Ortofon 2M Red/Ortofon OM 10 Super/Nagaoka MP-110, what is your recommendation?

What would be your choice?

• Ortofon 2M Red

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Ortofon OM 10 Super

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Nagaoka MP-110

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

djiga

Hello everyone, i want to upgrade my turntable AKAI AP-307 (with AT-95E cartridge at the moment). I hope you can help me with your suggestions and experiences with these 3 cartridges. My record collection goes from easy listening, swing jazz, disco/funk, pop to hard/heavy metal. I cannot say i am not satisfied with AT-95E (despite little inner groove distortion), but i want to try something a little bit better and more expencive.
You can give just a vote, but i would like to hear some explanation for your choice.
Thanks.

All of the cartridges you have listed are essentially ''entry-level'' models,and really won't be much of an improvent or provide much of a difference over what you have now. Kind of a ''six of one,half dozen of the other'' scenario.

Personally I am a fan of the Ortofon Super OM and also the 2M series. I would recommend the Super OM-20 or the 2M Blue as a step up over your present cartridge.

The great thing is that the OM series uses the same stylus ''body'',but allows you to go up through the entire range of available styli while retaining the exact same body.

I like the MP 110 best in that list. Especially for the MP 200 stylus upgrade path. That gets you a boron cantilever and a nice stone for very reasonable cost.

For Ortofon, I prefer the OM 10/20 over the Red/Blue.

I think I'd choose the one that's the best compliance match when choosing between the two ortofon lines. :)

Yeah, Super OM cartridge + an OM20.

The OM10 sounded really thin to me. I upgraded to an OM40 pretty quickly.

The om line was made for higher compliance carts vs the 2m, and they are basically the same cart the prior version of the line was the vms line. I'd go with the om line if it's a better arm match and then go with a Jico om30, which is less than 75 and will give slightly more detail.

never liked a ortofon, the red is not even close to the mp110, the red sounds budget, the Nag sounds like the music should., and gives a taste of a what a good cart can do, ortofon is ok if you have not tried anything else in that price range.

I think the Ortofons need a little more critical set up than many people think for them to really show what they can do.

Back
Top Bottom