Ordered a Unicorn Salt Mill

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
RE: Unicorn Pepper Mills, by Tom David, Inc
http://www.unicornmills.com/

Of all of the Pepper Mills I have owned over the years My Unicorn 9" Magnum is the best of the best. I have never had a mill that once set, stays set and you get a consistent grind every single time, plus you know, every single time, how much cracked pepper it is going to produce with each twist of the grinder. The Unicorn Mills are made in Nantucket, Massachusetts, with the mill elements made in Italy, the best. They can custom make them for you. If you use white pepper they can assemble the their pepper mills with a black body and a white top so you can easily tell the difference when you are cooking. I have finally ordered their Salt Mill.

The 9" Magnum Pepper Mill :bowdown:
316wXvzCigL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

They don't make the Salt Mill in the 9" Magnum size. so I purchased the 6" Key Top Mill. Unicorn salt mills have proper ceramic grinding elements that will not corrode. My final Peugeot salt mill with it's stainless steel grinder finally died. I was ordering some more salt from Salt Works and I decided it was time to replace the worn out Peugeot.

https://www.seasalt.com/ Be sure to check out their bulk section you will save big bucks.

6" Key Top Salt Mill
11Q2AVDjsmL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

I am seriously thinking about getting the matching Key Top pepper mill. The smaller size would be better at the dinner table.

DB87A3B1-92C4-4BBF-A417-8924FCAE6003.jpeg

18" Vic Firth is my go to mill on the table.Been using it for decades without any problems.

vicFirth18.jpg

However they make a set called the Finback, a whale tail twisty part. Here is Unicorn’s complete line.

28CDBB05-C77A-42AC-92F6-7EC94168B799.jpeg

18" Vic Firth is my go to mill on the table.Been using it for decades without any problems.

My Peugeot pepper mill is great. The only thing I don’t like about it is the inconsistant grind. That is because the way you adjust the mill. The screw nut on top on mine tends to turn with the movement of the twist top. I made the mistake of getting matching salt mill with a stainless steel mill which lost it’s grind action because of corrosion.

Here are the mills on my 2 pepper mills. The Unicorn is on the right the adjustment screw is in the center on the Unicorn.

0574C71E-DDC0-4922-85BF-E9C71A1B7D56.jpeg

The Firth is an industrial grinder. Large conical steel burrs like you would find in a commercial coffee grinder.

Firth burrs on the left. Hario Skerton coffee grinder burrs on the right

vicFirth18-harioSkerton.jpg

vickFirth18-burrs.jpg

Last edited:
Unicorn Pepper Mills uses the Italian Tre Spade mill set. The ceramic version looks the same as the SS mill.

E1D4D5A1-5418-49F3-93F5-F12A2AF9957A.jpeg

Last edited:
Unicorn Pepper Mills uses the Italian Tre Spade mill set.

This thread perked my interest enough to look into the Unicorn mills. I am impressed and should the time come that I want a new mill this would be tops on my list of products. I've been a coffee geek for decades and know grinders inside out (even customized several commercial coffee grinders that I am still using).

https://www.home-barista.com/grinders/mazzer-electronic-doser-kits-t27589.html

Looking forward to hearing more reports from you (and others) as you use it more.

Thanks for posting and sharing your experiences. Made my day when I can learn something new.

Ever hear the maxim that the quality of a restaurant is in inverse proportion to the size of their pepper mills. :) Thanks for the tip of the Unicorn mills.

I turned a professional chef in Sweden on to the Unicorn Mill. He got the Magnum Plus 9” just like mine. He told me it was the best pepper mill he had ever used. He repeated what I said above, consistent grind, and predictable yield from each twist. An important consideration for a working chef.

I turned a professional chef in Sweden on to the Unicorn Mill. He got the Magnum Plus 9” just like mine. He told me it was the best pepper mill he had ever used. He repeated what I said above, consistent grind, and predictable yield from each twist. An important consideration for a working chef.

I'm not surprised. Even the "lowly" Keytop model is excellent. BTW, I just ordered the Keytop Salt Mill. Thanks, for starting this thread.

-Dave

Last edited:
I'm not surprised. Even the "lowly" Keytop model is excellent. BTW, I just ordered the Keytop Salt Mill. Thanks, for the starting this thread.

-Dave

Be sure to check out Salt Works. Been a customer for years. They have all of the really good “sea salts” from all over the world. From the “bulk shop” I just ordered 5 pounds of medium grain Himalayan Pink $19 Dollars for the new salt mill, and 5 pounds of my everyday go to salt Pacific Blue Kosher from South Korea $12.70. They have free shipping and they ship very fast, ordered late Saturday night my order will be here tomorrow.

A184A279-5545-44DD-BD09-BE0DCCB06C52.jpeg

1D0E3B4B-42D3-4A70-B4A8-E81F66B77405.jpeg

I saw this on the Unicorn web site last night: "Please note that Grey, Pink, Celtic and Himalayan salts are not fully dried and will cause problems if used in our salt grinders. They are "moist" or "damp" salts and will clog/gum up the teeth of the grinding mechanism. We only recommend dry, brittle salt such as coarse sea salt (crystal size is approximately the size of a peppercorn)." :(

-Dave

I have not had any problems with the Himalayian Pink it is very dry in Cheyenne so it will not pick up any moisture. But a good alternative is Bolivian Rose, 5 pounds of it is $21.20. It come from the Salar de Uyuni the largest salt flat on the planet.

DBA8D474-E989-440F-B408-392A4F0997D1.jpeg

I see they have the Australian Paragon salt back in stock it has not been available for several years. 5 pounds of course grain is $11.60 USD free shipping. The only salt that I don’t like is the flake salt from Cyprus $53 bucks for 3 pounds I don’t like the texture or the flavor.

EAFDE344-1EBA-42EE-9DFA-F64A77F2B208.jpeg

I with all of the “rumble in the jungle” conflagurations you can see on Youtube happening in restaurants I wonder if there is a market for a pepper mill that can double as a nightstick so waiters can defend themselves ;)

Back
Top Bottom