Opinions wanted on SX-950, SG-9500, and CT-F8282

JimmyNeutron

I just won today on ebay a Pioneer SX-950, SG-9500 EQ, and a CT-F8282 cassette deck. I've been searching for an SX-series for a good price and seen them on the 'bay going for upwards of $150.00 for a nice unit. I won all this for $102.00! Local pick up. I think it's a nice deal. I saw the unit last week at the store and it is indeed in mint - as are the other ones too. So what can I expect out of these? They'll be hooked up to my Large Advents. They'll be my vintage office system. Opinions are surely welcome as these are my very first vintage pieces - heck, my ONLY pioneer pieces eveh!!!

Ahah! You are the one. That set was MINE! Oh well...to the better man go the spoils :yes: . I hope this stuff is in good shape and that it works all the way for you.

If all works, you got yourself a steal there...well worth what you paid for it.

If it had to go to someone (other than me), I'm glad it went to a fellow AKr.

Enjoy, my friend,
Rich P

pustelniakr said:
Ahah! You are the one. That set was MINE!

Enjoy, my friend,
Rich P

:eek: Doh!! Sorry. That set was listed a couple of weeks ago but with a set of Sansui speakers as a lot. The auction was closed after 4 days because I was the only bidder at .99 cents. The owner got scared and decided to pull it and auction them seperately. I was pissed! Still kinda stupid that he kept the most valuable pieces together as a lot. This was a local pick-up for me since it was sold thru an ebay "isoldit on ebay" store (woohoo - no shipping!). I saw the pieces a few weeks ago in person and they are, for lack of a better word, mint. They come with manuals and schematics. No blemishes or scratches. I've been searching for quite some time for a Pioneer SX-XXX, and to have gotten the EQ and the cassette for less than what a SX-950 normally goes for alone, well I guess I did O.K.

Again, sorry Rich, I didn't know I was up against you, or anyone else really. There weren't too many bidders!! - wierd huh? Anyway, I'd still like opinions from AK'ers on this equipment. Thanks in advance!

Because I won these yesterday after the stores closing time, I won't be able to pick them up until tomorrow. I will then post many pics!! :D In the meantime I will leave you with the photos from the auction.

1122672872351_IMG_2680.jpg

1123063570536_IMG_2681.jpg

1122658342431_IMG_2686.jpg

Last edited:
JimmyNeutron said:
:eek: Again, sorry Rich, I didn't know I was up against you, or anyone else really. There weren't too many bidders!! - wierd huh? Anyway, I'd still like opinions from AK'ers on this equipment. Thanks in advance!

Hey! No sorry necessary. We've already hashed this stuff out in another thread. To the the man who wants it more, and is willing to pay more, go the spoils. I am glad it went to an AK brother.

I am blessed that you are blessed. May you get abundant enjoyment from that gear, while you have it, and abundant profit if/when you sell it. :)

Rich P

Great Score :thmbsp: Now lets see SX-950 3rd from the top, CT-F8181 2nd from the top and the SG-9500 your guess but I think close to the top I think the SG-9800 was top.

Ron

Welcome to the wonderful world of Pioneer. That setup should blend in with your Advents very nicely. :thmbsp: The SG-9500's have a habit of eating the pilot light. I've bought more than one where it was stated that the unit was plugged in, but the light didn't turn on, it's still operational, and an easy fix.
Opps, I let out a secret for the flippers. :lmao:

I'm guessing once you listen to the SX-950 for a few days, you'll be hauling it back home. Unless of course you already have a setup just as nice at home. It seems way too nice for an office setup. Just got a clean one myself a couple months ago and I love it. As much as I wish it was a SX-1050 or SX-1250, realistically, it's got all the power I'll ever need, and then some. They're just great looking, great sounding receivers!

mea2112 said:
I'm guessing once you listen to the SX-950 for a few days, you'll be hauling it back home. Unless of course you already have a setup just as nice at home. It seems way too nice for an office setup. Just got a clean one myself a couple months ago and I love it. As much as I wish it was a SX-1050 or SX-1250, realistically, it's got all the power I'll ever need, and then some. They're just great looking, great sounding receivers!

Well since I work out of my home, my office is at home. That means the SX-950 won't need to go far if I like it. Actually, I love the looks of this vintage Pioneer series and from all the good things I've heard about them I'm sure I won't be dissappointed. I have nice modern equipment spread throughout my home, so finding a spot for my newly accuired vintage collection hobby has proved to be a bit of a.....challenge. For now it will be in my office, but as soon as our new ranch home is built in about 12 months I will have a dedicated HT room, a dedicated stereo only room, and a office for my gear. As soon as construction starts I will document the build process. But to get back on track, I can't wait to pick these guys up later today, and it's still a shame that I have not replaced the woofer surrounds yet on the Large Advents. Those will be done this weekend and that's when I will first get a chance to hear this system.

Hello JimmyNeutron,

Like others have said, you're going to love your SX-950. I use in my main system and am very happy with its looks, sound and build quality. Sounds like you got a great deal! :thmbsp:

I checked out your website. Great pictures of your audio system, and your beautiful familiy. It seems that we both love audio, but our family is our utimate treasure. Your family seems very happy and blessed.

Thanks for the kind words Mentalmonkey. You know, when I first built my website it wa originally going to be just a big photo album of the family so that the rest of my family (parents, brothers, sisters spread across america) and my wife's family (in mexico) would have common place to see my family and kids grow up, but it just grew into an all around family website of sorts. Anyway, glad you enjoyed the pics, and I'm sure I'll enjoy my new vintage Pioneer system.

I was going to get in on that auction when the price stayed low for a few days. I had hoped you guys wouldn't see it!!! It was $100.00 to ship to my house. I only wanted the SX-950 and the EQ. Running a little low on funds, so I passed. It was a smoking deal though. Brad

Back
Top Bottom