Oppo DV981HD Dying - what to replace it with?

hjames

We are all just walking each other home.
Staff member
Super Mod
Subscriber
Okay, I'm a dyed in the wool Oppo fan - got the DV-981HD player for $100 Closeout price from Woot July 2008, and its had an occasional failure where the power light seems to turn purple - which is actually the red and blue lights being on at the same time. When it happens, it doesn't work. Oppo fixed it once in 2010 I believe , the second time (2014) they fixed it for free - but when I noticed yesterday it had happened for a third time, I wrote them. Sadly, their reply was "Unfortunately in this case we are no longer able to repair the player since we no longer have the hardware components necessary for repairing your player. So you will need to look into having this player recycled and then buying a replacement disc player."

I'm not complaining - that's 10 years of service for $100 plus the $50 repair fee in 2010 ...

So - its time to find a replacement disc player for my Audio only 2ch system. Good fidelity is essential.
... It needs to play redbook CDs and SACDs. I use standard RCA type left and right signal out for most sources, and if it also had a coaxial out so I could feed my external DAC when I play HDCDs, that would be perfect!

I'll look for a replacement Oppo, of course, but do you have any ideas/recommendations for what I should look for in the used market?

I don't know about whether it plays the formats you need, but the Onkyo CP 7030 seems to be popular for redbook CDs. I'm still using my Oppo 980- hope it hangs in there!

I would recommend an Oppo 103 or 105 (latter preferable) because those units can be used to rip SACDs if you ever decide to ditch physical media.

I would recommend an Oppo 103 or 105 (latter preferable) because those units can be used to rip SACDs if you ever decide to ditch physical media.
Thanks Nate! - I do have an Oppo BDP-103D down in the multimedia room for movies and such.

I usually stream music from my macPro in the 2 channel room (tubes and the Heath "Valencias"),
but I like having a disc player in that system as well, for critical listening ;)

OK - this morning I saw a listing for a DV-970HD player on the DC Craigslist.
Most of the text was just the Oppo Marketing boilerplate, but I confirmed its a working multidisc player,
it has the remote, everything works, and size-wise - it will slide into the rack exactly where the 981HD sat!
I think of the 4 of them 970, 971, 980, and the 981, the 971 is supposed to be the best sound of that era.
But the price was fair, it was near Wolftrap, (close!) and its in my living room now!

I went through the setup screens and put it in forced stereo SACD mode for that 2 ch system,
I can play multichannel on the Oppo BDP103D in the 7.1 multimedia system downstairs if desired, but this just need to be the best for 2 ch use!
After setup, I unplugged it from the HDTV, carried it upstairs and stood on a chair.
Powered down the rack, pulled the old 981, slipped the 970 in its place, powered it all back up, and played some music!

First an SACD - Bucky Pizzarelli: Swing Live - it all sounds great.
Next a redbook - Boz Scaggs: Dig - just for fun.
Then an HDCD - Grateful Dead: Reckoning (aka - For the Faithful). They all play well!

Also - I confirmed my DV981 remote works fine (they look the same) - so I got a spare.

2018-TubeRackOppo_7062.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 3.46.27 PM.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom