[OT] Shipping a Grandfather Clock

salred

Rest In Peace
Off topic -- but maybe someone has been through this...

My mother has outlived her money -- good / bad thing -- and is relocating from a duplex to subsidized apartment. While it might fit, we're thinking this might be a good time for me to claim the 19th century German grandfather's clock that's been in our family for about 40 years.

The clock's slightly over 7' high, and we have made contact with a local (to her -- Jacksonville, IL) clock expert that can prepare the clock for shipping. But then what?

Any suggestions as to who to contact to actually crate the clock and get it on it's way to me in Southern Maryland? She's going to contact her moving company tomorrow to see what they suggest, but I thought I'd throw this question out here to see what suggestions folks might have to offer.

Thanks,

Steve A.

PS: And what do think in might cost to ship it 900 miles ...?

Since we have a grandmother clock in the front hall I assume the clock expert will dismount the weights and pendlum and wrap them. It might also be advisable to secure the movement by taping the pendlum arm to the escapement - surprising how tose things can go into overdrive without the pendlum attached. I would imagine that any experienced mover would know how to wrap it. Movers typically wrap one or more of their blankets about the clock and secure it to the wall of the van. Cost? not a clue.

It would probably go freight and cost a couple hundred dollars. I'm pretty sure something that long and heavy couldn't go by any of the major shippers (UPS, Fedex, etc).

I used to be a dealer for howard miller and all clocks were shipped freight movements locked pendulum and weights wrapped and secured at the foot in a huge box..you may check with some furniture stores as HM dealt with many and see if you can get a shipping box from one..

Back
Top Bottom