Ordered My Ultra Sonic Tank and Vinyl Spinner

I am $525 into mine. This include the tank, the Vinyl Stack, the pump, and the filter. Like Mister Pig, I already had a VPI 16.5. I bought it more than 10 years ago. Also agree with Mister Pig as I will be spending way less on cleaning fluid than I used to spend. Also, it is way less labor intensive.
Well its true. I am a lazy pig.

Regards
Mister Pig

We have a $40,000.00 commercial system which can clean 20 records per batch (including heavy 78s). The records are setup on spindles, with round center spacers with O-rings around the perimeters to keep the labels from getting wet. The ultrasonic cleaning portion of the system also has a lower frequency "de-gassing" cycle which removes bubbles from the solution. After cleaning, the records spin off the cleaning solution before going into the rinse tub. They spin rinse for several minutes before they're raised from the solution and spin dry at a higher speed. Each tank sits on a heavy steel base which also has an air-spring lowering mechanism attached. In full production we clean and archive over 4000 records per week. I know I have pictures posted on this site somewhere if you want to search.

Seems I recall this mother of all cleaning setups.

I don't suppose they let you take it home for the weekend.:rflmao:

Last edited:
We have a $40,000.00 commercial system which can clean 20 records per batch (including heavy 78s). The records are setup on spindles, with round center spacers with O-rings around the perimeters to keep the labels from getting wet. The ultrasonic cleaning portion of the system also has a lower frequency "de-gassing" cycle which removes bubbles from the solution. After cleaning, the records spin off the cleaning solution before going into the rinse tub. They spin rinse for several minutes before they're raised from the solution and spin dry at a higher speed. Each tank sits on a heavy steel base which also has an air-spring lowering mechanism attached. In full production we clean and archive over 4000 records per week. I know I have pictures posted on this site somewhere if you want to search.

Hey..... I need a favor.......

Can you just do these 5,000 LP's for me...

You might want a way to dry records,
I just let mine drip dry and I use that term loosely, they dry quickly anyway. I stay away from using my Vac RCM on records that went thought the tank. The best part of ultrasonic cleaning in a heated tank is the expansion and contraction in the process. It pulls every bit of static out of the record, using the vacuum is friction and will start putting static back into the record. Then the fact your starting to put wet records on the RCMs platter, what about flipping it after you just vacuumed one side. I also find that we get mint used record because they where not handled much, the more you handle the record the more that can go wrong.

I let mine drip dry, then setup to put in new sleeves, I give them a wipe with the old school record lint cloth. Any lint that is on the surface of the record just falls to the floor because there is no static.

But I own it, so I am not ready to part with it until I know for a fact that this US system works for me.

No your going to want both systems as you don't want to have to use the ultrasonic all the time. One record cleaning here and there, touch-ups, a record that needs some aggressive scrubbing.

A question for those already using these: how much $ do you have in your ultrasonic cleaner setup?

I'm about $250 AUD I reckon. That includes US tank, homemade spinner and first batch of fluid.

I use a standard fluid recipe off the internet:

80% distilled water
20% IPA (99.97%)
6 drops of Kodak Photoflo

I found a distinct improvement with the IPA over plain water and Photoflo. You need to top up the liquid as it evaporates over time. I empty it into a larger container between cleans to limit the evaporation but top up with 60/40 water IPA as it gets low.

I probably get 150 - 200 records cleaned with the solution before I replace it. Last batch I could see the liquid browning.

I have a slow turn motor (3 revs per 7 mins) and generally run 14 mins for clean records and 21 for mega filthy. I used to run them at 35 Celsius but these days I crank it right up to 40 without any issues in warping. I'll admit the records do come out with a wobble in 1 direction (leant towards one label side) but this is fine when they cool and I've found the hotter the fluid the better the clean.

I have a 6l machine and only do 3 records at a time max.

Finished off with a vacuum wand to get all the fluid off.

Last edited:
Well I am going to have to bone up on the solution recipes. From what I saw its a mix of DI water, isopropyl alcohol, and some Triton 100X or Tegritol.

Temperature I am not sure on. Not sure how long a batch of cleaner is good for, or how many records are done. If you guys are filtering solution, are you using a cheese cloth? I have seen filter cartridges meant for irrigation systems that could be run inline from the drain also.

If this works out well, i wonder about moving my VPI on and finding a smaller footprint vacuum machine for drying. Being less expensive would be helpful also I suppose.

Regards
Mister Pig

I've had my 6L USC and vinyl stack for about 6 months now and am loving it. I run it at about 35° C, but they tend to fluctuate a bit and tend to get a little hotter. I use the Triton, distilled water, and about 5% IPA. It does a phenomenal job at the 3V setting for either 21 or 28 minutes. that would give it either 3 or 4 full turns on a record. I use one of those reusable #4 coffee filters with a paper filter inside it to filter the water into a clean bucket after around 21 or so records, depending on how dirty the water looks. Its pretty amazing how clean you think your records are, and how much dirt and debris ends up in the bottom of the tank!

