Organ amp project ???

HomerJSimpson

Addicted Member
I got this for a song. I am wondering if anyone can tell me what model it is and if it has the ability to become a nice hi-fi amp? Has 2 12ax7 and 7591a. A pair of outout trannies and 2 larger trannies. No rectifier tube, baybe it is missing....

Wadda ya think...?

2gy8yh4.jpg

2a1c8l.jpg

1zgckr8.jpg

rsgb9f.jpg

Don't know what it is but I would be all over that like white on rice. I would sing the song as there is some nice iron there it seems. It would soon be a woofer amp.

mike

That's an odd Lowrey. All of them I've seen used 6L6 or 6V6 outputs, mounted on large vertical chassis on the back.

I see those types of lowrey amps on e-bay all the time. I think a dead give-a-way that it's a lowrey, is the second tone cab socket that says: "to Lowrey main".

A Gulbranson amplifier will not have a socket stamped: "connect to wurlitzer main".

Please, no offense intended to Sam, but before anyone shoots back about the first socket saying Leslie, Leslie was a universal speaker/tone cabinet that would connect to almost all brands of organs. I do know that Gulbranson had to get written permission from Don Leslie himself, to incorporate his leslie rotating speaker inside my Gulbranson organ. I remember reading this when my folks first got their Gulbranson (which is now mine) and wondering, who the hell is Don Leslie and his famous rotating speaker?

Last edited:
That's an odd Lowrey. All of them I've seen used 6L6 or 6V6 outputs, mounted on large vertical chassis on the back.

I believe those are "6L6" tubes in there, but they are the old Russian ones that used to be sold as 5881s. I had some in my guitar amp. No bottom end at all.

2 questions:

Should there be a rectifier tube? Can anyone tell from the underside wiring ?

Can it ba made into a nice stereo amp ?

It's uses diodes for rectification. The little silver top hat looking thingies are the diodes.

Can't see why it couldn't be converted into a stereo amp......it may require some circuit mods or changes, however.

Is the second big tranny an OT or a choke?

EDIT: Nevermind, I looked at it and saw the huge green wires coming out of it- likely a 6.3v tranny for the filaments of the tone generator section.

I believe those are "6L6" tubes in there, but they are the old Russian ones that used to be sold as 5881s. I had some in my guitar amp. No bottom end at all.

The stand-alone nature of that amp is unusual enough for a Lowrey. It looks like it was for something more like a Hammond with a tone wheel.

Can it be made into a nice stereo amp ?

Pin #2 on both 12AX7 tubes are the inputs. Pin #3 on all four output tubes, are the plate connections to the output transformers. You should then be able to determine which wires from the two output transformers are the speaker connections. Now, connect a pair of speakers, power it up and have a listen.

This is just a power amp so you will need a good preamp. If you don't have a preamp, a portable CD player will work using the headphone jack but you will have no tone controls, and the amp won't be able to be driven to its max capabilities.

The organ itself contained the power on/off switch but sinse you just have the amp, you are going to need to connect a power cord directly to the black wire and the black/red wire on the first power transformer to get it to power up.

As Thespeakerdude8 pointed out, the other transformer is the 6.3 volt supply for the tone generator.

Last edited:
OK, so I finally got around to testing this amp out. I was able to figure out all the connections and powered it up on the dim bulb and vaiac. And sure enough I got sound, and good sound too!!! Seems to be the full sound spectrum and both channels are equal. I am gonna make this a project and remove the unecessary wiring and tranny, some new connections and caps. Maybe even get a nice wood trim for it !!!

does anyone know what the pot is in the front? It seems to be hooked into the input. It has 3 settings. Is it some sort of hum adjudt? I noticed no difference in any of the settings. I would like to remove it, but will it mess uo the function of the amp ?

If it had no apparent effect, I think you would safe to remove it. Maybe try dis-connecting one wire at a time just to make sure no signal passes through it.

I just picked up this very same amp (not the exact amp pictured by Homerjsimpson but the same model). It has four 7591a tubes and the two 12ax7 tubes. It is pretty much over my head on how to turn this into a push-pull stereo but any advice on whether it is worth pursuing? The transformers are all very large, and I like the sound of 7591 amps, I just don't really have the expertise to do major work.

Best,

Jonas

Back
Top Bottom