Overlooked and Underappreciated Jazz Musicians

Kosinki

Hey Guys, looking for suggestions on some of the lesser known but still significant musicians that I should check out. I know a guy that has 80,000 jazz records (all the Blue Note has been picked over) and I'd like to acquire some real gems from his collection, thanks.

There was a recent thread similar to this. Check out my response in post #2.

When you say "picked over" with regards to BN, does that mean there's nothing left?
Hard to go wrong with almost any BN material from the 'classic' ere. And some of the lesser known stuff can be more valuable, both in money, and listening pleasure.
You'll never see Herbie Nichols at the top of any best Blue Notes to get type of list, but he'd be the near the top of mine.

Hey thanks for your response Kris. Yeah he's been selling his collection for quite a few years now and it seems that most of his BN collection has been sold save for a few records that he keeps for himself. I'll check out Nichols, thanks for the suggestion.

These are definitely not unknown, but maybe just a bit lesser known. I really like:

Gene Ammons
Nat Adderley
Red Garland
Wynton Kelly
Stanley Turrentine
Jimmy Smith

Just because the Blue Notes are gone doesn't mean there isn't some great music left!. Charles Mingus is one of the giants of jazz from the postwar to early 1960s era that never even recorded for Blue Note. Miles Davis recorded almost all his classic albums for Columbia. John Coltrane recorded only one album for Blue Note so there may be something in the collection on Prestige or Atlantic. Most of the West Coast guys--Art Pepper, Chet Baker, Shelly Manne, etc. --were on Contemporary or Pacific Jazz. Bill Evans and T. Monk were on Riverside. Eric Dolphy was on Prestige as were Kenny Dorham and Sonny Rollins. You get the idea!

IMG_3306.JPG
Here's some of the records I've got so far. He's got lots of verve, cti, ecm records from what I've initially seen. With some occasional mint Columbia 6 eyes like Brubeck record pictured.

Rather than trying to name names, it might be better to point you towards labels that issued a lot of good jazz during the 50s, 60s and 70s. In the 70s especially there were many reissues and two-fer sets that made a lot of good music available again. There were many smaller labels that specialized in jazz and released a lot of fine records.

Labels to watch for: Verve, Prestige, Riverside, Impulse, Milestone, Pablo, Savoy, Contemporary, OJC (Original Jazz Classics) on Fantasy. These labels were so consistent and had such high standards that almost everything in their catalogs is at least listenable, and is probably quite good.

There's also Concord, Chesky, Vanguard, Candid, Barnaby, Archive of Folk and Jazz, Muse, Mercury, Roulette, Argo, Chess, Cadet. Anything on these labels is at least worth looking at closely as a possibility.

Obviously, there are also plenty of good things by big names on Atlantic, Columbia, Capitol, and other major labels.

Some Blue Note stuff was also reissued on labels like Liberty, Applause, Solid State (United Artists). These have much less "collector value" and some believe the audio quality is not as good, but the music is pretty much the same as what was on the original Blue Notes.

The above are mentioned with LPs in mind -- if you're also looking for CDs, that's a different subject.

View attachment 995020
Here's some of the records I've got so far. He's got lots of verve, cti, ecm records from what I've initially seen. With some occasional mint Columbia 6 eyes like Brubeck record pictured.

I would advise you to look on discogs to get an idea of how you did so far. Not all old jazz records are worth a lot - some are actually pretty cheap. Paying $15 per record can be a great deal, market price, or overpaying by quite a bit. It really all depends upon condition, how rare a release is, and how much demand there is. I just wouldnt want you to overpay for some titles you may be able to get cheaper elsewhere.

Yeah I've already added all my releases on there. Some are worth less some are worth more. I don't really have time when I'm looking to be flipping through discogs trying to find out the worth of some records though.

I would advise you to look on discogs to get an idea of how you did so far. Not all old jazz records are worth a lot - some are actually pretty cheap. Paying $15 per record can be a great deal, market price, or overpaying by quite a bit. It really all depends upon condition, how rare a release is, and how much demand there is. I just wouldnt want you to overpay for some titles you may be able to get cheaper elsewhere.

I would agree with all of this. A flat price of $15 across the board no matter who it is or the condition of the record wouldn't be a particularly good deal for a lot of records.

As long as they're in very good condition, you'll likely be just fine. I'd rather have one record in VG+ or better condition than 3 in G+ or worse condition. I got a little over enthused when I started collecting and have some I never play because they're not enjoyable to listen to because of condition, though everyone has a different tolerance for clicks/pops/noise.

Anyway, enjoy picking through those records. Mingus and Evans would be in my top tier to get, so if those were still left after someone had already picked through them, there's likely a lot more good ones to get!

If your question is geared towards getting information to ensure the records you buy you are not overpaying, that will be difficult to provide an answer as an original pressing of a record will normally be more valuable than a later pressing. If your question is to help you learn more about jazz, that is also difficult as what appeals to one person may not appeal to another. However, if this is what you are looking for, I suggest you listen to what you have already purchased, determine what you like and research the artist. A good place to start would the the allmusic website where you can find subjective ratings on albums. I may not agree with all the ratings but I find that I more often agree with the ratings than disagree. So if your like the art pepper or mingus records you bought are are impressed with a particular sideman/player, you can research the sidemen for their records.

A few of my favorites
Grachon Moncur lll
Ray Baretto
Red Mitchell
Bobby Hutcherson
These were more sidemen for your bigger jazz musicians. I guess Bobby Hutcherson had more of a solo career than the others.

Don't know how far reaching his collection is, but there are many excellent Japanese jazz artists not well known over here.

A few I can personally recommend are:

Akira Sakata -- free jazz saxophonist

Terumasa Hino-- considered the Miles Davis of Japan

Masabumi Kikuchi-- excellent jazz pianist from the 1970's

I'm sure there are many others I'm not aware of.

Back
Top Bottom