Optonica RP-3500 direct drive turntable by Sharp

BilboBaggins

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
the last two weeks have been pretty good to me in the turntable world. I've found a really nice Thorens TD-160 mark 1, a Sony PS-X600 (not working...yet!), and an Optonica RP-3500 turntable from Sharp!

This beast is massive! It has a stone plinth made from a synthetic granite like material and it is heavy and solid! It has a nice SME style tonearm that looks like it could be easily replaced with a better one, if you so desired. And it sounds really good. It is quite stable and resistant to footfalls, and my floor even has a certain amount of spring in places, and it doesn't seem to be bothered much by that. The lower section of the plinth is a composite wood with a very nice rosewood veneer on it.

Here are some pictures.

IMG_2826.JPG IMG_2828.JPG IMG_2827.JPG

Does anyone know anything about this table? I found a little information, but not a lot. I'm quite impressed with it! I think it is a much higher end version of the Kenwood KD-2055! Is this the arm it came with? Or what kind of arm is it?

Thanks for your input in advance!

I have one, it is my daily driver & it is unlikely to ever leave my possession. I have an Ortofon 2m Black (which cost more than the TT) on it now but have had good results from several Shures & a Stanton 681EEE. Optonica was Sharps upmarket brand but it never really took off so the products are underappreciated in the resale market. Mine also is nicely resistant to footfalls. Best of luck with the new deck - mine has been trouble free.

I own the exact same table we sold them new I have had this unit about 40 years It is a fantastic unit all I ever had to do is clean the controls. The feet are adjustable and if is a granite table. Nothing looks like them and they had an ac motor instead of a DC motor. Not many of them out there when we were selling them you could order only so many of these units. Probably a marketing ploy.

A beautiful example Bilbo. I have the 3636 which I've owned since new, they look identical. Mine has been bulletproof, even made it thru my college days unscathed. The only knock on them is the simulated granite can crack if treated roughly. This mostly applies to shipping.

Thanks for all the replies! It says quite a lot that you guys have had one of these for so long! I'm afraid I have a bit of a problem. I'm addicted to turntables and can't pass up a nice example of one. My critical listening setup with two tables hasn't changed in the last three years, but my casual system, in the living room, has had a different table about every 6 months. I'm going to have to spend some time with this one and see how I feel about it. I love the looks, the weight, and the torque in the motor.

A little late on this thread but does the granite help reduce feedback?

I think so. I only had it for about a week. Somebody snapped it up pretty quickly.

There's something about those synthetic rock plinths that really gives them a nice sound. I've noticed this with all 3 Kenwood KD-2055s I've had, and I think the Optonica took things at least one step further. I highly recommend one of these tables.

I got the Sony P-X600 working and it is in the living room now, even displacing the B&O 4002 that was there! The most stable table I've had yet! And, btw, it has a special synthetic plinth too, however the Optonica is much more beautiful! It really is a stunner!

Last edited:
I've not any feedback issues with mine. Can't say if thats attributable to the design & build or to the electronics. .

Gives me some ideas for a bunch of Quartz PLL motors and platters I have floating around.

Granite and timber on that unit looks beautiful.

I think the same construction and a Quartz Lock drive, simple arm and a sandwich rosewood/mahogany base would be gorgeous.

Gives me some ideas for a bunch of Quartz PLL motors and platters I have floating around.

Granite and timber on that unit looks beautiful.

I think the same construction and a Quartz Lock drive, simple arm and a sandwich rosewood/mahogany base would be gorgeous.

Cool project..

That it is. It is one of the things I love about turntables. So many choices and with the right choices of cartridge-stylus, excellent sonics! My wife still remembers that table, and I only had it working about a week, when somebody dropped by and just gravitated to that table. He walked out very happy with the 3500. I had forgotten about this thread, but never forgotten about that table. Some of them just stick in my memory.

Back
Top Bottom