Oppo bdp 83 blue ray player advantages?

Frankie's Market

AK Member
Subscriber
Good Morning Folks, I have a dilemma, last weekend I purchased a Oppo bdp 83 blue ray player at an estate sale for a stupidly small amount of money. It was an impulse buy, I don't spend much time watching movies. I thought "hey, I'll use it for a music source since I still play cds" . So here I sit with this player and than I eye my Sony ES SACD players and think "Is it really going to sound that much better than my Sony's? " Are there any real advantages over a Sony SACD player? Thoughts, opinions?

I'm on my 3rd Oppo -
still got the DVI 981-HD I got for closeout prices from Woot years ago,
Got an Oppo BDP-93 at pre-release prices in Nov 2010,
sold it last fall and bought a BDP-105D

I like the Oppos! So all I can say is -
Hook it up, check it out, see if you like it, and tell us more!

Last edited:
1. I'd do a side-by-side demo. Oppo has a sound that some love, some don't. You might love it.
2. The Oppo will do DVD-A. Pretty sure the Sonys won't.
3. Not something that can be talked about much here, but the Oppo can play SACD .iso files. I'd bet the Sonys can't.
4. Do your Sony players do bluray? If not, keep bluray music in mind.
5. Can your Sony players access music on your network? It's a really clunky solution(kind of an afterthought, really), but the Oppo can.
6. If it was a small amount of money, why not tuck it away as a backup? Who knows what the future of SACD ready players will be?
Murphy says that the minute you get rid of the Oppo your Sony players will kick it.:)

[QUOTE="KrisM, post: 10604942, member: 81957"

]1. I'd do a side-by-side demo. Oppo has a sound that some love, some don't. You might love it.
[/QUOTE]

Can you elaborate?

I'm considering an Oppo UDP-205 as master for HT/SACD/CD and FLAC playback into both a dedicated 5-channel power amp.

What would I not like about the sound? They are using a pretty nice DAC.

]1. I'd do a side-by-side demo. Oppo has a sound that some love, some don't. You might love it.

Can you elaborate?

I'm considering an Oppo UDP-205 as master for HT/SACD/CD and FLAC playback into both a dedicated 5-channel power amp.

What would I not like about the sound? They are using a pretty nice DAC.[/QUOTE]
Many think they sound cold and analytical. Not my words, I like how my 83 sounds.
Also one man's 'analytical' is another man's 'detailed'.

I also don't have side by side experience with the 83 and the players that came after it, so keep that in mind.

Can you elaborate?

What would I not like about the sound? They are using a pretty nice DAC.

I use an Oppo universal player (UDP-205, or the discontinued BDP-105), USB drive for storage, plus Chromecast Audio (Toslink connection to Oppo 's DAC) for internet based music. I can connect the Oppo's variable output directly to a McIntosh power amp (e.g., a pair of MC30s), or to an integrated amp, or to a preamp. The Oppo can provide bass management, enabling off-loading of the power-hungry low frequencies from the main amp and speakers. The Oppo will play any digital format I need: Blu-ray audio and video (and nascent UHD discs), DVDs, SACDs, CDs, downloaded hi-res FLAC, etc.

IMO the "audiophile-grade" Oppo players (UDP-205, BDP-105, BDP-95) sound great.

I use an Oppo universal player (UDP-205, or the discontinued BDP-105), USB drive for storage, plus Chromecast Audio (Toslink connection to Oppo 's DAC) for internet based music. I can connect the Oppo's variable output directly to a McIntosh power amp (e.g., a pair of MC30s), or to an integrated amp, or to a preamp. The Oppo can provide bass management, enabling off-loading of the power-hungry low frequencies from the main amp and speakers. The Oppo will play any digital format I need: Blu-ray audio and video (and nascent UHD discs), DVDs, SACDs, CDs, downloaded hi-res FLAC, etc.

IMO the "audiophile-grade" Oppo players (UDP-205, BDP-105, BDP-95) sound great.
I'd love to get one of the players newer than the 83 in here. Love my 83.
Other things that I need to put the funds towards, though.

Back
Top Bottom