Outlaw 2200 Mono-Blocks, What's Your Opinion?

Mchaz

Outputs roasting on an...
So with my recent AR9 find I am contemplating amps to properly power them. I'm looking for 200+ WPC. Preferably 250+ into 4 Ohms.

So, for some reason, the Outlaw 2200s have stuck in my mind ever since I first discovered them. They are monoblocks that will push 300 watts into 4 ohms in a small footprint, and have a very attractive price at $624 (I'm thinking stimulus package check in May ;)) for a pair. I remember reading favorable reviews a while back in, I think, Affordable Audio. I can't remember which issue it was though.

Anyway, has anyone heard these Outlaw amps? They use a hybrid class A/B G operation, which I know nothing about. Above 80w they will switch over to class G, which I figure will happen fairly often when driving AR9s at moderate volumes. The option for balanced inputs is nice. Toroidal transformers are groovy, and I have heard good things about Outlaw's customer support.

So does anyone have any thoughts on how they sound? :)

See http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html for info.

Are these the replacements for the discontinued M-200's? I owned a pair of them a few years ago.

Well, FWIW I liked the M-200's. Plenty of power, auto on/off, ran nice and cool. I did find them sonically quite forward "in your face" type amps and that didn't appeal to me.

Can't speak to their mono-blocks, but I have the 2150 receiver and I'm very happy with it. And yes, the customer service was good.

Emotiva XPA-2 should be a beast at $799

Hmm, now that's a thought. I just checked out the specs, 500 WPC into 4 ohms at 0.007% THD. Wow! That would give me some nice headroom. It doubles its output from 8 to 4 ohms, so I imagine it will handle the difficult load of the AR9s well. It weighs 75lbs. :yes: It looks pretty sleek as well. $799 isn't bad...though is still a bunch of money. However it is new, so I wouldn't have to worry about recap costs, etc to get it up to spec. Hmm indeed.

http://www.emotiva.com/

Scroll down to take a look.

BTW, this hobby is getting out of hand. :no:

BroonsBane said:
Well, FWIW I liked the M-200's. Plenty of power, auto on/off, ran nice and cool. I did find them sonically quite forward "in your face" type amps and that didn't appeal to me.

So how would you describe "in your face"? Overly bright highs and upper mids?

Hmm, now that's a thought. I just checked out the specs, 500 WPC into 4 ohms at 0.007% THD. Wow! That would give me some nice headroom. It doubles its output from 8 to 4 ohms, so I imagine it will handle the difficult load of the AR9s well. It weighs 75lbs. It looks pretty sleek as well. $799 isn't bad...though is still a bunch of money. However it is new, so I wouldn't have to worry about recap costs, etc to get it up to spec. Hmm indeed.

If you decide to upgrade in 6 months , it bridges to a nice even 1000 watts....:scratch2: You could pretty well spank the speakers of your choosing.

personnally, i love the way the outlaws look. i know it's not the looks, but they are cool!

Emotiva is also going to build an XPA-1 which I believe will be a 500 watt mono block at 8 ohms and 1000 watts at 4 ohms. Can't find any other details right now though.

Reactions: JAK
The outlaws are nice (I have the NHT versions, the A1's, powering my NHT subs), but don't think they would be enough power to really make the AR-9's sing. I believe it is Class G. Spend a bit more money and get an amp they deserve. That's my opinion.

I wasn't very fond of the sound quality. As someone here said...plenty of power and ran cool but just not very musical.

Back
Top Bottom