Outdoor Antenna Performace Calcs

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by Whitehall, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Tullman

Tullman Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  2. Lesterbest

Lesterbest Super Member

It's a metal tower with an open frame fortified by the trusses in the design. I erected one on my bro's roof that held 5 antennas. This was in the pre cable era. I'm guessing the tower I used was 15' or 20'. Look @ any radio or TV antenna that's not erected on a skyscraper. They're all pretty much the same, differing only in size & scale.

3. mr clean

mr clean Active Member

I use it for communications. I have a yagi antenna on it. Not real good at posting pics but will try when I have time. They are very sturdy. Heres a pic from the website. They have lighter duity towers for lighter loads. Mine is 9 sq ft loading. Cheaper versions can be had. They use the name wade now. It was delhi.

http://wadeantenna.com/product/48-foot-dmx-heavy-duty-tower/

4. Lesterbest

Lesterbest Super Member

Blow up the photo. This design has been around > 100 yrs.

5. mr clean

mr clean Active Member

Heres what I put up at work. Works great for a omni directional. I have one at work 130 or so ft in the air. I have a clue about antennas from other hobbies. You can mount a antenna in you attic with but it won't work as well as outdoor but the added height will make it work better than a indoor. Guys who talk on radios and have a clue will tell you there is no better money spent than antenna and coax. I would rather have a 300 dollar tuner and a good antenna than a 1000 dollar tuner and a crappy antenna. You can find this antenna cheaper its just the first pic I found. For now I'm just using my outdoor tv antenna and it does a very good job even off the sides. I have a great location and this helps a lot also. yagi antennas and quad antennas are directional and work a lot like the beam of a flashlight directing much of your receive in one direction with more elements and boom length making the beam more narrow. There will be small lobes of received signall in other directions but this is kept to a minimum with good antenna design. The second paste up at the bottom of the page shows where the antenna is receiving the most signal direction wise. If wanting alittle wider beam shorter with less elements can be a plus if not using a rotator and wanting channels in one generial direction but not all grouped together. I hope this makes sense. If all the stations you are wanting to receive are basically in one direction a rotator is not really needed. This applies to directional antennas only. Omnis will pick up all around but with less gain.

http://www.staples.com/Winegard-HD-6010-HD-Omni-Directional-Radio-Fm-Antenna/product_209071

yagi beam signal path for fm stereo pics

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  6. Lesterbest

Lesterbest Super Member

Very well put. Indoor antennas & omnis are a piss poor substitute.

7. mr clean

mr clean Active Member

I agree they are not as good range wise but may be fine if living in big cities with lots of near by stations. Getting any antenna outside helps alot. But if wanting to reach out and touch a beam can't be beat. Heres a good site for building your own.

http://www.wtfda.org/mikestvfmdx/yagi.html