Ortofon Quintet Red

ScooterMcTav

I know less than I think
Hi All,

Just picked up a very slightly used Ortofon Quintet Red cartridge recently, and wanted to pass on some information for those who might be considering this as an entry-level moving coil cartridge. Although there is some information online, I thought sharing my impressions may have value for others.

My instinctive thought is to write my review for someone who already has used a better MM cartridge (i.e. Shure M97xe, Grado Green), and who is looking for that next step up in vinyl sound.

First of all, this is a mid mass cartridge, and Ortofon provides an excellent chart for matching to your tone arm, based on weight. I put the cartridge on a Dual 1249, which is at the lower end of recommended mass for the cartridge (16g) but did use a heavier sled to get the arm mass up. This necessitated attaching some weight to the arm's counterbalance, as the heavy sled/cartridge combo exceeded what could be accommodated by the counterbalance.

It has two screw holes in the top of the cartridge, and is not bolt-through which made mounting easy. Its square profile also made the cartridge easy to align. However, I did note that this is a tall cartridge, and sat in a very neutral position on the Dual. I have occasionally needed to play with mats of varying thickness to get the VTA correct on the 1249, so this was a treat. Tracking was set to 2.3g.

First off, I played my aged copy of Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" which has some warping on the outside, and the cartridge tracked as well as anything I've used. Compared to my Shure M97xe, bass was reduced, but was also tightened up. Vocals gained some presence while losing some graininess, while HF frequency was superb, with less roll-off, better definition, and sharper clarity than the Shure. Compared to my Grado Green, low frequencies were better defined, while high frequencies were sharpened. The midrange differences were interesting, as the Ortofon had a bit less warmth, but much better space and air.

Next was a fairly well-worn copy of Def Leppard's "High and Dry". I find this recording to be very pushy and harsh in the mids, something common between the various formats I have it in. With some cartridges (i.e. an AT-10), this album is almost unlistenable. With the Ortofon, the recording suffered somewhat, as a "warmer" cartridge like the Shure M97xe softens this harshness. That being said, the Ortofon clearly extracted more detail, even if it somewhat detracted from the overall presentation of the music.

Lastly was a pristine copy of the Monks “Bad Habits”. A great send-up of punk music by a bunch of less-than-punk musicians, the album has clean and sparse production, and a great 80s new wave vibe to it. The Ortofon clearly extracted more detail again, but did so without trending towards analytical. In fact, it was one of the most honest and balanced presentations I have heard of the album. In comparison, the Grado’s presentation seemed dull, while the Shure’s seemed muddy.

So in summation, this cartridge represents a clear step up from a “good” MM cartridge. It resolved much more detail than my M97xe and Grado Green, especially up top, where cymbals received sharpness and clarity, and in the mids, where vocals gained better presence and focus.

Like other Ortofons I have used, it’s bass isn’t as full or round as some other bass-friendly cartridges. However, the bass it delivers is balanced, tonally defined, and in no way boomy or thumpy.

General presentation was neutral and balanced, meaning this cartridge would make an excellent all-rounder for someone wanting to try a step up to LOMCs. Considering it’s affordablity, it also represents an excellent buy for the new or reborn vinyl enthusiast who is looking for a significant step up in sound without breaking the bank.

One one final note, this was used in my secondary system with a modest Yamaha AX-400u integrated with on-board MC phono stage, and Wharfedale Diamond 10.6 speakers. Based on its performance in this modest system, I am curious as to how it would sound hooked to my Musical Fidelity a3.2 with my Monitor Audio Silver 6, or possibly my Jolida tube amp paired with my Smaller Advents.

It is nice to see some discussion on a cartridge from Ortofon's Quintet MC series. The entire series has mid-range compliance so they will work with lots of tonearms. One way to deal with the higher price is to buy used from a trusted seller. That is how I got my low-hour Quintet Bronze.

Just as a follow up, I was playing with a Dual 1216 and a Sony PS-3300 DD I picked up off of a local classified site for $20 yesterday, so ended up doing an additional head-to-head.

First off, the Sony needs some adjustment - the off switch from returning the arm is not working, and it is running fast, even when the pitch control is set to minimum. Hopefully will find some time to fiddle with it this weekend.

However, on the DD table, the QRed sounded duller than I had remembered it from the 1249. Not sure why the dynamics were a bit more muted, so the RCA jacks may need some attention. Would be strange for a DD to "dull" the sound, but I've seen stranger things.

Then I thought I'd try it on an idler, and hooked up my Dual 1216. Not a top-end table by any definition, but the very low idler rumble it had with a Grado Green on it became overpowering with the MC. I would guess this would make logical sense with the additional boost the signal receives.

So I went back to the Dual 1249, and did a quick A/B with my Shure M97xe.

First up was the track "Your Latest Trick" from side 1 of Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms". With the M97xe, it was good, actually better than I had remembered. With the QRed, is was as noted earlier, both better on the top and bottom ends. Is the QRed worth the ~$180 difference between it and the M97xe? For a vinyl enthusiast, yes. For a casual vinyl listener, I'm not so sure the value was there. Admittedly, BIA is the type of album that can make almost any gear sound better than it is.

