Otari MX5050 BII 2

4-2-7

Smart Ass
Sponsor
I started to post this new to me deck in my Tascam TSR-8, 8 Track thread. However this one is going to need a bit of service, so lets do a new thread.

The main thing right now is when RW & FF the two bars that push the tape away from the heads do not move at all. The cueing lever moves them though so there not stuck. I'll be opening it up to Deox-it as there is some switch issues not making good contact. Other wise the unit is very clean cosmetically.

IMG_1377.JPG IMG_1378.JPG IMG_1380.JPG IMG_1379.JPG IMG_1381.JPG

I also get a high frequency noise at times, but not while recording and playing the recording.

The cables that came with it are Monster XLR to RCA don't know if they are home made, I don't know if they are made right, but are all monster parts. I have some XLR/XLR and maybe should try plugging it into my Mac system to see if that makes it go away.

Last edited:
If something isn't moving that should, it's likely just gummed up. It's...difficult...to hurt one of these things.

If you need any parts, drop me a PM. I have most of a cannibalized MX-5050-B2HD squirreled away in the basement.

That's an excellent deck you have there. Hopefully the noise is coming from a dirty switch contact.

If you need any parts, drop me a PM. I have most of a cannibalized MX-5050-B2HD squirreled away in the basement.

Thanks Sam will keep you in mind for help, just starting to open it up for a deoxing. I have bad ware on the pins that push the tape away from the heads, the heads could look better also. I might mod the tape path and buy aftermarket heads or get these lapped.

That's an excellent deck you have there. Hopefully the noise is coming from a dirty switch contact.

That's what Im hoping for.

There's something nonstandard about Otari XLR cable configuration -- I have "proper" cables for mine, but I cannot remember what the deal is.
ahh, I guess it's not "nonstandard", just "old school": http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=32423
Yeah I looked at that on the manual I downloaded at HiFi, When XLRs came out they where all over the place and nothing was standard. I opted not to plug it into my Mac preamp till I know what's going on. Thanks I'll look at your link Mark.

Otari stuck with that weird pinout long after XLRs were standardized.
Im not a technician so I might get someone else over here to change them around inside the unit to match my McIntosh C100 preamp. The unit is a bit dusty inside, not really bad but it's collected some. This thing is built really nice and attention to detail, love the nylon washers under every screw head to protect the finish. I don't think this thing has ever been apart or serviced. This might be a babied home only unit, not one cut on the edit block or really a scratch anywhere.

Last edited:
Here is a bunch of shots of the XLR in/outputs...
If I can be directed and instructed as to witch wires should be swapped I can change them on the unit instead of modding cables. That's if you all think this would be the right way to go. The owners manual at HiFi Engine shows three ways to hook them up for compatibility to ones system.

IMG_1395.JPG IMG_1396.JPG IMG_1397.JPG IMG_1398.JPG

Great deck, real workhorses. I changed mine at the cable ends, not within the unit. Pretty easy to do. Another popular mod on mine was an added output fed directly off the head for using an external amp.

XLR wiring is not really "all over the place", but rather one of two ways: 2 hot or 3 hot... If it's not what you want it to be, swapping the wires on pins 2 and 3 of all the XLRs is all that's necessary. Pin 1 on XLRs is always ground, because by design that pin makes contact first when mating connectors.

If pins 2-3 are not matching the signal sense of your other gear, and you have a balanced I/O setup, it won't hurt anything if it's plugged in that way. It will just have the wrong signal polarity (sometimes referred to as phase) and your speakers will go in when they should be going out and the leading edge of a given waveform.

If your system includes cables or equipment that unbalances balanced lines by shorting one lead to ground and letting the other become "hot", then it's theoretically possible some of the gear won't be happy. But since that method is so widely used, it's unlikely designers didn't plan for that in their work.

On the transport, there may be some lifter defeat logic that is selected to keep the tape lifters from operating. It's been awhile, but I think it was a remote function for MTR-10s and 12s so that timecode track could be read. Hopefully there was audio muting too!

If you dive into head replacement/refurb, I believe some of the shops would accept entire head blocks, lap the heads, and re-align before returning them. That would save a lot of work, especially if you don't have alignment tapes, etc. at the ready. If the heads and fixed guides are mounted to the block above them, rather than to the chassis, they can probably pull that off.

Chip

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom