Oscar viewership down 19%.

qdrone

Music is my mistress
This on top of viewership down 17% the year before. I stopped watching it because of the political rhetoric 2 years ago and also it seemed I was watching a production put on for the people in the industry not the ticket buyers, us. Oh well, looks like the parties over.

I used my DVR to fast forward thru the boring parts then to the end.
All I really wanted to see was the "In Memoriam" only to be let down in Glen Campbell and Adam West were forgotten!!!!

Barney

From my porch it looks like we have become more segmented as a society and celebrities have less of an appeal. There is not as much interest in the person as in the performance. I know football viewing was also way off, maybe for the same reasons. We can appreciate the skills but it ends right there.

Way back in the day there was a bit of magic to Hollywood and getting to see them all come out at once was an event, a glimpse into a different world. Now that we instantly get to know what they are all doing and thinking at every moment of the day it has killed off a lot of that.

The presentation of movies use to be about entertaining the public and the life style of the actresses and actors, then it became about the accomplishment of the directors and that popular acting from popular actors was not necessary. So gone were the days of going to see your favorite people on the silver screen which cheapened Hollywood into looking like just another money making enterprise. People use to go to the movies to get away from it all and enjoy fictional content but reality TV took Hollywood on the wrong path and the dumb and dumber approach to what actually happens in real peoples live took the magic away from watching a movie. Now if there is not a good action movie on all there is drama on....and most people prefer that others check their drama damage in at the door before they enter their homes.

So why watch it on TV ????

I would make it a 2 hour long show about the movies in which the awards were given. Forget all the crap about the ridiculous outfits people wear to go to it.

If I got out to see many of the movies, maybe I would watch it anyway, but maybe I got to a movie theater only once or twice a year, and not every year.

When the greatest movie drama's are not made in Hollywood any more. Who cares about the Oscars, An example: Yang jia jiang (Saving General Yang) 2013

This is a historical drama about a real event that happened in China in the early Northern Song dynasty, AD 986. It is the story of aduction of General Yang Ye by the Khitan army. Madame She (billed as Xu Fan) General Yang Ye's wife sends her 7 sons out to save him. They set out knowing they are facing 1000's in the Khitan army in a massivally fortified compound. This movie is the story of the trial and tribulations of the 7 sons efforts to rescue their father and return with him to their mother. Knowing that what you are seeing is done in exactating detail. The weapons, the armor the horse tack, everything is historically accurate. They have actual examples of all of the costuming and military equipment that have been excavated in the tombs from that time. When the movie is over you sit there astonished by what you just watched.

poster_general_yang+%E5%BF%A0%E7%83%88%E6%9D%A8%E5%AE%B6%E5%B0%86.jpg

Last edited:
I take a different tone. Years ago all the big names that wouldn't give a hoot about the folks that bought tickets to see their movies were so high up on their own BS that they drove them away in droves. Of course TV was coming on strong and heaven forbid any of the big names ever sullied their name by being on TV.
Now comes reality. Many "big" names would have no career if it weren't for TV. TV has given the really big old timers new interest in their "residuals" and "royalties". Of course the old timers are long gone but the inheritors are benefiting. Enough so that many never have to work a day in their lives.
I remember way back when John Wayne was cornered by a "red carpet" reporter simply by accident. He was so uncomfortable at being asked simple every day questions and he showed it. He actually looked like he was in pain answering the few questions he was asked. He did answer but you could tell grudgingly so. That one instance tuned me out of the old time big name stars. These people lived in a bubble that burst when TV came on the scene.

I was building a new pegboard cabinet with dual sliding pegboard doors. It seems like a better use of my day and evening.

It is actually necessary since I closed my woodshop across the street, and gifted the original one that now resides in Arkansas.

I couldn't tell you the name of one new movie released in the past year.
...and I wouldn't recognize any of the actors from those either.

I've never watched the Oscars in my life. Never had a reason to, really--if I liked a film, or didn't like it, an awards show was not going to do anything to change that, and I never bought into the concept of "celebrity." And with the trend towards the presenters politicizing anything they can at every opportunity lately, uuh, no thanks. They can take their bully pulpits elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom