Ortofon 2M Red vs. Sumiko Bluepoint No.2

I just googled it to see the price:
It would be fairer to compare it to the 2M Blue
But in your case - just fit it on and try it out..
Enjoy!

True, sometimes, but if it's a "vs." comparison, it's not particularly fair to the Red. But that's ok, I always like to read peoples' impressions of cartridges, and comparisons to others, regardless of price.

Well he does make a valid point tho...last night I listened to a Rega P-3 with the Rega cart Elys 2 and that thing sounded horrible. I think that Cart goes for about $300. The 2MRed at $100 just out performed it all the way.

Because, as stated in the OP, I own them both. The Red is installed on a H-K T30C. The Bluepoint is on the shelf (displaced by an EVO III). Based on the input, am going to swap out the Red for the Bluepoint No. 2.

Well kindly let me know what you think....if it a fair comparison .

Installed the Bluepoint No. 2 on the H-K today. A definite step up in sound quality.......but as someone said in an earlier post, it should be. Costs 4X as much as the 2M Red.

Well I guess I got my answer....thank you sir.

Blue Point 4x price of 2M red??
I looked it up and it was about 2X hence my comment about a fairer
comparison with a 2M Blue
So I might have been wrong there!??

I never especially liked the Elys carts - somehow didn't do it for me on any level!
Rega P3 can sound great however with a differenct cart.

Looks like this thread has concluded. I have experience with both carts and yes, the Red is great but not on the same level as the BP. However the Red has nice high end extension which is the usual complaint regarding the BP.

Overall, the BP's midrange is gorgeous and full, the Red simply cannot touch it. The BP also tracks much much better.

I used my BP until the cantilever finally gave out. I still have it and perhaps will send it in for a replacement stylus. RIP.

Looks like this thread has concluded. I have experience with both carts and yes, the Red is great but not on the same level as the BP. However the Red has nice high end extension which is the usual complaint regarding the BP.

Overall, the BP's midrange is gorgeous and full, the Red simply cannot touch it. The BP also tracks much much better.

I used my BP until the cantilever finally gave out. I still have it and perhaps will send it in for a replacement stylus. RIP.

Have you heard the 2MBronze or Black? Both are candidates for my next cart along with a Dynavector.

The Black would be great I am sure!
But - what MC might compare pricewise and which would I prefer.....?
I have mostly always had MC's
The Blue is a mixed bag - I mostly love it for it's clarity, detail and presision.
However - mixed with my Gyrodec I wonder if it is a little lightweight....?
Deep bass is all there - but it's almost like there is a slight suckout 100 - 300 HZ
and a boost around 30Hz.... Not sure - still running it in.

The Black would be great I am sure!
But - what MC might compare pricewise and which would I prefer.....?
I have mostly always had MC's
The Blue is a mixed bag - I mostly love it for it's clarity, detail and presision.
However - mixed with my Gyrodec I wonder if it is a little lightweight....?
Deep bass is all there - but it's almost like there is a slight suckout 100 - 300 HZ
and a boost around 30Hz.... Not sure - still running it in.

I can get a good deal from my dealer on the black, but I assume I would still pay $500 for it. So I think I can get the Bronze for $300....have you considered the Bronze?

I can get a good deal from my dealer on the black, but I assume I would still pay $500 for it. So I think I can get the Bronze for $300....have you considered the Bronze?
Me??
No I am in no position right now.
I would have got a Rondo Blue or Bronze if I could afford it.:music:
It was a compromise - turntable in a little less general use ~
(although you wouldn't think so just now!!!) Mostly got this cart
for transfering Records to CD - some old records are mellow with extra
mid/upper bass. For this, the 2M blue is a great counter.
I only seem to be trouble with lean recordings - some old records had severe
bass reduction ( I knew a sound eng. years back who was horrified when the
cut all his bass from 90 hz down on a pressing).
Good recordings sound great!
So - in reality the only prob are weak or lean recordings...
I guess I will live with that!
:thmbsp:

Last edited:
Because, as stated in the OP, I own them both. The Red is installed on a H-K T30C. The Bluepoint is on the shelf (displaced by an EVO III). Based on the input, am going to swap out the Red for the Bluepoint No. 2.

Sorry to resurrect a really old thread. I have a BP No2 in my Pro-ject RM5 se. I'm thinking of upgrading to the EVO III. can you please comment on what you noticed in your upgrade? Is it enough of an improvement? Or, do I need to go up to the blackbird to really hear a difference?

Thanks!

Sorry to resurrect a really old thread. I have a BP No2 in my Pro-ject RM5 se. I'm thinking of upgrading to the EVO III. can you please comment on what you noticed in your upgrade? Is it enough of an improvement? Or, do I need to go up to the blackbird to really hear a difference?

Thanks!

huh blast from the past.

I have a Blackbird on my RM5 se now, and have for about 2 years. I've felt no need to change a thing once I heard it.

Thanks!

This change was made so long ago I can no longer comment on audible differences. Sorry.

My thing with the 2M Blue was all down to tracking angle - my RB300 was tipping downhill in short - now have a Techno Arm and it is level and the sound is nicely balanced and detailed
The 2M Red is a rougher version than the Blue but good for the price - I like the Black the best but couldn't afford or justify the fine level of difference

Back
Top Bottom