Organ amp project ???

I am new around here, but just in case anybody still has/finds one of these, I have some relevant info:

First, there is another thread about this same chassis:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/lowrey-tube-amp-rectifier.611999/

(That thread was actually started after this one, but this thread has a more recent post, so I am continuing here...)

Now the "Meat":

I can confirm that it "has the ability to become a nice hi-fi amp". I just purchased one that someone (not the seller) has converted to a stereo power amp.

What has been done:

-- Semiconductor Rectifiers replaced with modern ones.
-- Re-cap'ed. Modern 500V electrolytics under the chassis.
-- Sovtek 7591XYZ's, (and, I assume, required mods, since it works, and didn't blow up)
-- Other organ stuff (including other transformer and connectors) removed
-- Holes capped with proper chassis plugs
-- RCA jacks added for input, and binding posts added for output
-- Nice, illuminated power switch
-- General cleaning, and perhaps other components replaced with modern

Whoever did it did a very nice, professional job. It looks very nice.

Sound: I've only run it for a few minutes (the seller says it has less than 10 hours on it since refurb), but it sounds very nice. With no volume or tone controls on it, it does not sound as nice as the HK A224 I recently recap'ed, but for what this amp is, it's great!
(I'm not bragging about my ability to solder in a few caps, the credit for the sound goes to Mr. Harman, and Mr. Kardon)

Pictures/more info if there is
I was just using the headset connector on my phone as an audio source/volume control. My phone has the Huawei "Histen" sound processing, but I did not even try that yet.

More, possibly relevant info:

I think a schematic is here:
http://www.captain-foldback.com/Leslie_sub/leslie_schematics.htm
(Click on Leslie 47)
I will attempt to confirm this is a correct schematic by doing a little "spot check reverse engineering".
EDIT: Above link does not seem to have a correct schematic for the relevant amplifier. I will reverse engineer a schematic, and post in the other thread linked to above. Schematic in work.

My plans for this unit:
Of course, it has no bottom. I will build either:
A Lexan bottom with "LRF technology" (little rubber feet)
-or-
Make it rack mount -- I doubt I will be ambitious enough to make a full rack mount enclosure, I'm just thinking of an aluminium base, necessary side braces, and 2 ears.

I may buy a Hi-Fi USB DAC/preamp for it.

Pictures/More Info if there is interest in this thread.

Last edited:
I just picked up this very same amp (not the exact amp pictured by Homerjsimpson but the same model). It has four 7591a tubes and the two 12ax7 tubes. It is pretty much over my head on how to turn this into a push-pull stereo but any advice on whether it is worth pursuing? The transformers are all very large, and I like the sound of 7591 amps, I just don't really have the expertise to do major work.

Best,

Jonas
Can you post pics ?

Back
Top Bottom