Oppo BDP-105

libertycaps

Analogue "AAA" vinyl.
Anyone bite yet? Bought a BDP-95 (to replace my faulty Rega Apollo) and am very happy with it. If anyone here can compare/contrast the two, i'm all ears.

Liberty! Hope you are doing well. Always glad to see an SR.com vet.

I can't speak to the current gen of Oppo players but in the last go-around of BDP's the main difference with the more expensive model was in the 2-channel analog outs. Video performance was exactly the same, and if the audio was sent over HDMI there was also no difference. The sound on the bigger unit was much more "open", with considerable increases in depth and a much extended (though I wouldn't call it bright) high end.

The 105 has the added benefit of having digital inputs to take advantage of that great Sabre DAC, so if you had a streaming device or a cable box you could benefit from the improvements there. I'd love to get one for myself but that is a large chunk of change for a disc spinner, and I am about 95% vinyl/music server nowadays.

Hey, thanks Toka and thanks for the reply. Life is very good. Still a die hard physical media d00d (CDs & LPs) and don't see that changin', so don't think the new model offers me much.

The Oppo 105 also has done away with the fan that the 95 had. They say the SQ is tweaked, The use of the Sabre DAC in the 95 employs 4 channels of the DAC per each channel in the stereo outputs using a 'stacked' technique. The 105 uses a single channel per channel except the new headphone output uses 2 channels.

No idea on the sound characteristics, but I'm sure they are close!

The best part of the 105 is running 2 channell XLR directly into amp. AMAZING! My McIntosh C2300 is used for vinyl only now as it degrades the direct XLR sound.

Back
Top Bottom