Ortofon Super OM10 vs Shure M97xE for an HK T60?

LMB76

Hello AudioKarmaniacs!

I'm about to close the deal on a used Harman Kardon T60 :banana:

I have two to choose from in my area and both are in the same decent vintage condition and include the weight, original mat, feet, etc. The only real difference between the two is that one has a newish (or so he says) Ortolan Super OM10 and the other has a newish (or so the other he says) Shure M97xE. Both are pretty much economy carts, so all else being equal, can anyone opine as to which might be a better fit for this TT?

Thank you! :beerchug:

I've owned and heard them both and I really like the Ortofon Super OM 10. I felt that the sound was more open with better bass and treble compared to the Shure. Normally I like Shure but not the M97xe. The Ortofon is easy to upgrade as the replacement stylus just slip on in place of the OM10. I have the OM40 and it's the best that I've heard. I like it better than my Shure V15 Vmr.

I've owned and heard them both and I really like the Ortofon Super OM 10. I felt that the sound was more open with better bass and treble compared to the Shure. Normally I like Shure but not the M97xe. The Ortofon is easy to upgrade as the replacement stylus just slip on in place of the OM10. I have the OM40 and it's the best that I've heard. I like it better than my Shure V15 Vmr.
Thanks Jeff! I'm completely new to this whole gig, so I really appreciate your advice! I like, too, that you say that I'd be able to easily upgrade the Ortofon down the road -- that's good to know.

OM 10 is a entry level, as is the M97xE, but it can be upgraded to an OM 20 with a stylus change. Genuine Ortofon replacement stylus are available, The OM 20 will pummel the M97xE, I like the OM 10 better as well. I think the OM 20 is a great match for that table.

Now, add a LPGear N97 Vivid Line (VL) to the M97xE and it can sing pretty good.

OM 10 is a entry level, as is the M97xE, but it can be upgraded to an OM 20 with a stylus change. Genuine Ortofon replacement stylus are available, The OM 20 will pummel the M97xE, I like the OM 10 better as well. I think the OM 20 is a great match for that table.

thanks for your thoughts, bobins08! 2 votes for the Ortofon!

I had a T-60 with an OM10 sounded good, upgraded to a 20, great match for that table and arm. The Shure can sound good with a stylus upgrade as well.

What wasn't a great match was the table in a room with hardwood floors. That suspended platter can be very bouncy even with the original disk weight. Hope it works for you.

Also be sure to check the speed of both 45/33 with and without the quartz lock on, these tables are well known for having speed issues, usually caps and pots.

Last edited:
I had a T-60 with an OM10 sounded good, upgraded to a 20, great match for that table and arm. The Shure can sound good with a stylus upgrade as well.

What wasn't a great match was the table in a room with hardwood floors. That suspended platter can be very bouncy even with the original disk weight. Hope it works for you.

Also be sure to check the speed of both 45/33 with and without the quartz lock on, these tables are well known for having speed issues, usually caps and pots.
thanks 911! My wood floors are mostly covered with an area rug and I don't have kids jumping around (nor do i jump around -- much! -- except when i score a great deal!), so I'm hoping for the best! Thanks for the heads-up about checking the speed -- i have read through, literally, every T60-related post on AK so I'm already planning on bringing the TT to my local record store and having them give it a check up. :)

I really need a "go back".

While I still would take an OM 10 over a stock M97xE, and much prefer OM 20, I I need to reinforce my point on the Vivid Line.

I usually play the n97vl installed in my secondary system in my office. Now playing it on my AR in my main system, a much better system in a much better room, and it is really quite good. Hard to believe I can put the stock stylus back in and make this sound so mediocre. The VL lacks nothing. Great inner details, airy clear highs, full bass and mids. I've spent two hours being drawn into the music, non stop enjoyment with this combination on my AR. Loaded at 47k and ~270 pf.

I can listen to this combo and be pleased for quite awhile. I have no doubt it would compete with the OM 20 too. It is comparable to my V15-III.

To anyone that has an M97xE the Vivid Line should be an upgrade consideration.

I really need a "go back".

While I still would take an OM 10 over a stock M97xE, and much prefer OM 20, I I need to reinforce my point on the Vivid Line.

I usually play the n97vl installed in my secondary system in my office. Now playing it on my AR in my main system, a much better system in a much better room, and it is really quite good. Hard to believe I can put the stock stylus back in and make this sound so mediocre. The VL lacks nothing. Great inner details, airy clear highs, full bass and mids. I've spent two hours being drawn into the music, non stop enjoyment with this combination on my AR. Loaded at 47k and ~270 pf.

I can listen to this combo and be pleased for quite awhile. I have no doubt it would compete with the OM 20 too. It is comparable to my V15-III.

To anyone that has an M97xE the Vivid Line should be an upgrade consideration.
wow, thanks for all the great info, bob! lots to chew on...

wow, thanks for all the great info, bob! lots to chew on...

The whole concept of what sounds"better" is complicated. Lots of factors involved such as your electronics, speakers, your room and your tastes. I found that my tastes and opinions on what good sound is has changed (or evolved) over time.

So while I would pick an OM 10 over the stock M97xE, I cannot say I would pick the OM 20 over the M97xE with the N97VL stylus upgrade. I never did a side my side comparison of the two. The VL costs less and its a real bargain IMO.

In this hobby the only way to know is to try. The journey is the fun.

Last edited:
Hopefully your T60 checked out well (or will check out well if you haven't picked it up yet). As to cartridges, ears, tastes, and systems are all different, and cartridges do perform differently with different 'tables, phono stages, and so on. I've never owned a T60, but have long enjoyed cartridges in the price range of the OM10 and M97xE, and I think it's fun to try different things to see what you like. There are great-sounding, modestly-priced cartridges readily available from companies like Shure, AT, Grado, Ortofon, and Sumiko. Each time your current stylus wears out is an opportunity to research and get excited about trying something new. At some point you may lock into what you like best. My biases are pretty well-formed after several decades in the hobby, but I still auditioned several cartridges in a Rega RP3 before concluding that the M97xE ticks all my boxes for enjoyable, fully engaging sound. However, it was a Sumiko that did it for me on a Denon turntable, a Grado that I liked best on a Well Tempered, and a friend of mine has settled in on the OM20 as best to him in his Rega P1.

thank you, KentTeffeteller and jrtrent for your thoughts!

I haven't picked up my T60 yet -- both are still available and I will probably pull the trigger this weekend and pick it up! Since both TTs were reasonably similar vis-a-vis cosmetics and were similar in cost and both had all original equipment (feet, mat, weight), the only distinction I could make between the two was the cart and the distance to pick up (2.5 hrs vs about 1.5 hr). I'm leaning towards the one with the OM 10 due to feedback in this thread AND that it's closer. I'm sure going forward I'll have the fun of learning what I like better regarding sound but being so green in the TT world i have to rely on others' opinions, which you have all so kindly given me!

Back
Top Bottom