Outdoor speakers... What do you have? What do you wish you had?

If space allows I'd highly recommend placing outdoor speakers in the open and not against walls. If you don't have a porch or overhang and are concerned about how they'd weather I've seen examples that fell into swimming pools and still played fine. Walls IMO just murder the sound.

My Advent Calypso's have swivel stand-offs on the back so they can be positioned any way. I have them about six feet off the deck and tilted slightly inward. I also have a MonoPrice weather-proof volume control to harmonize with the speakers indoors if all are playing.

I have a pair of Sonance Mariner 300 and have received many compliments on them. I really enjoy them.

For many years I have a pair of KLH speakers ( $ 70.00 a pair ) that look like gray rocks. Three way design, they sound pretty decent. For bass I have an old Sony Passive Sub under the deck, that I picked up at a garage sale for $ 5.00 . The sub is powered by an old Yamaha CR 620.

I have never taken any of the speakers in , and they have been buried in a few feet of snow many winters, except for the sub.

I was just listening to Saint. Saens yesterday, and they still sound great.

I have turned on many friends and neighbors to the JBL S36AW, as well as the AudioAcess rebranded variant. There was a guy with a truckload full selling them on ebay for 10 years but I bought his last few sets. They are great sounding, and super rugged. My first pair has 12 full New England years on them outdoors and they have yet to miss a beat.

Grab a pair if you ever see them !

jblnut

I have turned on many friends and neighbors to the JBL S36AW, as well as the AudioAcess rebranded variant. There was a guy with a truckload full selling them on ebay for 10 years but I bought his last few sets. They are great sounding, and super rugged. My first pair has 12 full New England years on them outdoors and they have yet to miss a beat. Grab a pair if you ever see them !
jblnut

Are those 3-ways? The N26AWIIs I have are two way, but sound great and have been in the California sun and rain for going on 7 years now. They were a great deal, too. Factory refurbs. I can vouch for JBL outdoor ruggedness engineered into them.... knock on wood! ;)

Electro-Voice S-40's

Apparently the birds like them too, they make a nest on top of this one every spring. IMG_7768.JPG

I have Polk Atrium 45's attached to the wall facing the deck. They have been out there about 10 years now. Still sound great for cocktail hour ambiance and dinner music. Had a wren's nest in one of the brackets a few springs ago.

Enjoy the music,
-Mark

Back
Top Bottom