Owners of current JBL's?

I have a pair of DIY M2 clones in the living room as part of the HT system. I've never owned speakers in this class before so I have a hard time describing them. Suffice to say the great-room open design is terrible for acoustics but 600watts/side fills it to stupid loud levels with ease. Next up is replacing the venerable B460 sub with a worst name ever Sub 18 clone...in rosewood rather than basic black.

I have a pair of DIY M2 clones in the living room as part of the HT system. I've never owned speakers in this class before so I have a hard time describing them. Suffice to say the great-room open design is terrible for acoustics but 600watts/side fills it to stupid loud levels with ease. Next up is replacing the venerable B460 sub with a worst name ever Sub 18 clone...in rosewood rather than basic black.

Pics?

I don't know if this makes the grade but here goes. I st had JBL 2060 bookenders which were horrible. Not even worthy of my bdrm. Then I got for just $ 20 JBL G-200 which are far better than the later and do my room justice powered by a NIKKO 6065 34 watts of true Japaneses watts not the bs divided watts I gets from AVRs.IMG_4412[1].jpg IMG_4413[1].jpg IMG_4413[1].jpg

I have an exceedingly humble pair of J50 bookshelf speakers.
I use them on occasion and they impress me every time.
Surprising sound from such a small box.

I bet those 590 are one of the sweetest deals a person can get when they are on that 50% off sale. For sane money I am not sure a person could do much better. Sure the finish is black, but I imagine the SQ is superb!

And if a person can locate a pair of 1400 ARRAY for $5K used, thats a sweet deal to. I had a pair found for that kind of money, till these 4365 popped up. The tough part is shipping on those kind of large speakers. Which is what makes the 590 such a sic deal with free shipping.

Regards
Mister Pig

Mister Pig,

I can testify to the SQ of the Studio 590. Since purchasing mine, my Thiel CS3.5s have been back in the main 2 channel system one time. That one time was just to verify that I liked the JBLs as much as the Thiels. I have not wanted to put the Thiels back in since. Based on my experiences, I would have to move a great deal further up the line to get a significant improvement over the JBL 590. I am really enjoying these speakers. I purchased them on a whim (and a positive review of the Studio 580 from Wayner), but I am very happy I did.

I'd love to hear those 590! Wow, that's a great deal from New Egg. Has anyone compared them to other horn speakers like Klipsch?

I have the Klipsch 4KG which are pretty nice. The 580s seem to just blend better, kind of like there is no cross-over network. They are seamless, vertically.

I'd love to hear those 590! Wow, that's a great deal from New Egg. Has anyone compared them to other horn speakers like Klipsch?

I bought the 590’s about a year ago and couldn’t be happier. No plan to upgrade yet.

I have owned Fortes, Forte II’s, KG4’s...probably some others, and prefer the 590’s.

Klipsch Heritage are fantastic speakers IMO. The JBL’s are very dynamic like a Heritage, but the tweeter is smoother and less edgy. Bass is not lacking but I run a sub with mine. Fortes I never felt the need for a sub. They do a lot right and little wrong, like Wayne says the speakers are seamless, they have a very “Live” sound. The 590’s are a excellent value at the $900 dollar mark delivered new. Hard to beat for the money.

I run my with a Mcintosh C47 and 2105 combo.

Thanks for the input! I'm curious about their Teonex diaphragm? I'd love to see what the drivers look like from the inside actually. Dang, tempting!

Thanks for the input! I'm curious about their Teonex diaphragm? I'd love to see what the drivers look like from the inside actually. Dang, tempting!

The JBL part # for the compression driver used in all of the 5 series full range speakers is 2414H-1
It's the same as used in a lot of the JBL EON line PA speakers, so availability is great.
Here's a link to one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-EON-61...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I read somewhere that the diaphragm isn't available separately from JBL, however, they seem to pop up from different sellers anyway. Just not sure if they're authentic JBL, or even Teonex...
Here's a pic of one:

You could always get a real JBL 2414H-1, and dissect it. Be sure to post pics :)

Yes they have. Check out Lansing Heritage Forum. They have tried everything. Most with great results, but bring your game when you go there and ask questions. Repeat after me, "Search is your friend".

Thanks for that info! Makes me wonder if anyone has used these for DIY/econowave.

Ha! Great minds think alike.
I'm planning a 10" or 12" coaxial with an Eminence Beta-CX woofer and one of those 2414H-1 screwed into the back of it. The Eminence coaxials have a tiny horn / waveguide built in under the acoustically transparent dust cover. Should be some cheap fun!

I have a pair of JBL Control 1 bookshelfs with the SB-1 subwoofer that was made for them. Tiny but like getting beaten with potato sacks of sound! Powered em with a Yamaha R-S500 'Natural sound' receiver. I didn't really have any experience or opinion on Yamaha stuff but that thing is powerful and clean! Silent as heck too, even all the way up! Convinced me to buy my Studio 590's Still paying the preamp off, but the source computer arrives Monday!

Back
Top Bottom