Original Marantz Model 9 paired with later version

Chrisxo55441

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
i saw a pair of model 9's listed for sale, one is the first 500 made model without the tube shield and the other is the second version with the tube shield. i was told and read that the transformers were changed in the second version ( correct me if that is wrong). i guess it made me wonder if there is any down side or noticeable audio difference to pairing them together. Anybody ever compared them? or even the later reissue with the original.

There may be a third version that was brought out by "Superscope" who had purchased Marantz from Saul Marantz and who had designed and built the receivers-2270 and so forth.

Early design was intended to have an 8th tube... hence the additional metal cover near the tubes....

If I remember correctly the first outputs transformers were 3rd party made...and then they brought them in house? Or was it the other way around....

Early design was intended to have an 8th tube
yes @Bryan12v had a prototype one with the extra tube that he got at Sid Smiths estate sale or from his wife. he sold it shortly after. I have a pair from 1962 that are the original first 500 design. im just wondering if there is any real audio difference between them and the later ones, and if pairing them together makes any difference.

Early design was intended to have an 8th tube... hence the additional metal cover near the tubes....

If I remember correctly the first outputs transformers were 3rd party made...and then they brought them in house? Or was it the other way around....
Afaik, Sid brought the 8B and 9 opt mfgring in-house to oversee production.

Last edited:
i just saw an ad for another pair of 9's that were different versions it seems to be more common then i would have guessed. Now im wondering how they got that way, people buying just one for mono when they were new maybe and then later selling it to someone who was trying to make a pair and didnt know or didnt care that they were different, im not sure i would have knowingly bought a pair like that.

here is the pic from the pair i saw today
s-l1600.jpg

Now im wondering how they got that way,

One possibility...these are monoblocks so of course you need two for stereo. If one of the pair got damaged, cosmetically or electrically, you would only have to buy 1 (this is back in the day when that was easy). If that happened during the switch you would have your scenario.

fwiw, mine have the shields and the 'red' toggle for triode. I notice that your example without the shield has a 'black' one.

I notice that your example without the shield has a 'black' one.

My early models without shields have a red toggle as well. Great now I will be checking toggle colors everytime I see one wondering if they came with both or if it's an after market one :confused:

Remember that was the early days of stereo... people often started with mono systems and added a second channel....

Not that I am that old... my first system was in the late 70’s as a teen...

A buddy of mine that has modern tube gear asked me how much the 9s weight.... I said 60 pounds...

He asked “ For what , the pair?”

Nope each.... then the phone went silent as he realized that “it ain’t worth a crap, if it don’t weight a ton....” :)

A buddy of mine that has modern tube gear asked me how much the 9s weight.... I said 60 pounds...

He asked “ For what , the pair?”

Nope each.... then the phone went silent as he realized that “it ain’t worth a crap, if it don’t weight a ton....” :)
Not switch mode then?:naughty:

The Model 9 was the first Marantz mono amp designed to be used in pairs. The very first "monoblock". The Models 2 & 5 were introduced and sold during the mono era and simply referred to as "amplifiers". The Model 9 was dubbed a "single channel amplifier".

It was a bold move by the company at a time when pretty much all manufacturers were introducing stereo amplifiers. It was said the company was going against the trend. It was certainly exotic and even esoteric back then to introduce an expensive mono amplifier designed to be used in pairs.

Very very few of them were bought for mono only systems. It was understood that if money was no object to you, then you would go stereo all the way. The industrial version in gray may have been used in singles, who knows....

As for the original question, it's certainly strange to see these amps mismatched like that. It could have been the dealer, who did this unknowingly. Mixing old and new stock. These were not big sellers due to their high price and had to be custom ordered. Perhaps they were leftover demos or something...

The Model 9 was the first Marantz mono amp designed to be used in pairs. The very first "monoblock". The Models 2 & 5 were introduced and sold during the mono era and simply referred to as "amplifiers". The Model 9 was dubbed a "single channel amplifier".

It was a bold move by the company at a time when pretty much all manufacturers were introducing stereo amplifiers. It was said the company was going against the trend. It was certainly exotic and even esoteric back then to introduce an expensive mono amplifier designed to be used in pairs.

Very very few of them were bought for mono only systems. It was understood that if money was no object to you, then you would go stereo all the way. The industrial version in gray may have been used in singles, who knows....

As for the original question, it's certainly strange to see these amps mismatched like that. It could have been the dealer, who did this unknowingly. Mixing old and new stock. These were not big sellers due to their high price and had to be custom ordered. Perhaps they were leftover demos or something...
A pair cost more than the competetive McIntosh MC275.

Since most of the mismatched sets I've seen involve the earliest units without the tube shield, another possibility is that these pairs were formed when center channel systems became less popular among high dollar customers.

Perhaps the custom installers of the day, found themselves with a few extra mono amps when customers abandoned three channel reproduction. Only the wealthy and well connected enthusiast of the day had access to true three channel stereo tapes...

Last edited:
Since most of the mismatched sets I've seen involve the earliest units without the tube shield, another possibility is that these pairs were formed when three channel stereo systems became less popular among high dollar customers and dealers with custom installing services were left with surplus single mono units on hand.
Klipsch was an advocate of center-fill, which was advisable for the corner horns. The power of model 9 into Klipschhorns in a home would be spl wretched excess, a model 8 with a model 5 for center fill would be more than adequate in all respects, plus.

Klipsch was an advocate of center-fill, which was advisable for the corner horns. The power of model 9 into Klipschhorns in a home would be spl wretched excess, a model 8 with a model 5 for center fill would be more than adequate in all respects, plus.

The center-fill or phantom center channel could be wired out of a pair of Model 9's as indicated in the manual:

Capture.JPG

However, record executives, engineers and recording artists often had access to true three channel recordings played back on professional Ampex or Presto tape machines. For those, another dedicated Model 9 would be required for center channel duty.

As for the original question

you've worked on or have been around a few of these i believe, do you think there is any noticeable audio difference between the versions? or to little that pairing them together doesn't really matter.

you've worked on or have been around a few of these i believe, do you think there is any noticeable audio difference between the versions? or to little that pairing them together doesn't really matter.

There should be little difference sonically between them. However, I'd like them to be as close as possible in serial numbers since the parts used will be similar, and the listening test done at the factory would be more relevant.

Just wondering...are you considering owning two pairs of these?

No just keeping an eye on which way prices are going. I was trying to buy a pair 2-3 years ago for $16000 but the deal fell through and that seemed to be the price then. I bought mine last year NM condition I would say for $13500 and they are selling for that or less now. I think eventually I will try to sell the 9's and keep my 8B I could be happy with just that.

Back
Top Bottom