Orphan Amp needs ID'ing

jeffn

Mid-Fi Crisis
I've seen this amp at a junk shop for ages. The guy had $95 on it !
It had been there so long and I was so intrigued as to its heritage I offered him $20 this arvo and he accepted. Even after taking it apart there isn't much clue to its maker........ it has sanyo output transistors but that doesn't mean too much.

I will attach photos for your reckoning.

(oh, and it works fine....... not many watts by the feel of things though).

Some specific questions are:
what is the MIC input setting X-Tal mean?
There is another swith on the back labelled DFC witha slide switch from 1 to 2. it seems to make it a bit louder or bassier maybe......?? Not sure what it does .......

I am going to take an overdue DVDback..... i expect an answer when i get back :D

oh....... it says CE-6000 Solid State on the front. A patch of glue may be where the manufacturers name used to be attached.

Attachments

• P8220093.JPG
    P8220093.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 257
  • P8220097.JPG
    P8220097.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 203
  • P8220099.JPG
    P8220099.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 172
  • P8220084.JPG
    P8220084.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 185
  • P8220008.JPG
    P8220008.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
General Electric?

Just a wild guess, by the little logo that seems to be a G and E but who knows...

jeffn said:
Some specific questions are:
what is the MIC input setting X-Tal mean?

X-TAL and MAG are settings only for the phono input: a magnetic cartridge and a crystal one.

It has a pair of microphone inputs too, that have nothing to do with that switch. It actually seems quite complete from a switches and knobs point of view.

I suspect that CE is an OEM manufacturer, in other words, if you buy enough of them, CE would put any name you want on the front.

Thanks for the guidance......... makes me wonder how many manufacturers have risen from and returned to the dust over the years.

I was surprised that with the might of AUDIOKARMA that it wasn't recognised. (secretly hoping it was going to be the One remaining prototype of a rare and treasured gem of an amplifier.)..........

Manfromporlock's reference to the Phodis brand may be a clue.......I am from Australia so the Phodis from New Zealand is down this part of the world.......

Found this on an italian website and translated it in Bablefish....... worth it if only for laughs...... original at http://cgi.ebay.it/AMPLIFICATORE-SH...itemZ9707233289QQcategoryZ39783QQcmdZViewItem

Never heard of a Shakard Cactus....... can't say it sounds too appertising either....

SCHAKARD CACTUS

SPLENDID COPY OF THE SCHAKARD MODEL CACTUS CE-6000

AMPLIFIER SOLID BEEN PERFECT IN ALL

WORKING TO THE 100% AND AESTHETICALLY MUCH BEAUTIFUL ONE

INCOMES FOR AUX TUNER TAPE TAPE HIGH INPEDENZA And QUITE TWO RECORD PLAYER TWO INCOMES FOR MICROPHONES WITH SELECTOR X-TALK TWO ESCAPES FOR LOUDSPEAKERS MAIN And EXT FUSES OF PROTECTION On the INCOME And the CHANNELS

On The FRONTAL PANEL TWO LARGE GRIP HANDLES FOR The CONTROL Of the TONES FIND PLACE And VOLUME A SELECTOR FOR I LISTEN IN NORMAL REV. L R And L+R SELECTOR FOR The INCOMES SELECTOR TAPE-MONITOR FILTERS FOR UPS AND DOWNS SELECTOR FOR the EXCLUSION Of TONES DELETTORE LOUDNESS CONTROL FOR UPS AND DOWNS SELECTOR SPEAKER OFF MAIN EXT And MAIN+EXT TWO V-METER OF PEAK To POINTERS!!!!!

E' a WONDERFUL AMPLIFIER WITH the PIECE OF FURNITURE IN PERFECT WOOD (only a pair of graffietti superficial) and ONE CIRCUITAZIONE Of OTHER FINAL TIMES TOSHIBA a LARGE CONDENSER OF FILTER and a LOCAL P0WER SOURCE WITH CAP TYPE THAT ONE Of the VALVOLARI!!!!!

NOT THERE ARE SIGNS OF MANOMISSIONI IN THE ELECTRONIC ONES SEEMS ALL AS SOON AS EXITED FROM THE FACTORY!!!!

WONDERFUL The E' SOUND The NO MOST LIMPID DISTORTION ALSO TO HIGH VOLUMES PREPUTTING THAT I HAVE TESTED It WITH TWO CASES WITH CONES And TWEETER IREL IN DEALT CARDBOARD

A SPECIAL SOUND.....

...... Of OTHER TIMES!!!!!

N.B. The PIECE IN E' ISSUE a RARE PIECE THEREFORE IN CASE DID NOT HAVE TO CATCH UP an ADEQUATE FIGURE (over the 100,00 euri) IS RESERVED TO CLOSE the AUCTION!!!!!

FOR OTHER INFORMATION Or PROPOSALS YOU CONTACT To ME!!!!!

ok, I will let this thread die after this post........... inside this nameless amp it has ALPS pots and the various switches are "Mutsumi Elec. Co"..............

No clues?

ok........ off to bed........nearly midnight here........ goodnight!

Heathkit? Donno, but the "look" of it is sure familiar.

Just noticed the CE 6000, baffled. :scratch2:

Last edited:
I am reading this forum 11 years after it has been opened. May be you are still interested in having confirmation about this subject.
I am the owner of the same Amplifier. It is a Shakard Cactus CE 6000. I bought it in the early '70. Probably in the 1973. It is still working. I just needed to clean the electronics few times. Of course there are better amplifiers on the market but I was 14yo and this was my first HiFi amplifier and it was the only one with 20 + 20 watts RMS and many controls for a good price.

I am reading this forum 11 years after it has been opened. May be you are still interested in having confirmation about this subject.
I am the owner of the same Amplifier. It is a Shakard Cactus CE 6000. I bought it in the early '70. Probably in the 1973. It is still working. I just needed to clean the electronics few times. Of course there are better amplifiers on the market but I was 14yo and this was my first HiFi amplifier and it was the only one with 20 + 20 watts RMS and many controls for a good price.
A collegae of mine needs a diagram of this amplifier. Reason is, 4 resistors burned and no marks left.
The resistors are black and located above the grey 1000uf capacitors.
Any help is welcome.
Tks in advance.

Wow just noticed this thread alive again. I no longer have that amp but think of it now and then.

This one also was my first hifi amplifier, in 1972.
Aluminium silver/black front panel, VU meters, wooden enclosure and simply good sound with efficient speakers.
It was the only good looking hifi amplifier that I could afford.
Solid state, all Germanium devices.

Back
Top Bottom