Overlooked and Underappreciated Jazz Musicians

If you like Clarinet or as jazz musicians used to call it The Licorice Stick, Pee Wee Russell or Buddy Defrenco.

Look I could name some players here, and we could end up with a list of 75 artists. There is one name that towers above all the others in this category... WOODY SHAW!!!!!!!!!

If you like Clarinet or as jazz musicians used to call it The Licorice Stick, Pee Wee Russell or Buddy Defrenco.
Depends on the jazz musicians. I know one who calls it The Black Stick Of Death.;)

Love me some small group BSOD. Defranco, Woody Herman, Benny Goodman, even some Pete Fountain.
Fountain albums aren't (generally speaking) $15 items, though.

R-10682701-1502317589-6719.jpeg.jpg

My surfer friend's dad.

View attachment 995415
You, know I gave this some thought last night, and I gotta say he's a perfect answer for a thread like this.
I talk and trade jazz at a couple of other sites, and I remember somebody saying something like, "at his best, McGhee was right up there with all of the top bop trumpet players". Lofty comment, but it says a lot about just how great he was. And yet not known to most just getting into jazz. Heck, it was years before I came around to his stuff.

The other guys on that list are a great fit here, too.
I'd put Newborn up there with any piano player, and I don't think I've heard a session with Vinnegar on it that was bad.
Manne was drum machine before there was such a thing.

In what universe is Herbie Hancock overlooked? He is one of the most celebrated jazz pianists/keyboard players of all time.
And had one of the hugest crossover hits in Rockit.

I'm just going to assume he's just getting into jazz, and hasn't discovered Maiden Voyage or Head hunters yet.

And had one of the hugest crossover hits in Rockit.

I'm just going to assume he's just getting into jazz, and hasn't discovered Maiden Voyage or Head hunters yet.
Let's not forget Sextant and Thrust, my two faves! Two great Herbie albums from his more electric '70s period.

Back
Top Bottom