Options for playing digital music ... now that Oppo is out of business

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by robert_kc, Apr 7, 2018.

1. tmtomh

tmtomh Active Member

The 203 is no different than the 103 in this respect, as indicated by their back panels. The feature they lack, and that the 105 and 205 have, is the asynchronous USB DAC input.

With all four of the players - 103/203/105/205 - you can play music files via USB by plugging a USB hard drive or USB stick into one of the USB ports. Of course the music will be using the DAC in the Oppo machine. But used this way, the Oppo is controlling everything: You can - and have to - use the Oppo's control interface to find the music and play it. You also have to depend on the Oppo's somewhat limited abilities when it comes to gapless playback.

On the 105 and 205 machines, however, you also get a USB DAC input. This input makes the Oppo machine into an outboard DAC. You can't plug a hard drive or stick into this USB port. Instead, you plug in a computer, a dedicated streamer, or some other "smart" device into the port, and that device becomes your user interface. The Oppo just becomes a DAC - the volume control on the Oppo is pretty much the only separate function that remains active in that mode.

This mode allows you more choice in the software and user interface you use to catalogue, select, and play your digital music collection. It also allows much better support for gapless playback, since all the work to make that happen is taken away from the Oppo in this mode.

Now, the 103 and 203 do have ways to be used as outboard DACs. You can plug into their optical and coax digital inputs, and also into their HDMI inputs. (And the 105/205 also have these same options.) It's just that there are some limitations with those other input methods, especially optical (doesn't always support super high-res data transmission) and HDMI (limited number of external smart players/devices that have HDMI outputs).

But the 103 and 203 are identical to each other as far as the ways you can, and cannot, connect to and use them.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. E-Stat

E-Stat Super Member

Thx- that’s what I thought.

tmtomh likes this.
  3. robert_kc

robert_kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

I own UDP-205, BDP-105, and BDP-95.

I don't own the UDP-203, BDP-103 or BDP-93. With that said, my understanding is that the optical and coax connections that you see on these units are outputs, not inputs.

Here's what Oppo says on their web site about the difference between the BDP-103 and BDP-105:

The OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 share the same primary components (including the mainboard, laser, and loader) for superb audio and video playback, and while the BDP-103 and BDP-105 are identical in performance when it comes to audio and video over HDMI, the BDP-105 offers a number of enhancements:​
    1. The BDP-105 features improved sound quality from its analog audio outputs with its implementation of dual 32-bit ESS Technology digital-to-analog converters, a toroidal power supply, and two sets of dedicated stereo analog outputs (balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA) for 2-channel enthusiasts. Customers who do a great deal of critical music listening using a very high end, analog connected system will benefit most from these additions.
    2. The BDP-105 features a headphone amplifier for use with high-quality headphones.
    3. The BDP-105 features three additional digital audio inputs: optical, coaxial, and a 2-channel asynchronous USB DAC input.
    Furthermore, the BDP-105 is graced with additional aesthetic and ergonomic enhancements that include a larger 4.8 inch tall chassis, sculpted aluminum front panel, touch sensitive front-panel playback controls, availability of an optional rack mount kit, and availability in Black or Silver.
    Here's what Oppo says on their web site about the difference between the UDP-203 and UDP-205:

The OPPO UDP-203 and UDP-205 share many of the same primary components, and while the UDP-203 and UDP-205 are identical in performance when it comes to video, the UDP-205 offers a number of enhancements in terms of audio.

The UDP-205 features improved sound quality from its analog audio outputs courtesy of its implementation of dual 32-bit ESS Technology ES9038 PRO reference DACs, a toroidal power supply, and two sets of dedicated stereo analog outputs (balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA) for 2-channel enthusiasts. Customers who do a great deal of critical music listening using a very high end, analog connected system will benefit most from these additions.

The UDP-205 also features a high precision HDMI clock and special HDMI audio jitter reduction circuit on its HDMI Audio Only output. For more information about this feature, please read the following KB article here.

As of November 2017, the UDP-205 supports the audio format MQA (Master Quality Authenticated). Customers are able to play MQA files from connected USB hard drives and thumb drives, DLNA servers, and SMB shares.

Finally, the UDP-205 also features a headphone amplifier for use with high-quality headphones, as well as three additional digital audio inputs to take advantage of the internal DACs (optical, coaxial, and a 2-channel asynchronous USB DAC input.)

If you look at the back panel of the UDP-205 and BDP-105 you see Digital Audio Inputs (Optical, Coaxial, USB DAC).

UDP-205:

[​IMG]

BDP-105:

[​IMG]

I use the TOSLINK optical input on my UDP-205 and BDP-105 to connect Chromecast Audio - i.e., using the Oppo's DAC.

On my UDP-205, I use the HMDI input to connect Chromecast (video) for Netflix, so that the UDP-205's bass management comes into play, and the subwoofer is engaged.

My understanding is that you can plug a USB hard drive (or thumb drive) into all of the last 4 generations of Oppo machines, and it will read music files. (As others have pointed out, this is different from connecting a PC to the Oppo and using the Oppo's DAC - which is provided by the UDP-205 and BDP-105 asynchronous USB DAC input.)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    awillia6 likes this.
  4. KrisM

KrisM Addicted Member

Lots of good info in this thread.
    I'm living with my 'lowly' 83, but have thought about upgrading at some point. Not in the budget right now, but still good to know what's what if I ever go the used route.

A bit off topic, but not completely;
    Does anybody know what disc transports and laser assembly the various Oppo unit use?
    It might be wise of use that want to carry on with them to snag a spare.

Ckafoweeth likes this.
  5. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

I stand corrected. I swear I read some early info that either stated or implied that the 203 was getting the asynchronous USB input but apparently that is not the case.

tmtomh likes this.
  6. slimecity

slimecity Super Member

Did the OP miss 5.1 analogue outputs from his list? Thats one of the main reasons why I bought my BDP-95.

Can one hope for a modern player to have these anymore these days?

7. robert_kc

robert_kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yes - I agree - based on my needs, 5.1 analog outputs is an important feature. Here's how I described this requirement in my initial post: "Pre-amp functionality built-in, with remote volume control, suitable for directly driving a power amp. RCA analog line-level outputs for 2.0, 2.1, and 5.1. (In my case, to drive my vintage tube power amps without requiring another piece of equipment in the audio chain, such as a pre-amp, pre-processor, or AVR.)"

Thus far, I haven't found anything that would meet my requirements as well as the Oppo UDP-205. I've added my name to the wait list for a possible future production run: https://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    slimecity likes this.