P-710E, The Turntable That Choked The Database

LBPete

Rolling Along
Subscriber
The March Database report contained the first example of a Sansui P-710E turntable. The serial number for this particular turntable is 231009818. Those of you familiar with Sansui Serial numbers will notice that there are zeros for the two digit month code. The database is set up to bounce serial numbers that have a month value greater than 12 and it's a fairly common occurrence. It's easy to transpose a couple of digits.

In this case the month value is less than 1 and there was no default and it kicked an error code "Error 5: Invalid procedure call of argument" and almost 50 of the 214 serial numbers simply dropped out of the table. After screwing around with it unsuccessfully, I had to reach out again to Micron and the folks at the ACCESSFORUMs, for help. He identified the problem and is modifying the code to correctly handle a 00 month.

Now for the interesting part. The 00 month value is not an error, the serial number is accurate as seen in this image.
P-710E turntable.jpg
The serial number looks normal except for the 00 month. It has a separate "date code" sticker. Any guesses on how to read that 038? Judging by the Sansui Logo, this unit may have been produced after the demise of the original Sansui company. If that's the case, the 038 may indicate March of 1988 and this is a Chinese knock off.

Checking the serial numbers on file for other units produced on assembly line 23 in a "1" year, all the units that meet that criteria were produced in 1971 and none were turntables. So, the best guess is, this unit wasn't produced on a traditional Sansui production line. There are other examples of what might be called "non compliant" serial numbers, some of the program timers like the AT-20 for example, I assume any of these units were contracted out to other suppliers.

Any alternate theories?

- Pete

It's not a Y2K issue. The 2 zeros are in the month digits in the serial number. If you want to see more pictures of the actual turntable, it's on that auction site. (Absolutely no affiliation)

Sadly, our late friend Stene could probably shed some light on this. He will be missed.

- Pete

There are other examples of what might be called "non compliant" serial numbers, some of the program timers like the AT-20 for example, I assume any of these units were contracted out to other suppliers.

Any alternate theories?

- Pete

FYI, my good friend Axel of TVK has spend many years on allocating manufacturing factories of Japan-made hifi, which is reasonable easy to identify on electronic equipment sold on the Japanese domestic market by the "T-tag" on the back of the unit (the equivalent of US' FCI marking).

This work was only possible due to good photo taking by sellers on Yahoo Auction, the very reason why I could compile the long lists of serial numbers recently for you.

When you take your time to read Axel's exhaustive work, you will be able to extract all external factories that Sansui used for outsourcing the manufacturingtheir products (even Sony and Yamaha did that). When searching for Sansui, you will notice just about how many unknown factories actually manufactured gear for all Japanese hifi brands....

http://www.thevintageknob.org/tvk_talk/viewtopic.php?f=1477&t=2395

Hail to Axel.

Last edited:
Wow, that's some impressive research! It's hard to imagine how long it took him to compile that information. Thanks for posting. And thank you for all the work you put in bird dogging serial numbers.

It doesn't look like Sansui used subcontractors very often but it's likely the turntable in question here was made by one.

- Pete

Back
Top Bottom