P-300 - Is This Normal?

Discussion in 'Kenwood-Trio/Kensonic-Accuphase' started by SubWolfer, Sep 13, 2017.

1. SubWolfer

SubWolfer Well-Known Member

Bought a really nice Accuphase P-300 in excellent shape about a year ago.

I know I should have it re-capped but don't know of anyone local that works on these amps.

It works perfect and sounds great, except it makes a noticeable "click" a second or two after it's powered on. Is it normal for the amp to do this or is it a sign something is failing or about to fail?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  2. ManyMoonsAudio

ManyMoonsAudio AKA paul79 Sponsor Subscriber

Is it a very firm sounding snap from the unit itself? Not the speakers? If so, that is your protection relay, and is absolutely normal.
    Really fantastic amp you have there. It is one of my favorites. Make sure it gets in experienced hands when you decide to get the work done. It is worth it.

3. SubWolfer

Yes, it's very firm sounding snap from the unit itself. In fact it does sound like some type of relay switch engaging, now that you mention it. Good to know it's normal.

Any recommendations for folks with "experienced hands" would be appreciated.

4. ManyMoonsAudio

Location? Willing to ship?

5. SubWolfer

I'm in the Detroit area. Of course local or even a few hour drive would be preferred, but yes I'm willing to ship.

The amp sounds really good paired with my CJ tube pre-amp. But I reckon with it being over 40 years old I should have it recapped.

Just wondering, can I actually cause damage running it in un-re-stored condition when it seems to be working properly?

The only thing I found that doesn't work is the headphone out jack. Other than that it seem to be functioning properly. So thats why I ask if it's going to hurt anything.

You know the old adage... 'if it aint broke, don't fix it.' But I reckon that maybe doesn't apply to vintage audio gear. I can certainly take it out of my system and use a set of powered monitors I have, if advised.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  6. ManyMoonsAudio

No, you can play the hell out of it if you want to. I rarely see these with an amp blown, but they do have quite a few other issues that come with age.

Your biggest benefit will be sonic improvements with a restoration. 40+ year old electrolytic capacitors is never a good thing. There are some transistors that need to be replaced, filter capacitors may be leaking and need to go before the chassis gets ate up, as well as enamel cracked resistors that will start smoking for no apparent reason.There are only a couple guys I would send that amp to. Echowars or me.

7. SubWolfer

Good to know I'm likely not hurting anything playing it. Here's a little history about this amp:

It was on eBay but I noticed the seller was local. So I went to look at it. He hooked it up and ran it in his system and it had no issues. Plus it's in excellent cosmetic condition so I grabbed it. Took it home hooked it up and was very happy with my purchase.

He also had the C-200 preamp, also in very clean condition, plus it came with the wood case. I was not sure but it looked so cool so I made him an offer and grabbed the preamp as well.

The amp sounds great with the C-200 but honestly, I kind of like my CJ preamp slightly better. Plus the CJ has a remote and, well, tubes somewhere in the system seem to add a level of sonic richness. But the C-200 is no slouch, however its also 40+ years old so it could use to be restored as well.

Paul, would it be OK to PM you?

Edit: by the way, I don't remember his name but the fellow I bought the amp and preamp from is a member here on AK. And I remember him saying he posted here awhile back about theses pieces. Not sure if that's of any help but I thought I'd mention it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  8. ManyMoonsAudio

The Accuphase P-300 and C-200 are absolutely amazing, and yes, including the preamp. They just need the right touches here and there to unleash their best performance. Truly world class gear that when restored properly, you will have a hard time beating with anything, honestly! These are the pieces that put Accuphase on the map, and they are true statement pieces.

PM anytime.

9. slimecity

slimecity Super Member

I just recapped the P300 and C200.

Amazing build quality. There arent actually many electro caps in the P300 - they are mostly plastic-film types. The main powersupply caps however are giant 40,000 uF electrolytic jobs and I still havent replaced them as this is a major undertaking.....

The speaker relay in the P300 is about the size of a house, you are lucky the protect circuit wasnt playing up in yours actually, this is common and I had to do a lot of work to mine to get it fixed, with echowars' help.