1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Optimus Pro LX5... Do i have a problem?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by jobrewer1983, Mar 20, 2017.

1. jobrewer1983

jobrewer1983 Super Member

Hi All,

This weekend I was driving by a new local thrift store. I had stopped in a few weeks back but did not seem to find anything good. This weekend me and my gal were driving by and i decided to stop again. Had a lot of overpriced vinyl, and random crap bookshelf speaker.. the usual at most thrift stores any more now days.

As I was about to leave I noticed a set of the Optimus LX5's. While I tend to stay away for low budget gear, I do love some of the realistic lines (Minimis/Nova). I actually walked out of the store, and up the block to my truck. I than turned to my gal and said, I cant leave them! So 20bucks letter.. I was the proud owner.
    Linaeum.jpg

They are dusty as all get out, but im planning a full cleaning, new foam on the set. I am ordering the foam today.

I've seen some good/bad reviews on the set, but i do know they are iconic Optimus speakers.

I think im addicted to buying audio gear... I've been doing good for the past few months but I just felt like leaving them they would not have been properly taken care of...

So for what its worth... i have a set of LX-5's that ill restore and probably never really put to use..

Not sure what info im asking for other than any one on the site know any good mods for the set? I know to use Poly fill. :)

Kind Regards,
    John

2. tanker 200

tanker 200 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a pair also, I may get to refoaming them eventually, they were free, saved from the recycler. I thought they'd be fun to play around with

3. jobrewer1983

Im in the same boat... they seem to be fun to mess with. They are nothing id put in my living room, but could very well replace my work speakers. They would look nice in my cube.

Kind Regards,
    John

tanker 200 likes this.
  4. jimfet

jimfet AK Subscriber Subscriber

I use one. Replaced the woofer with a Peerless woofer. I use it for center channel.

5. soundboy

soundboy Super Member

Welcome to the club! :biggrin:

Are these the ones with the port on the front?

6. Boonaroo

Boonaroo AK Subscriber Subscriber

I owned a pair that I ended up parting out. I still have the ribbon tweeters for some project in the future, along with the crossovers. Tossed the cabinets and woofers. They were nice little speakers for what I paired for them, but not nice enough for me to invest time, money and effort in reforming them.

Hope you enjoy yours.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  7. punchback

punchback AK Subscriber Subscriber

Here is a link to a tear down video.

I also have a pair that I haven't done anything with.

8. jobrewer1983

Thanks soundboy,

Yes, they have the dual ports up front. I did notice that the previous owner had stuffed them with straws. I read on the site that some folks did that to slow down the out flow. Not sure if that is true or not, but mine had about 10 straws stuffed down each port.

I alos read that they were not well built... Not sure why one would think that, they are metal enclosures, textured, and solid. They seem to be built like mini tanks.

They will be going into my collection, they just look to damn cool to be rid of. I did read that they make great surrounds. I may end up connecting my A-71 so i can run them as rears. I will be documenting the foam work on this thread.

Glad to be a part of the LX5 club, all day any day!

Kind Regards,
    John

9. jobrewer1983

Thanks Boonaroo,

I usually would not take the time to restore older Radio Shack gear, but the LX5's just look to damn cool. dont get me wrong, I have a set of JBL D280's on my cabinet right now waiting for repair, for me, the LX5's are collectable enough to restore. I actually enjoy the foam process.

The trick will be to mount the foam on the rear side of the cone, JBL was known for this, and I've foamed/coned enough now that this should be easy work, so i should not spend to much time. the cabinets look good enough to be used again and look nice.

I will be restoring them solely for my cube speakers, will need to find a nice desktop amp. They will look good at work, and im sure will get a lot of questions from co-workers.

Kind Regards,
    John

10. jobrewer1983

Hi punchback,

Thank you for the video, This was very helpful. I may just tear them down tonight for the hell of it. Super cool, and thank you for the video.

Kind Regards,
    John

11. punchback

punchback AK Subscriber Subscriber

12. soundboy

soundboy Super Member

I was going to recommend trying that....the straws in the port.

I think the later version of the LX5 was not ported. So maybe there's something to the straws?

I don't own any LX5, although I am a fan of the LX series.