Oppo Sonica DAC Being Dropped

Try listening to Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini" when all of the 26 variations are on individual tracks, most of them under two minutes in length. (For those not familiar with this work, the pieces are all played as one performance, straight through, no breaks.) Makes you want to chuck a player through the nearest window...or at the very least, convert a person to gapless playback. ;) I'm not about to go through thousands of files and merge them so I can play entire classical works back with gapless.

I'm not a fan of it, but I would imagine that listening to the Goldberg Variations is just as frustrating. (Unless it's that early single-track Glenn Gould CD that Columbia released, where the CD marked the movements with CD's rarely-used "index" feature.)
I have a few versions of Rhapsody on a... and they all play gapless even though the files are separate. Synology nas/Bifrost MB. Same through PS Audio NuWave dac.

Mine are ripped from cd so maybe that's the difference.

Murray
6KAMK1y.jpg

Last edited:
I have a few versions of Rhapsody on a... and they all play gapless even though the files are separate. Synology nas/Bifrost MB. Same through PS Audio NuWave dac.
True...many players can handle gapless with no problem. That is why the Sonica DAC was such a disappointment. (And a shame, since it sounded so good!) Gapless shouldn't have been an issue in 2017--others do it with no issues. I'm likely going the route of the PS Audio DirectStream (with Bridge II) or DirectStream Junior once I get some other upgrades in place. I'll have a couple of chances to hear these in the next few months. :thumbsup:

The Oppo brand is just a clearing house for a big Chinese electronics conglomerate. The Oppo of the past is long gone (like 2010 they sold out). The DAC did not get good reviews compared to others in the price point, that is all it is. I mean it was exactly the same as the DAC setup in one of their Blu-Ray players (layout and all) so why not spend the money for the disc player?

So who exactly did they "sell out" to? They were part of BBK back in 2005 - they were NEVER a US firm, they just had a west coast office ...
I found a 2005 article on the DV 971HD disk player at http://www.projectorcentral.com/oppo_opdv971h_dvd_player.htm that said:

So who is Oppo? They certainly are not a household name and with good reason as Oppo is a newly created North American branch of BBK Electronics of China, a giant in the manufacture of consumer electronics, employing 12,000 people worldwide. So while Oppo is a new name, the company and the technology behind it are quite substantial.

Back
Top Bottom