Raphaz

Anybody knows of a good quality substitute for the Ortofon OM-30 or OM-20 stylus?
Trying to upgrade the needle that originally came with the Concord Pro S – I'd like to get more detail, wider soundstage, more clarity... (it's for a Technics TT).

Any experiences in terms of reliability and quality (how close to the original Ortofons) with Jico?
I also came across cheaper versions (see picture) on LP Gear or LP Tunes websites (looks cheap, probably is...). Any of you tried one of these?
- Any other stylus suggestions? I'd like to keep it under $130.00 if possible.

How big is the difference btw. the OM-30 and the OM-20 anyway?

Thank you!

There is a biG difference in detail. Try the Jico om30, Lp gear om 30 or oem. I've used the pfanstiehl as well with good results but you'll have to add slightly more weight until it breaks in. The Jico has more in the upper and than the oem as does the Lp gear.

The concorde is a dj cartridge so there's a slight difference in them vs the om and super om series. I actually like brighter carts so I preferred the Jico over oem for the 20 and 30.

A Jico Stylus 30 would get you close to a real Stylus 20 from Ortofon for a good price. Some of my repair customers had them (or EVG Japan) on their cartridges. The ones I have had experience with were reasonably good. LPGear/LPTunes is now the USA distributor for Jico styli by the way.

Anybody knows of a good quality substitute for the Ortofon OM-30 or OM-20 stylus?
Trying to upgrade the needle that originally came with the Concord Pro S – I'd like to get more detail, wider soundstage, more clarity... (it's for a Technics TT).

Any experiences in terms of reliability and quality (how close to the original Ortofons) with Jico?
I also came across cheaper versions (see picture) on LP Gear or LP Tunes websites (looks cheap, probably is...). Any of you tried one of these?
- Any other stylus suggestions? I'd like to keep it under $130.00 if possible.

How big is the difference btw. the OM-30 and the OM-20 anyway?

Thank you!

Ortofon OM 20 - Nude Elliptical

Ortofon OM 30 - Nude Fine Lin
https://www.ortofon.com/om-series-p-550

Alternative - Vivid line stylus ($129.00 USD)
https://www.lpgear.com/product/ORTSOM30.html :music:

I find the difference between the (OEM) OM20 and the OM30 stylus to be night and day,with the OM30 being sonically the best ''value for money'' in the range. While the OM40 may be the highest in the foodchain and price range,it can be very difficult to set up, and is extremely unforgiving of less than perfect recordings or vinyl quality.

Frankly,the OEM stylus is still available,and the OM20&30 is a nude,unlike the aftermarket replacements.If you can afford it,I would recommend the original,with the nod to the OM30.

The Concorde Stylus will not work. There is a notch in the stylus that prevents it from going on the OM 10, 20 or 30 cartridge. There is also a difference in the distance the cantilever goes inside the cartridge body.

The Concorde Stylus will not work. There is a notch in the stylus that prevents it from going on the OM 10, 20 or 30 cartridge. There is also a difference in the distance the cantilever goes inside the cartridge body.
Does Jico also do the O'fon Digitrac T4-P stylii?

In my experience, the current numbered Ortofon styli fit the current OM, OMP, TM, and Concorde bodies. The numbered styli were a little different for the LM and the early Concordes. JICO does not appear to make Digitrac styli, but the numbered OM styli will work on Digitrac bodies. The Digitrac styli will fit on the OM and Concordes after trimming some plastic off the stylus.

Back
Top Bottom