Out of the following reel to reel's which would you rather have.

Quick Cal

1. Sony TC-260 that I got for free. It needs a couple of transistors replaced. I all ready have them. Just need my buddy to install them. But I'm pretty sure this is a low end model nothing to brag about. But I'm guessing. I know it doesn't sound all that great now even when the left channel is not hissing at me,,,lol. But in all fairness I'm sure the heads need de-maged and I know the tapes I have are questionable at best.

I do have a brand new unopened factory recorded tape I'm going to try.

2. Teac A-4010S. I met a guy who has one that said it was his uncles. Says it's like new. But he hasn't played it. From what I've read the pinch roller will probably be locked up and everything will need took apart and cleaned. I'm going to try to trade him a lawn mower that I got for free and a little cash. I'm thinking $50 cash, but he's thinking $75. We haven't come to terms,,,lol.

3. Akia GX-280D. I don't know anything about it other than it's supposed to be real nice, ready to go. Probably get that one for $100-$125.

I'd like to go for the Teac as long it's a better sounding unit than the Sony. And I can do some horse trading,,,lol.

So out of those which one would you guys think would be the best. Thanks

Last edited:
IMO it would be a toss up between the TEAC (assuming you mean A-4010S) and the Akai GX-280D. The TEAC is easy to work on, extremely well built and very reliable but the Akai is a more modern deck with their glass GX heads that will probably yield better performance if it has been sorted out. The Akai amp board has a bunch of those notorious Hitachi 2sc458 transistors that are well known and proven troublemakers but if they have been addressed then it should be a pretty good deal. Both are good three motor three head machines although the TEAC is an older machine that will require reel holders as opposed to the built in quick-lock reel holders on the more modern Akai. Personally I'd forget about the Sony, it's an entry level single motor idler driven two-head machine and not even one of their better ones of that design. Although I generally prefer TEAC open reel decks I think I might go for that Akai all things being equal.

Teac! More reliable, easier to maintain. Has had better parts availability over time. And can bias modern tape. The Sony is limited to low bias, non backcoated tape formulas only.

IMO it would be a toss up between the TEAC (assuming you mean A-4010S) and the Akai GX-280D. The TEAC is easy to work on, extremely well built and very reliable but the Akai is a more modern deck with their glass GX heads that will probably yield better performance if it has been sorted out. The Akai amp board has a bunch of those notorious Hitachi 2sc458 transistors that are well known and proven troublemakers but if they have been addressed then it should be a pretty good deal. Both are good three motor three head machines although the TEAC is an older machine that will require reel holders as opposed to the built in quick-lock reel holders on the more modern Akai. Personally I'd forget about the Sony, it's an entry level single motor idler driven two-head machine and not even one of their better ones of that design. Although I generally prefer TEAC open reel decks I think I might go for that Akai all things being equal.

Thanks for all that.

Now I have to google what reel holders are. So does this mean I can't use any of my reels. Or do I need an adapter or something. Off to google,,,,lol.

Teac! More reliable, easier to maintain. Has had better parts availability over time. And can bias modern tape. The Sony is limited to low bias, non backcoated tape formulas only.

Non backcoated tapes huh. Maybe that's why the Sony sounds so bad.

Does backcoated mean shiny on one side and dull on the other?

Is this the reel holders you are talking about. If so I have some on the Sony. Would these work?

View attachment 917378

Nope, those reel holders won't work on the TEAC. Sony has a proprietary spring clip style of holder that mates up with the spindles on their decks. You can make your own reel holders by drilling a small hole on the center of a pair of rubber stoppers (available at any hardware store or home center). You can buy a pair of new ones on eBay for about 10 bucks too.

I like the TEAC deck but it's a pretty old model, no matter which one you choose check the heads closely for wear and make sure the electronics are working. The belt will likely need replacing and the pinch roller mechanism linkage will need disassembly, cleaning and relubrication (slightly more involved on this older deck than the newer models but not very difficult if you are mechanically inclined)

Hopefully the Teac has the reel holders included. As mentioned before. If I go with the Teac I can do some trading getting the out of pocket cash down,,,lol.

Here's another one to throw in the mix. How does a Akai GX-365D compare to the rest.

Non backcoated tapes huh. Maybe that's why the Sony sounds so bad.

Does backcoated mean shiny on one side and dull on the other?

Yes, and such tapes do poorly on pressure pad machines, and remember the Sony here is single motor, idler drive, and belt driven 1964 germanium transistor technology.

Guys;

I'll agree with AJ on the Otari 5050. And I just did what he said, last week, with a couple of stoppers.

I think I used a drill that was just a 32nd. of an inch bigger than the 5/16" Dia., that the 5050 posts are, as the hole in the rubber shrinks a bit, running a drill bit through, when done. And, it doesn't matter, 7" plastic reel with the small hub or NAB hub 10 1/2" reels. The stoppers hold a TEAC TZ-612 adapter down, just fine.

A 5050? Good thought, I know you would like one.

Lu.

Hopefully the Teac has the reel holders included. As mentioned before. If I go with the Teac I can do some trading getting the out of pocket cash down,,,lol.

Here's another one to throw in the mix. How does a Akai GX-365D compare to the rest.

I'd skip that one, it's not one of Akai's better machines and the convoluted reverse timer feature can cause trouble. Quite frankly if you are looking for a good first open reel deck I'd suggest a nice simple straightforward TEAC A-2300SX. No need for 10.5" reels or auto-reverse if you just want to do some basic recording and playback, and if you do want auto-reverse look for a TEAC A-4300 (for 7" reels) or perhaps an A-6300 (for 10.5" reels). If you don't need large reel capability I'd suggest sticking with a standard 7" machine though for a number of reasons.

Ideal starter deck IMO. A good basic three head single motor deck (but with belt driven capstan which is good). Easy to service, reliable and a great place to start if you want to try out the open reel format without spending a ton. I had an old MK I version that I used for years and it was a great little recorder, still listen to the tapes I made on it 25-30 years ago. The MK II version is nicer because it has built in reel holders and a few other minor improvements.

What is your budget? I ask because the tape media can get expensive so it is worth investing in a decent deck from the start. Recommendations can be made for a given budget.

Ideal starter deck IMO. A good basic three head single motor deck (but with belt driven capstan which is good). Easy to service, reliable and a great place to start if you want to try out the open reel format without spending a ton. I had an old MK I version that I used for years and it was a great little recorder, still listen to the tapes I made on it 25-30 years ago. The MK II version is nicer because it has built in reel holders and a few other minor improvements.

Which would be better. The Akai 4000 or the Teac A4010S.

I'd really like to get the Teac because I can do some trading and only put out 50-75 cash. Other wise I may not be able to afford a nicer deck. I'm a poor old fart on disability,,,,lol.

My budget???

Well I'd like to steal something for 50. Could do 100-125. Might struggle at 150. Might not be able to come up with that much. It's hell being poor,,,lol.

Are my expectations unrealistic??

Last edited:
Are you planning on buying tapes or are you sitting on a bunch? You may be going down an expensive road is all I'm saying.

Are you planning on buying tapes or are you sitting on a bunch? You may be going down an expensive road is all I'm saying.

I have a few that someone recorded, and one new un-opened factory recording. But I was planning on buying some.

If I get the Akia 4000 it says it comes with a box of tapes. What exactly I don't know.

The TEAC is a better machine but it's most likely gonna need more work. If you're a mechanically inclined tinkerer with some spare time the 4010S should be fun to work on and yield great results though.

If you get it and need some tape shoot me a pm, I've got some spare reels of tape you can have.

Back
Top Bottom