Ordered replacement caps, got something else...

hemiram

So I wanted to replace the filter caps in my 46 year old Panasonic SA-6500 receiver. I punched in the part number and found a couple of exact replacements, so I ordered them. They came pretty quickly and I got out all my soldering stuff and took the receiver apart to change them out. The boxes had labels on them indicating they were the correct things:
myvYfx.jpg

But when I opened the box, I was surprised to see:
CuCCY1.jpg

Oops. I guess I should have opened the boxes first before I got everything all set up and taken apart. Oh well, supposedly I'm being sent the right caps and a return label. If they don't come, I will order others with a little higher cap and voltage. There's room in there. I just thought it was funny.

Well, to be fair those remotes probably do have a cap or two inside. Interesting that the boxes are right and the contents completely wrong though.

Is there something special about those caps that you couldn't buy them from a place that sells caps and other electronic parts instead of all things Panasonic?

I mean Digikey has 83 different ones in stock something has to be about right. Ranging in price from a couple bucks to a couple hundred. (first page of 20 only gets to 3.50 or so, plenty of less expensive ones). Send em a check with order and shipping is free or they have shipping for a few bucks.

That is odd that the box is labeled correctly and for that size box what does the cap look like?

Glad you are getting it straightened out.

Try this link to digi-key electronics. This should give a list for a very good variety of 50-63v caps. From there, we would need make sure the lead/terminal type, dimensions, and lead spacing will work for you.

Murphy's mother in law strikes again. That's really not good at all. Hope you get the right parts fast. Never heard of that happening before.

Is there something special about those caps that you couldn't buy them from a place that sells caps and other electronic parts instead of all things Panasonic?

I mean Digikey has 83 different ones in stock something has to be about right. Ranging in price from a couple bucks to a couple hundred. (first page of 20 only gets to 3.50 or so, plenty of less expensive ones). Send em a check with order and shipping is free or they have shipping for a few bucks.

That is odd that the box is labeled correctly and for that size box what does the cap look like?

Glad you are getting it straightened out.

The caps look like these, nothing special.

p1030646_19305.jpg

I bought them from a place I and some friends have bought from before, it's been around 60+ years, so it's legitimate. I just searched on the part number and they had some coming, and went ahead and bought them for like $8 each, thinking I wouldn't have to worry about lead type, etc, as they were the same as the originals. I buy from DK and Mouser all the time too, I just was kind of surprised that I could get the same caps as the originals, so I went for it. If for some reason they don't send the right ones, I'll do what I had planned to do in the first place and look for some around 4000MFD 63V or higher that are the same diameter. They could be 1" longer and still fit fine.

Last edited:
Put the part number in Google (MSCECEM50R3300E) = no results at all....

Where did you buy them ?

I just tried it and got no results either, but about 10 days ago, I did. I got them from Union Electronic Distributors. They have a poor website, to put it mildly. But then again, DK's isn't great on some browsers either.

"Made in China"
"Made in Japan"
:dunno:

Shady

I think that's because some of the remotes Panasonic uses come from either Japan or China. I saw it a couple of years ago when I bought a NOS remote for a Pana VCR I still used. That remote wasn't packaged at all like the ones I got a couple of days ago were. It was in a plastic caddy thing that I had to cut open, as most are now.

If you were able to order 'exact replacements' for 46 year old electrolytic capacitors they would be at best 'NOS' - but whatever they are, they would be too old to use - past their shelf life - by a mile. New 3300µF 50V capacitors are available of course but these days will be MUCH smaller.

A modest increase in voltage and capacitance will increase the size of the replacements, these increases will give you a fighting chance to make the replacements mountable in the stock (large) clamps.

Last edited:
It didn't say anything about NLA when I ordered them, it said they would ship on 6/11, and they did. Well, the remotes did. To be fair, they took the labels at their word, and so did I when I got the receiver apart to the point of being about ready to yank the old ones out.

Back
Top Bottom