Original Infinity Modulus

Kingshead

Professor
Wondering how many members here are enjoying these great speakers, and for how long. If you are, what pieces do you have? I've been enjoying these speakers for more than two decades and still amazed at their performance. Purchased these new in 91, never considered a sub/sat system before. These were offered at such a great price it made me do a complete 180 on my speaker decision. Had to check an article I read in a magazine about these before I realized just how great the price was, went back the next day and bought them. I've never regretted the decision. I have the complete system not including the wall mount brackets, and the sub is second to none. How many subs on the market, even today have the user ability to adjust capacitance of the high pass filter to match the crossover to the power amps input impedance? Or to fine tune the crossover to your preference in this manner?

Mine are in high gloss black, anyone have them with the white finish? I've seen the "sats" in white but never the sub, did they even offer it in white?

Last edited:
They are nice. Seen them in real life but never heard them.
Do You have pictures of the sub too?

Cheers!

They are nice. Seen them in real life but never heard them.
Do You have pictures of the sub too?

Cheers!

The amp to the left is sitting on it in the pic. Will post better pics of the sub and control unit later. The KA 7300 is driving them now, but I've used Carver, Pioneer, Yamaha, McIntosh, and bi-amped with a pair of Dynaco amps. The set up originally sold for $3300 with stands. I've recently seen two subs sell for $300ea, and the sats for $168 for the pair. What a bargain, these are truly high end. Kept these over a pair of Sony SS-M3's, great speakers but not in the same league as even the sats alone. Calling them sats isn't really fair to these great little speakers, they work fantastic alone in a smaller room. I've done this and never felt I was missing anything.

Last edited:
Original Modulus

Hi,

I have both the black and the white set of Modulus sat and sub.:banana:

Unfortunately both of the subs are ill: the white one is having a problem with the servo circuit and the black one keeps oscillating randomly... Two different repairmen have checked them out but failed to come up with ways to cope with the problem! "Last" hope is a shop three hours drive from my home, they come highly recommended so I hope it will be worth the drive:scratch2:
Worst case is that I have to take parts from the both to come up with one working unit:tears:

I use the sat´s in my HT-setup paired with a Genelec sub and they are performing great!

Regards

Lansen

At one time I was looking into a replacement sub when I was without for a time. I found Rythmik's servo controlled subs were very close in specs and functionality but have never auditioned one. Hope you are able to get both up and running, these are truly wondrous speakers and deserve to be saved. I've never seen the sub in white, can you post some pics of your set up?

At one time I was looking into a replacement sub when I was without for a time. I found Rythmik's servo controlled subs were very close in specs and functionality but have never auditioned one. Hope you are able to get both up and running, these are truly wondrous speakers and deserve to be saved. I've never seen the sub in white, can you post some pics of your set up?

A white Modulus sub.

265258-infinity_modulus_subwoofer.jpg

Kingshead,

Since my subs are shredded into pieces I am not able to provide any pics of the white sub in complete...
I can post pics of the different parts including the chassis if that is of any interest.

Serialnumbers are as follows:
Black sub. MO1792, Woofer date 8-9-91, amplifier at the shop...
White sub: MO0351, Woofer date 5-1-90, amp, 12-12-90.

Regards

Lansen

Kingshead,

Since my subs are shredded into pieces I am not able to provide any pics of the white sub in complete...
I can post pics of the different parts including the chassis if that is of any interest.

Serialnumbers are as follows:
Black sub. MO1792, Woofer date 8-9-91, amplifier at the shop...
White sub: MO0351, Woofer date 5-1-90, amp, 12-12-90.

Regards

Lansen

Ya, not really. Hope you are able to get them up and running again soon. Looked at the Genelec subs, not the lookers the Modulus are but seemed to have VERY respectable specs. Definitely no slouches in the subterranean bass arena, how about bass articulation? I'm running a couple of Dayton subs in my other system, and while quite competent not even close to the same league as the Infinity. The Rythmik subs look very nice, even have the Grand Piano finish like the Infinity.

