$$$$ or yamaha ns 1000

jeanmarie

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
altec flamenco speakers .I have an offer of a near mint pair of yamaha ns 1000M speakers or 900.00 cash. What would you do?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would initially consider the cash, but then start researching the NS1000, and realize that my life as a hifi enthusiast will never be complete unless I own some for a while!

It's referenced almost as much as a quad ESL, or a McIntosh Mc275. Don't you want to hear for yourself what all the fuss is about?

This belongs in Dollars & Sense, but a lot depends on the condition of the Altecs, definition of "near mint" for the Yammies, your local market, and what you like (in terms of sound).

I'd go for the NS over the cash if you're in an experimental mood.
If you've already got your system squared away and don't feel like trying anything new then cash. You could get more for the speakers but it might be a pain in the rear to move them depending on your location.

You could get more for the speakers but it might be a pain in the rear to move them depending on your location.
If you're purely weighing the values of $$ vs. Yammies, after fees and hours spent on packing plus that feeling of "anything might happen" once you ship 'em out, I'd take the money. Anyways, I think that's a good offer either way for a pair of Altec's. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Altec fan.

I think they sell got pretty good money. I know there are folks who buy them from Japan in order to secure a nice pair though they are kinda nuts (in a good way).

Around here they would probably fetch $1300-1500 or a bit more I'd guess. There are a few pair for more than that which have been sitting for quite some time.

Is your system geared towards low efficiency or high efficiency speakers. If you use lowered watt tube amps you might not have enough power for the Yamaha speakers, which are not very sensitive. So it depends a lot on what you're after. I think $900 is a pretty good deal for Yamahas NS-1000 if they're in great shape. Again, this depends on what you're after in terms of sound quality.

Is your system geared towards low efficiency or high efficiency speakers. If you use lowered watt tube amps you might not have enough power for the Yamaha speakers, which are not very sensitive. So it depends a lot on what you're after. I think $900 is a pretty good deal for Yamahas NS-1000 if they're in great shape. Again, this depends on what you're after in terms of sound quality.

NS-1000M's are not that inefficient. I've run HH Scott LK-72 (30 wpc) with excellent results. McIntosh MC-60 (60 wpc) will give all the volume you would ever want. BTW, NS-1000M's sound awesome with tubes. It's difficult to describe unless you've heard the pairing. Give it a try.

Not only wonderful sounding, that series is also quite attractive.
View attachment 1229156

RSL style speaker stands!

VFzgu1x.jpg

altec flamenco speakers .I have an offer of a near mint pair of yamaha ns 1000M speakers or 900.00 cash. What would you do?
That would depend on what my goals were if I needed the money I would take the cash if I wanted a nice set of speakers to listen too I would take the yamaha ns 1000M's they have the best imaging of any speaker I have ever heard the treble and mid range is exceptional the bass so so but that can be fixed with a musical subwoofer. You could sell them for more then 900.00 if they are in nice shape and are working properly or part them out but this may take a while.

I personally would trade for the yamaha ns 1000M's but I know how nice they sound :)

Regards Snow

Let me chime as I own both. I spent (local pick up) way more on my Altecs which are not as good shape as yours.
I also spent way more on the home edition (pristine) NS-1000 to complete my Yamaha TX/MX/CX/CDX and GT-2000 stack.
Local pick up as well.
Now the more important part - two totally different speakers for sure, but I never heard the NS sound so awesome as with an 18wpc Shindo amp (entry level EL84). Same for the Altec, but they sound awesome with some 8 wpc mono blocks.

I assume all this is known here on AK. I would say that you should try the NS for a while and then decide if you like it or not. Mine are keepers. Love the Altec too but for other reasons those may not stay... YMMV and GLWTT!

Back
Top Bottom