Oppo UDP 203 vs. Yamaha BD A1060 Universal Players

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by Mellotronix, Sep 29, 2017.

1. lightcapture

lightcapture Active Member

Congratulation on a 1060 for $250. I surely wouldn't hesitate either. The BD-A1060 is at the top of my bluray player list because of the balanced output in a $500 player.
    Does the 1060 sound the same or better than the 1040? And are you using the balanced outputs.

2. hjames

hjames Nabbed ... Subscriber

Got the 981HD on the 2ch tube system, the 103-D in the 7.1 room ..
    (tho HDCDs are 2 ch discs and usually played in the 2ch system)
    Both of them happily do HDCDs - and, you say the 203s do NOT do HDCD??
    Sad ... so I guess no upgrade for me!

3. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

yes HDCD support was quietly dropped for the 20x series

as I understand it the 105 had the ability to be used as a USB DAC like the 20x so if I ever upgrade I will probably sell my 103 and get a 105 when prices of latter come down as I'm way more audio centric than I am video centric, then I will have a 95 and a 105

4. Hyfi

Hyfi Super Member

What about Customer Service? OPPO responds in less than an hour in most cases and rectifies the issue or sends you a needed part very quickly.

What happens when you call or email Yamaha for help?

5. soundboy

soundboy Super Member

And both the 203 and 205 are now available as refurbished models (on Opp's website) if you guys are looking for discounts. Same warranty as the new ones. With the discount, maybe you may want to get an extended warranty.

On the other hand, Oppo seems very reliable and their customer care is reportedly first rate.

6. Mellotronix

Mellotronix Active Member

Yes. I mentioned this in my original post. Professional reviewers from at least two high profile audiophile publications indicated that it played DVD-A, but they are wrong. I think it's criminal when supposedly trusted sources get basic information wrong, but that's why services like Audiokarma are so valuable. In Yamaha's defense, they do not list DVD-A as a supported format in the manual IIRC.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  7. Mellotronix

I gave up on customer service years ago. I do, however, purchase from retailers who have at least a 30 day no questions asked replacement or refund policy. Crutchfiled was great about replacing my original 203. They sent an RA via email within an hour of my complaint. I received the replacement exactly 10 days after the I dropped the broken unit off at UPS.

8. Andrei

Andrei Active Member

Just curious: does 203 read SACD-R like the previous 103?

9. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

Oppo customer service is no joke, they are awesome. My 95 was bought from a pawn shop and was missing the remote and wifi dongle. I got hooked up for $30something and they even threw in some RCA jack caps for free.

10. Mellotronix

Thanks a million for that info. I will keep it in mind.