About $565 for my 15 liter tank and the spindle kit that does 8 records at once.

@Davron94 is right. You have to watch out for the increase in temp from running the US cleaner. I set mine between 37 - 40 Celsius knowing it will climb to around 42.

alright im convinced, now to decide try to DIY or buy a vinylstack.
RCM is fine but sometimes i think its adding static to the record and turning it is just too much work :biggrin:

Can you just do these 5,000 LP's for me...

Eh just buy this one and get a truck axle to build the rotisserie from.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrasonic...de783e4:g:G0wAAOSwzgBY4kGL&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

s-l1600.jpg

I do the same as 4-2-7 mentioned above. I let them drip dry. By the time the "working" LP's are done in the bath the previous set are "drip dry" and I have never had an issue. I also use a traditional Nitty Gritty cleaner when needed. I had that before US and am glad I was too lazy to sell it. Doing US is much better but you need time and to do it effectively and efficiently you need to do a significant amount. Sometimes I have neither. Time or a significant amount.

One of my other hobbies is auto detailing. A big thing in that industry at the moment is so called "rinseless" wash solutions, which are designed to leave either a totally chemical free surface after flashing off or only leave a wax behind.

I use a product called McKee's 37 N-914, which is a rinseless solution designed not to leave any residue or chemicals behind. You mix it 1:128 with distilled water for this purpose.

I think it'd actually work great on records. It is designed to encapsulate dirt particles so that they don't scratch sensitive clear coats, it's got great surfectant properties, and it wipes off clean with no residue or need for rinsing. I emailed the chemist who makes it and his response was, "I'm confident it won't hurt your records, it's a very mild chemical when diluted properly."

I've been using a light spritz of it to cut static on my microfibers since I don't have a record brush at the moment.

You might want a way to dry records, and something like a KAB RCM or the Disc Doctor, or the CanFab would fit the bill and be under $200. I have a VPI 16.5 for this, but it is overkill. But I own it, so I am not ready to part with it until I know for a fact that this US system works for me. But I can find a less expensive option than the VPI if I want to.
I would hang onto that 16.5. In fact, if it were me, I would be looking to get something with even more suction, like the VPI Cyclone (or whatever it's called). I use a rather sad Record Doctor--if it had 2x the suction, and weren't falling apart, I would be happier. It is essentially a modified Nitty Gritty design, so the record does not sit on a platter like the VPI, but rotates by the label so that both sides can be wet and/or untouched while vacuuming.

The key thing is to use the ultrasonic to get that cavitation in there to work the dirt loose, then run a rinse cycle with clean water on a vacuum. Harry Weisfeld (VPI) found that gave him the cleanest records. (He mentions emptying "grey" water into the sink, so the rinse was definitely clearing away crud that a US cleaning alone leaves on the record.) There is an entire thread on it at VPI's own forum. If I can find it, I'll post it here. I never considered doing a rinse until I read that. For that reason, I don't get so bound up in making sure the ultrasonic is always 100% clean water and solution. It's like washing dishes. Loosen the crud with the detergent and scrubbing pad in the dishpan, then use clean water to rinse the dinner plates. I also don't overthink the solution--a surfactant to break surface tension, and a little isopropyl alcohol to get greasy fingerprints off. I wouldn't put a dish straight out of the dishpan into a rack to air dry; the same thing happens with US-cleaned records. They need that rinse.

It is possible to over-clean a record using an ultrasonic. I never set the heater on my US tank. The water heats up on its own from usage, and at that point I take a rest. Think about it--it's like scrubbing a warm piece of plastic. The warmer it is, the more likely the grooves will soften and get damaged. Weisfeld found a sweet spot where he could get the maximum cleaning after X number of minutes, but any more would start to etch the detail away from the music. I only "slam" impossible old records in the US bath that have difficult noise. Anything valuable, like new vinyl? Just the minimum to get off the pressing plant grunge and leave me with a clean record.

OK I got home from running errands today, and the FED EX guy has made a stop at my house. I have three packages, with one being the Trusonic Ultra Sonic tank, the other being the Vinyl Stack spinner.

The thrid package contains the AP 45 reissues of Muddy Waters Folk Singer and Ben Webster Soulville. Final record in that is a Colin Hays issue of acoustic and alternate mixes of his songs with Men at Work, and other solo pieces.

I had been busy and figured the tank would take a bit longer to show up. I need a surfacant to get a batch of cleaning solution made up. I had planned on ordering Triton 100X but had not gotten it ordered. Suppose I can use Jet Dry as a stand in and whip up a trial run of solution to give this a test run?

Regards
Mister Pig

Folex carpet cleaner is also basically 100% surfectant based and free of scents. You can get it at Home Depot and Lowes. Advertised as safe for vinyl upholstery as well.

Back
Top Bottom