A gift.) As with all Plantronics headsets the earpieces rapidly rotted and required replacement. The lifespan of a Plantronics ear pad is measured in months, this will be the third set, so I will not again purchase genuine replacements.

I have, instead, looked at third-party offerings. Many look to be identical in appearance and quality, but at least have the virtue of being 1/3 the price. I did, however, find some "premium leatherette" which appear to have a firmer surface which may longer last. I cannot tell by physical examination, of course, since this is all online.

The size is a hair over 2 inches or 51 mm. I've read of some difficulty in installing the new ones, but it comes down to a little bit of careful stretching and pressing the retaining ring on. This is a common lament for this size regardless of vendor, so I assume any pad of this size would work.

So the basic question is: what is a premium replacement option?

The low-end ones for $5 from Amazon appear to be made on the same production line, with the same thin surface which rapidly wears through. I found a "leatherette" (aka "vinyl" outside of the fashion world) for $12. But no way to know how thick the surface is. The velour ones are likely less hot, but it isn't clear that small headphones function particularly well without a good seal.

I am well aware these are far from wonderful headphones, but they are fine for listening to audio books and non-critical listening while out and about. Lightweight and fit in my shoulder bag, and that's their only virtue.

So, any suggestions on replacement pads would be appreciated, and negative experiences are welcomed. Many of the reviews report the foam rotted in a few months, which matches my experience. So I'd like to know what types to avoid.

Back
Top Bottom