Oppo Digital Folding.

I wonder why. The Oppo site doesn't give a clue, and my anti-ad strategy precludes Forbes, usually no biggie...

Wow ... Thats an eye opener!

I've been Oppo exclusive since I heard the DV981HD -
my first Oppo disc player, and still in use!
Glad I got the BDP103D a year back!

Interesting note - I looked up dates & prices on the Oppo Disc Players I have bought so far.

7/16/2008 Oppo DV981HD (WOOT closeout! price $104.99) 1080p High Definition Up-Converting DVD Player with HDMI

Nov 2010 OPPO BDP-93 Pre-Release price $499 direct from Oppo

10/20/16 Refurbished OPPO BDP-103D Darbee Edition - $507.00 USD direct from Oppo
w/2 Year Standard Warranty for BDP103
(and a friend bought the 6yo BDP-93 for $250)

Last edited:
saw this earlier on FB group for DC area hifi'ers. At first i thought it was an April 1 joke. Guess that streaming beats hardware now.....glad i picked up a 205 a few months ago. Great dac in there besides the 4k and extras.

Wonder if it's related to the stock market drop in this sector; not to go political but there's talk of trade restrictions in technology.

Wow...sad news. I have gotten several updates for my Oppo and was considering one of their 4K players. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere.

Wow...sad news. I have gotten several updates for my Oppo and was considering one of their 4K players. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere.
This is a big shock to me, I have been a supporter of them since there first Blu-ray player the bdp-83 and have had almost all up to my current udp 203 and am still considering the 205 because imo there just isn't anything that comes close for the price, sad day indeed.

Audiofreak71

^^^
Me thinks so.

$1500 DVD Player.
Plays just like a $79 DVD Player.
But hey.....its Audiophile Quality!

Whooooooosh!!!!!!!!!!!!
50 cent beer from a 6 month old brewery has the same appeal as a $5 beer from a brewery dating back to the 1700s ... whoooooosh!

Could it be there's little to no performance benefit between their high-end gear and cheap Best Buy options?

And people are finally noticing these facts?

Mmmmm....could be.....
Now that's interesting and clearly not even close to being true but surely your just either making a joke (a bad one) or trying to start some stuff on this thread.

Audiofreak71

So you’re asserting those who don’t share your opinions are not sincere?
Nope I'm saying that if you have facts that a high end product is not different than a low end best buy special then please share the science behind how there the same, otherwise it's talking out your neck.

Audiofreak71

Could it be there's little to no performance benefit between their high-end gear and cheap Best Buy options?

And people are finally noticing these facts?
For the typical, non-audiophile consumer, certainly. One DVD player is pretty much like every other if you just use it to play movies.

For the audiophile, maybe. A DVD player is a mostly-digital device, and digital devices tend to either work or not. Once you've got a device that generates a correct stream of data -- which, these days, doesn't cost much to achieve -- you can add component quality all you like and you'll still get exactly the same stream of data.

That means the only places where a manufacturer can differentiate is in aesthetic design or length of warranty (and associated component robustness) -- which few consumers are willing to pay for -- or the tiny handful of components in the DAC circuitry. And there lies the rub: the sonic distinctions between high end and low end DACs, if any, might be more about personal preference than any real difference in quality. If you like the sound of a $79 DVD player, why spend more?

Furthermore, if you're only using the DVD player as a transport and are using an external DAC, then there's even less reason to choose one DVD player over another. Anything that spins the disk and emits a stream of digital data is fine and -- by the very definition of how digital systems work -- essentially identical.

For the typical, non-audiophile consumer, certainly. One DVD player is pretty much like every other if you just use it to play movies.

For the audiophile, maybe. A DVD player is a mostly-digital device, and digital devices tend to either work or not. Once you've got a device that generates a correct stream of data -- which, these days, doesn't cost much to achieve -- you can add component quality all you like and you'll still get exactly the same stream of data.

That means the only places where a manufacturer can differentiate is in aesthetic design or length of warranty (and associated component robustness) -- which few consumers are willing to pay for -- or the tiny handful of components in the DAC circuitry. And there lies the rub: the sonic distinctions between high end and low end DACs, if any, might be more about personal preference than any real difference in quality. If you like the sound of a $79 DVD player, why spend more?

Furthermore, if you're only using the DVD player as a transport and are using an external DAC, then there's even less reason to choose one DVD player over another. Anything that spins the disk and emits a stream of digital data is fine and -- by the very definition of how digital systems work -- essentially identical.
Now this is a better way to put it imo

Audiofreak71

Back
Top Bottom