Pics of a 12" and a couple of 15" models.

F12SE.jpg

96fb194e_Rythmik6.jpeg

Last edited:
Yepp, the Rythmik subs looks really nice!

My Genelec 7070A has an easy task when it comes to performing in a lowlid H/T room! When the lights comes on the wife say´s: "where are the high gloss- kind of neat boxes that I am used to":D

The Genelec dig deep and has a very rapid response. The design is primarily for use in a studio invironment. It was actually a friend of mine that have his own recording studio that pointed me to the Genelecs. He was upgrading to a fully DSD controlled unit so the 7070 kind of drifted my way...

BUT, I still want my Modulus to fire up and perform in the best of ways! If you ever hear them perform you will never forget:music:

//Lansen

Continuing my obsession with all things associated with Infinity speakers, I found a pair of original Modulus satellites on eBay and bought them on a whim. They were kind of scuffed up, and didn't include the stands or the crossover or the subwoofer. But, Holy Cow! They sound very good; accurate and impressive.

They are clearly lacking in bass (as they are designed to work with the subwoofer), so I scrounged around and decided to pair them with my NHT MA-1 and SW2 subwoofer set up from the early 1990s (the same era as the Modulus). The NHT MA-1 is a crossover/subwoofer amp intended to be used with the NHT SuperZeros to make up a full system. I wanted to use the NHT bass subsystem with the Modulus satellites, but the SuperZero speakers were 8 ohms, and the Infinities are 4 ohms. This matters, because the MA-1 has a high-level input for an amplifier and it implements a passive high pass filter to send a signal out to the satellites. Being passive, it interacts with the impedance of the speakers. With the NHT SuperZeros, the crossover was 100 Hz, with the 4 ohm Infinity Modulus, it was 200 Hz. Clearly, this was not going to work. So I modified the MA-1 passive crossover by doubling the capacitor values so it would work with the 4 ohm Modulus satellites.

This is a very good sounding system, and I have been doing a lot of serious listening and have been generally very pleased. I'll be on the look out for an original Infinity Modulus subwoofer system. I'll bet that would sound fantastic.

(My RS1s are kind of visible on the sides of this photo.)

Infinity Modulus A.jpg

Last edited:
I have a pair of Modulus' in piano black with original Modulus stands that I found NIB on eBay. I looked around for a matching Modulus sub for a while, but ended up going with a Genesis G928 servo sub instead. The G928 is a great match, and it's gorgeous in rosewood, too. Bonus: the G928 was designed by Arnie Nudell.

I just picked up a pair from the original owner with stands. I have a PE 10 sub hoping that it will do well.

I just picked up a pair from the original owner with stands. I have a PE 10 sub hoping that it will do well.

I looked at these years ago on the bay and they weren’t to badly priced. There were some in my area and they are gone now. Probably for the best. I don’t need any more speakers lol

Let us know how you like them. I have a pair with the original servo subwoofer but without the stands. I think they sound very good.

I’m going to A/B them with my LS3/5A KEF B200 transmission line system. That should be fun.

Will do, I finally got an update from USPS.....sheeesh 6 days late so I won’t see the stands until Monday. I’ll have to look that LS3/5A combo up, sounds interesting.

Will do, I finally got an update from USPS.....sheeesh 6 days late so I won’t see the stands until Monday. I’ll have to look that LS3/5A combo up, sounds interesting.
The B200 transmission line woofers were custom made, along with the active crossover to allow bi-amping. It is very nice, but a bit of a problem to eventually get rid of.

I'm now the happy owner of 7.62's pair, and I must say, they are quite underwhelming. They don't come close to sounding like my magnepans do, or my renassaince 90s do, although they kick the hell out of my infintesimal IVs I like 'em, but am surprised by the shrunken down scale of their sound.

Pauljh, how do you like them in comparison to the mighty rs 1? I'm currently using them in tandem with a definitive supercube III, and that's a good combination.

(corrected version of Infintesimals)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom