Output transistors keep blowing on SX-2500

Yeah, I know. That's what my problem is. On radios I repair, I often get a low signal from the output even if the final transistor is blown, because it is measuring the driver signal passing through a blown final. I originally thought that might be my problem here, but I don't think it is, since I replaced them with no results. For some reason audio amplification seems to work a bit differently than RF amplification. I haven't figured out why yet.

I see pin 12, but not pin 1 on the board, but I get 80.1 volts from pin 12. If it is the pin right next to that one, away from the output transistors, then that is also 80.1 volts.

Check that R46 an R48 are 15kΩ and that their junction connects to the emitter of Q2. I'm thinking maybe there is not enough negative feedback?? :dunno:

Both are 15K, and there is continuity between each of them and Q2.

As for the mystery about the C1/C2 R7/R8 junctions, on the boards, they are 10K resistors. This is what the service manual I have shows in the board view though:

Screenshot from 2018-12-05 19-08-15.png

Both are 15K, and there is continuity between each of them and Q2.

As for the mystery about the C1/C2 R7/R8 junctions, on the boards, they are 10K resistors. This is what the service manual I have shows in the board view though:

View attachment 1348098
I see what you mean, they show as 330Ω on the board picture. Isn't that the area you had bad traces?

yes thats them now i look again . are voltages same both channels ? measure right across them first
The actual board is a bit different than the one in the SM. R51 is on the wrong side, but it would do the same thing in either place. R17 I get 9.2V across it, and R18 I get 8.8V.

Well, considering that I replaced a good chunk of those traces, and I'm confident there are no breaks, the traces shouldn't be bad. As for wrong parts, I'll look, but I don't think so.

The actual board is a bit different than the one in the SM. R51 is on the wrong side, but it would do the same thing in either place. R17 I get 9.2V across it, and R18 I get 8.8V.
R17 and R18 feed the output bias (idle current) control circuit.

Is it possible that there might be a bad capacitor somewhere acting like a resistor instead of a dead short? That seems to be my other option here I guess, unless you guys have something else.

Anyway, the wife is wanting me to come home, so I guess I'll get started pulling caps and testing them tomorrow, because that's where my mind is at right now. Unless, of course, you can give me another place to look.

Back
Top Bottom