Next up was Krokus "The Blitz", an extremely fun and slick Bruce Fairbain-produced 80's anachronism. From their cover of "Ballroom Blitz", to the excellent down tempo rocker "Our Love", this album is full of 80's goodness, and mid quality production. Here the QRed distinguished itself much better, with a way less congested mid, much more defined bass, and a cleaner top end. After listening to this album, it would be easier to make the $180 argument for the QRed over the M97xe. Although the top end definition was very welcome, the bass was really where the Red shone, as it remained tuneful and composed in areas where the Shure got sloppy.

I also discovered if you wanted to re-case or pot this cartridge, the body separates surprisingly easy. No cutting open a DL-103 here - just pop it off.

If I can get the Sony DD working properly this weekend, I'll team it up with the QRed, my Musical Fidelity a3.2, and my MA Silver 6 to see what it can do when the gear goes more upscale. Stay tuned.

Wanted to check back in with a longer term listening test. Tonight’s menu was:

Bill Evans Trio - Live at the Village Vanguard side 2
Boston- Don’t Look Back side 1
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms side 1
Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet side 1

Disc turner is my overhauled Dual 1249, signal was fed into a Musical Fidelity a3.2 using its MC phono section. Speakers are Wharfedale Diamond 10.6, and a Realistic 31-2010 eq was used to boost the sub 100hz frequencies by 2-6db.

In short, this is a very honest and satisfying cartridge. The clarity of the music was excellent, with no obvious hot or cool frequencies. The mids were clean, and although not a lifelike as my DL-103s, they never became overbearing or had glare. Bass was tight and precise, while the top end was clear.

The Boston disc is well worn, yet surface noises and pops were minimal. The Bill Evans disk was only on its second play, and it sounded as good as could be expected.

Still very happy with my purchase, and do think this cartridge makes a great entry point into LOMC, especially for those with medium mass tonearms who can’t run a heavier cart like a DL-103.

QBlue owner here- many similar insights with the addition of a FULL and tight rhythm section from bass/bass drum to bongos and cymbals, like Gloria Stephan said "The rythym is gonna get you" with this cart. Furthermore acoustic guitar/piano/
Female vocal combo's really shine. I like it because it is durable as well. 2.3-2.7g vta indicates the strength of the suspension, and it is built like a rock, more like a wall, given its shape. Perfect for a newer guy like me (i.e. Don't have the instincts or handling skills developed yet/still make mistakes.) it's been mishandled once or twice yet still sings. I agree a used version at a reasonable price is a great entry into mc world for analogue lovers

QBlue owner here- many similar insights with the addition of a FULL and tight rhythm section from bass/bass drum to bongos and cymbals, like Gloria Stephan said "The rythym is gonna get you" with this cart. Furthermore acoustic guitar/piano/

Female vocal combo's really shine. I like it because it is durable as well. 2.3-2.7g vta indicates the strength of the suspension, and it is built like a rock, more like a wall, given its shape.

Perfect for a newer guy like me (i.e. Don't have the instincts or handling skills developed yet/still make mistakes.) it's been mishandled once or twice yet still sings. I agree a used version at a reasonable price is a great entry into mc world for analogue lovers

FYI

Ortofon lists the

Tracking force range - 2.1-2.5 g (21-25 mN)
Tracking force recommended - 2.3 g (23 mN)
https://www.ortofon.com/mc-quintet-blue-p-547-n-1579 :music:

Don't know that I would worry about .2g over recommended tracking force much more than resetting it and moving on with life.

I like the original review of the Q Red. Although it is compared to some damn near entry level cartridges, they are ones that are always mentioned when someone wants to put a nail on the end of a tonearm. (Hey it's my words for stuff, don't let it bother you, just roll with it).

When Tom Clone was deciding on cartridges after getting his first turntable he started with a Shure V15 II SAS and then got an AT 440MLa but was missing something. He borrowed my Ortofon MC-20. Initially he was very happy with the overall improvements in sound except the bass. He went through the same evaluation of the sound that Scooter did and came to the same answer. There was less overall bass but it was more accurate and better defined. The clarity through the range sold him on the MC and he got a Benz Ace and promptly decided it was damaged. We listened to it, our group, and decided he just did care for the way it did half his collection, the other half was fine. One is classical/jazz the other is electronic/modern. We told him to try something else and he bought a used MC-20 and was happy again. His way of determining this is whether his toes are tapping or not. He was back to full tap. He continued along the Ortofon line with an MC-30 Super and I used the cartridge for a few days. It is excellent and I've used a few different more expensive cartridges. Part of this is Ortofon and their knowledge of making a nice MC cartridge.

Some of the sonic improvements mentioned come from just moving up the line in phono cartridges. I like the comment about vinyl enthusiast vs. the casual listener. This is very true. One who is serious should try to spend the money to get a nice cartridge. Maybe not the first time but for sure the second time when they will be able to hear the difference and appreciate the money spent for the better nail. This could easily be done buying a lower level cartridge that can use a higher level stylus.

A lot of things go into the better cartridges but to play a record and plug into our vintage gear (mm input) they start with an aluminum cantilever and bonded tip (the diamond chunk is glued to a stump connected to the cantilever). Steps up are better diamond shapes (even narrower elliptical dimensions) moving from the elliptical to special designs and different cantilevers and the use of nude diamonds attached directly to the cantilever. These upgrades all improve the quality and amount of the information retrieved from the grooves.

I just don't understand why folks don't try to get a pretty nice cartridge for their turntables with vinyl is one of their primary sources.

Back
Top Bottom