Ortofon Omega

mrr1

Just Analog
Anyone use one and have some opinions? Been using it for a few days now and I kinda like it. Very nice low budget cart. Smooth low end and not overly bright sounding. Price was right at A****n. :thmbsp:

Yes, very good budget cartridge. Can be upgraded by stylus replacement all the way to an OM 40. Good bargain. I like them for cheapies.

It's one of my favorite inexpensive carts. I like it a lot, but think the review that Chicks linked to is a bit hyperbolic ...

I like this cartridge because it has a nice balanced sound (i.e., not too much emphasis to the highs or lows) the details of the music are there. I find the highs more to my liking than some of the AT carts I've compared it to such as the ATE90-92.

Last edited:
Wow, 30 bucks. (Very, very good user reviews everywhere they sell them)
I don't understand why it doesn't seem to be for sale here in Europe? :dunno:
Ah well, the Ortofon Archive is pretty cheap (and pretty d#mn good actually) over here..

If I could find it here I'd definitely give it a try!

Last edited:
G'day all, that linked review is interesting. However I don't agree with his general overhang set up guidelines though. Regards, Felix aka catman.

It is an OM generator renamed....

You want to know its potential - read any reviews for OM5, OM10, OM20, OM30, OM40 cartridges...

The difference is all in the stylus.

The Arkiv and Omega styli are two more variations.

The Arkiv and Omega tend towards lower compliance and therefore match better with mid-mass arms, where the OM20 and up tend towards high compliance and are happier with lighter arms.

So you can take your Omega and make it into an OM40 with a Stylus40 from Ortofon.

You can even make it a Hybrid and fit a Digitrak 300SE stylus (same as an OM30 made by Ortofon under another brand name) - but you will need to do some very very minor plastic surgery (snip off a little tab that stops it seating properly).

Good cartridge on its own - lots of options too

bye for now

David

Just to add to this:
I called Ortofon to see about replacement styli for the Omega. They told me they had considered offering replacement styli, but given the low cost, they decided it was not cost effective for them.

They also reported that yes indeed OM styli will fit on the Omega body.

It's often overlooked when budget cartridges are being recommended, and even as a body only, it's often cheaper/quicker than trying to get a 5E with a busted stylus on eBay.

I'm happy with it on my Lab440. It tracks well and sounds pretty damn good to my ears. Can't beat the price too.

I was astonished to find that both Pfan and Jico offerings are quite good. Try one; the risk is small.

needlestein,

I didn't discover the cartridge either. Some of my repair customers were ahead of me. They wanted these installed on turntables. And I loved how they performed for them. And when I needed a new cartridge, it was natural for me to choose one. And I have not been disappointed. A bargain which amazes me about the performance.

Was given a new omega by a buddy and it was actually nice sounded pretty great for the money... I didn't notice a improvement between the omega and om10 really... I really dig the omega and om10....

When I first started doing cartridge installs on repairs, I bought a few Omegas and was underwhelmed (I've been underwhelmed by Ortofons in general). Interestingly enough, one of my customers brought their table back for an adjustment and the thing sounds much better than I remember. Maybe it just needed some break-in on the suspension.

The Omega stylus sounds better to my ears than the OEM OM5E or the OM10. I think the Pfanstiehl 4541-DE beats them too.

Im looking for one now. I heard the AT 5265CN is also a good inexpensive cart. Now im leaning towards the Ortofon Omega.
I've recently purchased and installed both. The CN5625AL is a little brighter than the the Ortofon Omega. I like both, both very good for the $$$ but in initial testing I like the Omega better. But as always, to each their own. These are just my opinions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom