Owners of large speakers, do guests seem intimidated by them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just trying to end the topic. I wouldn't expect you to agree as you began this thread.
People will end it by not responding to it. I certainly didn't expect it to run this long, but there has been some good posts. Some time in the 90's large speakers sort of went out of style with the mainstream. I suspect that Bose had a big hand in it in the beginning but other manufacturers at least somewhat followed suit, after all they did want to remain in business. Of course they didn't just make Bose clones but actually made great advances in small speaker Sq as well, well beyond Bose, and now as a result a lot of high end speakers are considerably smaller than what used to be considered the norm.

As an owner of large speakers from the big box speaker era I find it interesting how these big speakers have become somewhat scorned in the 21st century,particularly with people who were not around back then. It is (IMHO) sort of like blowback towards the excesses of the baby boomer generation and big speakers are a target of sorts, of what isn't acceptable in the 21st century household where a pod plugged into a docking station, or cell phone streaming music to Bluetooth speakers has won out in the mainstream opinion over huge speakers, amps, tape decks, TT's of the past.

Last edited:
Guests intimidated by large speakers?
No, they're just consumed by them before they realize it.

KBqLi3Bh.jpg

FREAKING AWESOME, Mike. Were you present at this?? And are those some of those late '20's horns I've read about?

He's in the process of being consumed.
Its a bit similar to the transporter system on the Starship Enterprise.

Brilliant. LMFAO.

And to Alobar, I'll pass this on to you -

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, no explanation would suffice."

I don't feel large speakers are intimidating, not until their size overpowers the room. (And at that point, the room is likely too small for the speakers.) The Vandys I have now are the largest in size that I have owned, but their svelte styling does not really stand out so much. Sure, they took a little getting used to, as I had speakers on lower stands before (Dahlquist DQM-9 being the most recent). I am, however, redoing some Martin Logans that will be replacing the Vandys and with the top half being partly transparent, they don't tend to dominate like other large speakers would. (Even if I'm not happy with the results of this overhaul, my end game is then a newer pair of MLs.)

And with MLs, visitors tend to be more intrigued with, "How the heck do those things work? Is there really sound coming out of nowhere?" :)

I think guests at Casa Wildcat are more intrigued by the number of records and/or CDs I have out, than the system.

When I brought home my first pair of Magnepans many moons ago my mother-in law said to my wife, "Did he know how big they were when he bought them? Those are divorce material".
And the thing is, she actually likes me.

If someone asks why your speakers are so big just reply, "theft prevention".

Someone asked how to blend large speakers into the room. It's actually pretty simple. Measure your speakers, determine the proper height, get your sawzall, open up the wall and recess them flush to the wall. You'll need very few carpentry skills unless of course it's an outside wall or the other side is a bathroom, kitchen, hallway. Hopefully it's a wall closet about 8' long that never get's used. I'm sure we all have one of those...

I hope this thread never ends- who really cares about speaker wire, re-capping, the best sound stage producing speakers, or which cartridge is best for my turntable, or "if I had $1000 to spend which speaker should I buy? This thread is about the important stuff.

This thread is about the important stuff.
Yep. Theft prevention, and divorce avoidance. :D

I'm lucky now to 1) not be married and 2) have a significant other who accepts and enjoys my system, vs. shaming me into the man cave to be a basement dweller, like my ex, who was more concerned with "doily all the things" and "turn that down" (when I was already playing it at a whisper) than letting a person enjoy a pastime. So these days I'll hear, "Are these new speakers?" Rather than, "Where the hell did you get money for that??" (followed by her own spending spree, running up the credit cards so her personal "value" would match mine).

Sometimes I wish I'd had room for a solid wall of Belle Klipsch speakers, and about 10,000 watts per side to drown out her incessant droning... :D

Why end it, Mamrak? We're still chewing on this one. Threadstarters aren't rewarded for how many pages their threads run.

I don't understand your motivations. If you're not enjoying this thread, there are many others you can peruse.

Jeez.
No.1 These posts have strayed far from whether guests are intimidated by large speakers. I just stopped in to see what was being written and it confirmed my suspicions. Lastly, I didn't realize you were the hall monitor for what I might post here.

No.1 These posts have strayed far from whether guests are intimidated by large speakers. I just stopped in to see what was being written and it confirmed my suspicions. Lastly, I didn't realize you were the hall monitor for what I might post here.

Threads ebb and flow around the original topic - some are on point, others not so much. Good luck finding one on this site that doesn't.

That said, I may have mentioned in an earlier comment in the thread about the 6' size of my speakers. My wife likes them, guests who 'get it' like them, guests who don't 'get it' have never commented.

Except my dad, who as a younger man aspired to Quad ESL and Mac amps (but owned Goodmans speakers and an Eico HF-81), once called my hifi interests and equipment collection 'rapture of the deep'. I expect the comment was more due to the fact I'd achieved what he never could (my mother is a very frugal type who eschewed techology from the living room).

FREAKING AWESOME, Mike. Were you present at this?? And are those some of those late '20's horns I've read about?

Brilliant. LMFAO.

And to Alobar, I'll pass this on to you -

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, no explanation would suffice."

When you are consumed, you get sucked into the spinning vortex of the speakers, and you are transported into this in-ground subwoofer system, much like these people in early prototype testing.

largest_sub_3_071708.jpg

largest_sub_071708.jpg
biggest_subwoofer_23.jpg

room-size-subwoofer-10.jpg

@onwardjames

To your questions....
That is from the annual LencoHeaven Beauvechain meeting, in Belgium. It might have been from last years meet? No, I was not there; too rich for my blood.
Yes, those are Western Electric horns from way back when. They are mounted in the Beauvechain barn as the in-house speaker system. I did a Bing search for Western Electric horns, and recognized the system. From there, I did a bit of image piracy on the internet.

When you are consumed, you get sucked into the spinning vortex of the speakers, and you are transported into this in-ground subwoofer system, much like these people in early prototype testing.

largest_sub_3_071708.jpg

largest_sub_071708.jpg
biggest_subwoofer_23.jpg

Wow. freakin awesome! Now I need to figure out how to get all that into the trunk of my car... :p

It seems like you really have to go, the restrooms are down the hall..
These type threads are snoozers.
Feel free to go get some coffee, and start your own exciting new thread! If it is of interest to me I'll join in, but if it is boring I surely will find something better to do..

In reference to your earlier post......

This is possibly one of the silliest topic questions posed on Audiokarma.

I was unaware that you alone determined what is worthy of discussion, and what is not.

The rest of us are having lots of fun with this thread!
That said, who the F is amtrack1? (and why should anyone care?)

The issue is - one miscalculation on brick and mortar horns like these and you need an air hammer to fix it!

largest_sub_3_071708.jpg

largest_sub_071708.jpg
biggest_subwoofer_23.jpg

I do

Feel free to go get some coffee, and start your own exciting new thread! If it is of interest to me I'll join in, but if it is boring I surely will find something better to do..
I don't give a good Goddamn what you do. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

@onwardjames

To your questions....
That is from the annual LencoHeaven Beauvechain meeting, in Belgium. It might have been from last years meet? No, I was not there; too rich for my blood.
Yes, those are Western Electric horns from way back when. They are mounted in the Beauvechain barn as the in-house speaker system. I did a Bing search for Western Electric horns, and recognized the system. From there, I did a bit of image piracy on the internet.

Thanks for the explanation. How I'd love to hear those.

Aloba

Alobar, if I have a BM, I will certainly be thinking of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom